Started bonding, don't think it's going well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
I have never tried to bond bunnies before and I am totally new at this. I did break one of the rules I read about - having them in a neutral space. I hope that didn't mess anything up! I have had Daisy and Cocoa's cages next to each other for a couple weeks now, so the other day I let them both out in the playpen area outside of their cages. Usually just Daisy is in the playpen because Cocoa never seems to want to come out.

Here is what happened:
I sat in the playpen too in case they tried to fight. I opened Cocoa's cage and he came out - immediately mounted Daisy's head! Daisy got scared and ran into her cage. (I left both of their cages open so they could go into a safe spot if needed.) I felt like Daisy was scared of Cocoa. Later she came back out and it kept looking like she was running away from Cocoa. Also, Cocoa went into her cage, which I knew that was probably not good, but he did it a couple of times. The bonding session was about 20 minutes or so.

I feel bad now because I think I did things the wrong way.:( I wanted to introduce them in a neutral territory, but I felt like they already know each other from being "neighbors" and also it can be very hard to get Cocoa out of his cage sometimes. Should I continue the bonding sessions in the playpen? Do you think Daisy is now scared of Cocoa because he mounted her right away?

Daisy might forgive the offense. You won't know unless you try :) Cocoa was doing what buns do when they are let loose in other buns' territory. They go in there and try to tell the original bun that this is "my land". Neutral territory is a very important piece of early bonding.

Cocoa, however, sounds like he likes to stake his land when in the presence of Daisy. Maybe stressing the buns a little prior to introducing them to neutral territory would be helpful. Putting them together to do something like go on a walk in a basket, or sitting together on a running washing machine, or for a car ride. Anything that will throw them (particularly Cocoa) off their usual game, will help even the playing field in neutral territory.

If it was me I wouldn't have both the rabbits cages open. I think that might add a territorial element. Also, it lets the buns run away from each other instead of working out their differences.

Then again that's just my opinion. I've only gone through the bonding process once. I stuck both rabbits in a small pen with me sitting in it as well. It was semi-neutral, but the whole house belonged to my original rabbit at that point.

Good tips! A stressful situation sounds like it might work. I also think it would be better to close both cages if they are together in the playpen again. Especially because Cocoa just ran right into Daisy's cage, and I'm sure she didn't like that!

Another thing I was wondering about, Cocoa has gotten really bad about his litterbox lately. He is constantly peeing everywhere in his cage and NOT in his litterbox! Is this due to him being in love or something? I am getting annoyed because I am always cleaning up after him!
:pssd:

How old is Cocoa? If he's an adolescent, he's going through a phase. If he's mature and neutered, he's reacting to the territorial thing. Either way, should only last a month or so. ;)

If you had them together(ish) that long without a fight, they're doing great. Just keep doing that but watch them closely. :)

sas :bunnydance:

Like Sas said it could last a month, though I have had some last several month.

Big no no letting them into the cage if both can get in. A fight can break out in seconds. In the cage would be a very bad place for one to start.

Pipp wrote:
How old is Cocoa? If he's an adolescent, he's going through a phase. If he's mature and neutered, he's reacting to the territorial thing. Either way, should only last a month or so. ;)

If you had them together(ish) that long without a fight, they're doing great. Just keep doing that but watch them closely. :)

sas :bunnydance:
Cocoa is four and a half years old. He was never neutered. I got him as my first and only bunny so I never saw a need to neuter him. I just added Daisy to the family a month ago, but she is spayed. Now I wish I did have Cocoa neutered, but I feel like he is too old now.

Would running the vacuum while they are in the playpen be a stressful situation? My husband could watch while I ran the vacuum.

We neuter and spay bunnies up to 8 with no problem. Neuters are very easy.

I remember the vet telling me (years ago) that sometimes bunnies don't make it through the neutering surgery so that scared me enough to not want to do it! If Cocoa is not neutered, even after him and Daisy are bonded, will he continue to mount her?

There is always some risk with surgery, but when using a qualified rabbit savvy vet a neuter is a pretty straight forward procedure and a common one. He will want to mate with her if he is not neutered, which could strain the relationship. Though neutering doesn't always stop males from wanting to mate/mount, it usually does the trick.

I have a bonded pair and the female is the one that does the mounting. :D
In her case it's a dominance thing.

Latest posts

Back