Standard Chins

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lishka

Reaction score
I'd get someone in your area to help you out. Most of the judging points are on color and fur and you didn't post photos showing the undercolor or ring definition. It's also difficult to assess the quality of the fur from a photo.

Hey. Those are some of my breeding lines. Do not get rid of them and start over. The type you need is in there. :) Trust me on this one. I have been working those lines they come from for years, and have had two national bob winners come out of them. My rabbits are always consistant and the ones to beat on the show tables. You will get the type and coat in the next generation. you will not be able to find a better line then that. Standard chins need to be posed like this.

bunniesdoves2026.jpg

bunniesdoves2019.jpg

Wendy keeps making that same mistake by getting this breed, and then selling them. Keep them and keep working with them its there. In fact is the doe out of 21? That is one of the best rabbits that I have ever bred. They also go back to my arba national convention winning buck for 2005. The youth winning buck for 2005, and the father of my BOB open winner. Those are three of the best chins that have ever been bred.

There is a bog on the bucks side that was pretty good on the show tables too. His dad is 22b. The one that produced the natiional convention winner.

Wendy should have educated you on these rabbits. she knows better. ;) Don't worry about your body type right now. That will come later. Focus on the fur, and ring color. Since you have my rabbits you are off to a pretty good start. I know on the buck his ring was pretty good. One of the does I sent her was a little wide, but not bad, Coat is the most important thing about this breed. A decent rabbit with a good coat will win the breed(depending on if the judge knows what they are looking at). You want a nice clean, pearl colored ring. I start looking for that ring when they are babies at about four weeks. if they don't have it then, they will either be too dark, or they will never get it all. they are going to have a brownish tint to the coat. As long as you are seeing that ring, its OK, they will molt out of it. However, you don't want to keep babies that have too much brown. You want something that is in between gray, and brown. Go too dark and the color will end up muddy when they are adults. You also want to look for any signs of zig zags in the coat. It will resemble batman, or chicken wire.

Once you have taken a look at the coat, then look at their body type. I have gotten rid of bad coated chins that had good type. You want a rabbit that has nice depth, and roundness over the hip when you set them up. Once you keep working the lines it will come. I know its there, because this is my line you are working with. And its one of the best you can get a hold of.

Don't worry about scrapping them for other rabbits. Chances are, they are not going to have the coat and type, and you will end starting all over again.

And a suggestion, don't buy from tex(sorry tex! LOL!)His are cross bred. Mine come from a pure line. Though you will see whites and every now and then some blacks.

If you have any questions drop me a message. :)

Also my chins are pigs. They will eat a cup of feed per day. I was curious to what you are feeding because they look kind of rough there. I have mine on purina fiber 3 and they are looking pretty good right now. After looking at the pictures, the coat is there. Just be patient and wait and see what the next generation produces. You should get something pretty decent out of them. They are related, so you may want to try locating a non related, or semi related buck or doe to breed into the line. I would suggest trying to pick up something from one of the breeders at ARBA nationals if you can make it one. I hear the mcmahons out your way have some pretty good rabbits.

How are they are showing for you/

BTW the bunny on the bottom is 03. i think he may be the father of one of yours. his dad is bog. The other guy may possibly be a half brother. he is the one that took best in group at a show a couple of months ago.

Do you have any for sale right now? I am getting two more from wendy. She has a doe and a buck. She is getting out of them again. She is only keeping about 10 elops. I really like the chins. And Atlas is a lovebug. He is sooooo sweet. That's why I have not posted any of them for sale on the site.

Atlas is out of Dixon's 01 and Zimmermans. Ichabod is Atlas and Stars son, I am getting Star soon. Moon is Yours too. She is out of Dixons 302 and Zims. And Powder Puff is out of Atlas and Star as well. I just had a litter from Moon and Atlas. There are 6 of them. Moon is a good mommy. I think I am posing them wrong. BUT, they have good coat and ring definition!!! I think Atlas and Ichabod seem a little long in the shoulder.

Also, do you know who I could get another pair from to do more breedings?

03 is the grandfather of my babies. and is the father of Star! So all of mine are from your lines!! Even Star and the buck I am getting. :)

I haven't shown them yet because all the shows I have been too, there were no other chins. I had arba judge kitty lynch look at ichabod and she said the only thing she noticed was the shoulders. The coats are actually nice. It must be the pics.. they were molting. The one of Atlas is new. I feed BlueSeal show hutch. I can't get Purina here..or Nutrena. I will not feed ANYTHING Manna Pro and theat is the only other option here. It's hard to get the Blue Seal as it is. LOL. It is 17%.

The only people I know of out that way are mcmahons. If you go to nationals this year, buy from chuck guest, tom berger, kenny wilson, nancy chausee, chuck henderson, the hilty family, and oliver flynn. Those are your top SC breeders in the us, not including myself. I am not going to nationals this year. I plan on going next year. I am michigan, so I am too far away from you. :( Jenny bishop form michigan also has a decent start on a line from out west. Not sure if she is planning to attend nationals this year.

You can try contacting chuck guest to see if you knows of someone near you that may also have them that may not be showing them. i think his email is [email protected] he is really nice,and can also help you with any questions you have.

I wouldn't worry about not having competition. I show mine whether there are other breeders there or not. People are not going to know you have them if you don't show them. I have had rabbits that were the only ones shown give them competition on the 4-class tables. Sometimes you will get judges that lack experience with the breed. But when you get a good judge that really knows them, listen to them.

Blue seal sounds pretty good. I know what you mean about the manna pro. i had a bunch of rabbits die on it last year. My line is bred out on a very high fiber, low protein diet. About 20-25%, with about 15-16% protein.

I knew wendy had a couple left. we tried to get them back her, but the transport fell through.

What else is in 302's pedigree?

This is the body type you want to look for in the babies. You get a good one out of them, and you shoul dget something that will give the 4-class tables some competition.

bunniesdoves2016.jpg

The tricky thing about this breed is a lot of times you will get a rabbit with awesome type, and then they stop molting halfway through the molt. it took me a year to get my 21 doe ito full coat, and when she was she hwas hard to beat.

When can he pick it up? Cause I have a couple of other people wanting some rabbits too. Would you be interested in some of jenny bishops too? We've kind of been sharing buyers lately. lol. She lives on the other side of the state from me. $15.00 a bunny. Though I may cut a deal on pairs. I have three litters right now. i have three or four people I have to split rabbits between. Probably going to breed again soon. all these babies look nice so far.

I know jenny has babies ready to go too, and is going to breed again.

Let me know when you want to do a pickup. Should be ok as long as I have some rabbits left for a pickup in july.

OK let me see what I have got, and I will get back to you tonight. I may let go of a nice little jr buck I was planning to keep. I will still have his two sisters.

How soon do you think your friend can pick them up? Can they do a pickup from my place. I don't have a reliable vehicle to meet at shows. The next show isn't for another two months. I live in southern michigan.

Latest posts

Back