Spraying problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myer_theeBun

Reaction score
So my bun is at the age where he starts spraying now. Since I'm a minor my parents won't pay for him to get neutered so it'll have to wait until I get a job this summer.

Any idea how to reduce this behavior until I get him fixed?

Looking back at your prior posts, it looks like your rabbit is already 9 months of age. Unfortunately, if you have to wait another 5 or 6 months before he gets neutered, it's possible that his hormonal behaviors will become ingrained (permanent). It's a risk you'll be taking by waiting that long. There's no way to reduce that hormonal behavior outside of neutering, though the severity of the behavior has the potential to increase in intensity.

You may want to see if there's a way you can do some other side jobs or such to raise some funds before then, or see if you can make arrangements with someone to pay them back. Perhaps start with calling some local rabbit vets to get a price quote for the procedure so you'll know what amount will be needed. Prices can vary greatly depending on your location and the vet.

The price of a neuter should've been considered as part of "owning a rabbit" cost. Unfortunately, that isn't often explained to those buying a rabbit for the first time.

Looking back at your prior posts, it looks like your rabbit is already 9 months of age. Unfortunately, if you have to wait another 5 or 6 months before he gets neutered, it's possible that his hormonal behaviors will become ingrained (permanent). It's a risk you'll be taking by waiting that long. There's no way to reduce that hormonal behavior outside of neutering, though the severity of the behavior has the potential to increase in intensity.

You may want to see if there's a way you can do some other side jobs or such to raise some funds before then, or see if you can make arrangements with someone to pay them back. Perhaps start with calling some local rabbit vets to get a price quote for the procedure so you'll know what amount will be needed. Prices can vary greatly depending on your location and the vet.

The price of a neuter should've been considered as part of "owning a rabbit" cost. Unfortunately, that isn't often explained to those buying a rabbit for the first time.
I see. If he does continue to spray he'll still be loved just as much!

He was also a rescue, my grandfather breeds rabbits for meat and unfortunately I could only save one. I was aware of him needing to be fixed and did recerch but id rather have a bun that pees everywhere than no bun at all❤️

I still plan on getting him fixed even if it doesn't stop the spraying, gotta be sure he doesn't get reproductive cancer or anything.

Spraying urine isn't the only potential hormonal behavior. Aggression, lunging, biting, forgetting potty training, excessive destructive chewing, excessive mounting (of you or of other objects), inability to bond with another rabbit-- these are all potential behavior changes that could begin to manifest as he remains unneutered.

Honestly, males are typically neutered for 2 primary reasons. One is to prevent the above named behavioral issues. The other is to allow for future bonding with another rabbit. The reproductive cancer thing applies more to females.

Please keep doing your research. Always a smart idea before you bring a vulnerable pet into your home.

I will be optimistic that your parents provide funds to get your boy neutered by a rabbit-savvy DVM soon. Hope you may also have rabbit-knowledgeable friends willing to lend a loan.

A bun that pees everywhere and sprays you and the room or environment is a challenge! He would be confined in a cage, is my suspicion, if the odor becomes obstrusive or too much for your parents noses. Their unneutered urine smell is strong.

What do you use for bedding in his litter box? Does he get free roam time?

I hope your parents will do research and learn the proper nutrition needed for a lagomorph pet and they will provide vet care and food including hay for the next 10-12 years until you have a steady income.

Rescue boy Regal/Big Handsome's urine instantly stunk up the house prior to being neutered! We had a wellness exam and neuter appt. booked prior to transitioning him from a shelter where the focus was dogs and cats.

This website has tons of beneficial info on caring for a bun! Rabbits Indoors

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_FosterBoyRegalBigHandsomeMar24_13RS.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_FosterBoyRegalBigHandsomeMar24_13RS.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
  • JSBPhotoCR_HormonaRescueBoyRegalMar5_2013RST.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_HormonaRescueBoyRegalMar5_2013RST.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • JSBPHotoCR_2013RescueFlemishSnugglesRST.jpg
    JSBPHotoCR_2013RescueFlemishSnugglesRST.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • JSBPhotoCR_LHS_RalphPeriscopeByBrushesBin.jpg