Spinach ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessie

Reaction score
I bought Eittle Bunny some spinach she loved it . Now I'm scared because it is not on the safe food list. I just assumed it was good :(

Ive been feeding my rabbit spinach for quite some time now. They suggest that it is fed in moderation and not too often though because it is high in calcium. I have never had a problem with spinach though. You should be ok!

Holland_Lop wrote:
Ive been feeding my rabbit spinach for quite some time now. They suggest that it is fed in moderation and not too often though because it is high in calcium. I have never had a problem with spinach though. You should be ok!
That is great news thanks :)So how often? I want her to have a large veriaty of different foods.

Some people say to only feed spinach once or twice a week, because of the calcium levels.

However, I'm in the camp that thinks that no veggie can have as much calcium as pellets. If a rabbit is going to have an issue with calcium, it's probably due to pellets, not something green and leafy. Personally, I'm ok with feeding spinach every day. If either of my rabbits had bladder stones/sludge I would re-think it, but since they seem to process calcium normally I don't see a problem with it.

I usually buy 3-4 different bundles of veggies a week, and rotate so one week he'll have spinach in his daily salad and another week it will be something different. My vet actually suggested that I make sure he has calcium rich veggies like spinach, kale, and collard greens because he has problems with his teeth. Once I weened him off his pellets, and introduced more hay and fresh veggies his teeth problems disappeared...but I am still monitoring every few months to make sure they are still doing ok.

Id try introducing veggies one at a time to make sure not to upset his system, but I certainly think veggies are the best with limited pellets.

Spinach is definitely safe, but it's usually recommended to vary it with other veggies because of its high level of oxalates.

As I always have read and known, it's safe in small quantities and it can be toxic in large. (Which would be why it ison a "safe" list with astericks after it explaining this.):)

Our Library says it's on safe in moderation. So, same thing.

Oxylates actually bind to calcium and prevent absorption so it passes out through the urine which can lead to sludge. Still a moderate amount of spinach is not in itself harmful. Variety is the key.

Latest posts

Back