Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaela

Reaction score
As I'm sure some of you know, I want to getPebble and Ebony spayed, for the health reasons obviously, but alsobecause I'm getting 2 more bunnies in a few months, and it'll help withbonding.:)

I'm switching vets after a terrible experience with the last one and Berri's abscesses, some may remember:(

We've called one place that's not too far away, they charge £50, saythey have very high survival rates and the receptionist said she hadhers done there. But they say to starve them before the op :X

Should we get it done here anyway, of course I won't starve them thenight before, but I'veheard a rabbit spay is similar to a catspay, is that right? So the vet would be able to doitanyway.:?

How much do your vets charge for a spay (especially UK members)? Would you use this vet (everyone:))?

Thanks, I'm so nervous already!

It's funny they say to starve rabbits the night before...

Initially when I booked my bun in to be neutered the receptionist toldme to starve him overnight (and I didn't know any better :shock:), butwhen I got there in the morning the lady I spoke to said he should havebeen eating...when I told her that I was told to keep him off food shewas really surprised, and told me they'd give him something to eat!

I would ask to speak to the vet and ask how experienced they are withrabbits, quite honestly, because a vet should know that a rabbit needsto keep eating...if they're not aware of a rabbit's digestive systemthen I'd be a bit worried about taking my bunnies there for spaying!!

About 12 years ago, I lost a bunny who was getting neutered, so I'm very nervous about bunnies getting surgery anyway!!

Cheers
Fiona

Thanks,

I know, this is the receptionist, probably hasn't a clue what she'stalking about.:rollseyes

Thing is, rabbits aren't a really popular pet over here, well at leastpeople who have them don't spay and neuter them to often...so thiscould be the best we find! There are a few more places I want to try,but they are further and Pebble and Ebony don't like being in thecar....:?

Gosh I get so anxious about this! BTW I'm sorry you lost a bun in a neuter, that's my biggest fear.:(

Your 50 Pounds is equivilent to $100 (about) here....which, is cheap!! It can
cost up to $600 (american $$$$) here.

What concerns me is they're telling you "to starve" your bun before the surgery.
Any good Vet knows that buns cannot vomit....therefore, they can eat upuntil the surgery. I've never had a Vet tell me not to feedor water my buns before having it done.

The only difference between dogs/cats & rabbits is the amount of anesthesia
used during the surgery. The person that handles this HAS to know what he/she
is doing. Too much & the rabbit can die.Too little & the surgery will be extremely painful and caneffect the rabbit for the rest of its life.

My gut feeling is to tell you to keep looking for another Vet.

As you know, I am getting my lionhead lady spayed on the 28th of this month.

I am very nervous, yes.

The receptionist also told me "No food from 10pm the night before until after the spay"....I said "Okay".

SHE IS GETTING FOOD!

It's probably just the receptionist that doesn't know any better. Sheis told to tell people that, as it is common for dog/cat spays/neuters.

The receptionist told me that they have done rabbit spays/neutersbefore, I just don't know how many. I talked to the Holland Lop breederin town and she told me she takes her dogs and cats to the vet that Iam taking Madilyn-Mae to. She said the only time she has to take herbuns there is when they need a health check to fly on a plane.

Ah, I am just going to hope that she will be okay when she goes for her spay. I am sure she will be!

- Amy:brownbunny

I think when the receptionist says to fast thembefore the surgery, it's probably likeAmy said, becausethat's what you do for dogs and cats. I would maybe phone and ask totalk with the vet when he's available and then ask.

I'm hopefully getting the girls spayed during Spring Break too.

Hi Michaela,

I think you should keep on looking for a new vet to be honest. My vetsand the receptionist both told me not to starve my bunny. I'd beconcerned if the receptionist is telling you to starve the bunny. Thereceptionist at my vets always looks after my bunnies after an op andtheir spays, and is totally clued up about bunnies.

Also, £50 is reasonable - i paid £45 which was really good.

I would ask to speak to the vet and see what the vet says. If the vet says the same than worry.

Ok, I have a few more numbers for other vets andtomorrow we are going to call around them all and ask them the samequestions. We'll call the first one again too, and ask to speak to thevet.

If the receptionist is anything like they were at the last vets we wentto she wouldn't know a thing, (the ones there were all about my age,they had no idea).

Another question - is it better to have them get spayed at the same time? And should they go in the same carrier?

Thanks for all your opinions so far:)Getting them spayed is definitely for the best, right?

Ooh, forgot to say, I hope Madilyn-Mae, Pebblesand Poppy's spays all go well too, seems the three of us are gonna beworried about our girls!

:pray::pray::pray:

JadeIcing wrote:
I would ask to speak to the vet and see what the vet says.If the vet says the same than worry.
:yeahthatMichaela, I know how much your babies mean to you. I knowyou'll want to be confident in getting this done. I woulddefinitely ask to speak to the vet and ask some of the questions on thelist for rabbit-savvy vets, which I'm sure you know:D. GoodLuck! You too Amy!

Are your two girls bonded at the moment?

If they are bonded, then take them in to get done together.Much less stressful to have a friend around. I have all myfoster siblings done at the same time so they can keep each othercompany.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Are your two girls bonded at the moment?

If they are bonded, then take them in to get done together.Much less stressful to have a friend around. I have all myfoster siblings done at the same time so they can keep each othercompany.

--Dawn
Yep, they are bonded sisters.:)

I've been bad, I haven't talked to the vet. Ishould write myself a sticky note and call tomorrow to see if the vetcan speak with me.

I would rather talk in person, but the vet clinic is about 35 - 40 minutes one way.

I just have to suck-it-up and call!

- Amy

they said to starve them before the op?!!?!?!?!?!?
That is NOT correct, one of the first things I have learnt whilst studywas that small animal should ALWAYS have food available before andafter anaesthesia cause of the way the stomachs function!
So my advice would be always bring food with you to the vet and tellthem to put it in their after they wake up if they seem funny about ittake your bunny and RUN!

When I took Bangbang to get sterilized I took her to different vet tothe one i worked at as they didn't have Isoflurin which is a bunnyfriendly anaesthetic they had halothane which is NOT good for bunnies(much higher mortality rate), The vet questioned (interrogated me)about what I was getting it done, at first i was taken aback.... Thenafter a bit I got annoyed and questioned him as to why he wasquestioning me!!! In the end he said not many people have rabbits seento by a vet let alone sterilized, and however that it was a good ideaas it does have many health and behavioural benefits. I gave him thefood and such and he was very pleased that I had brought all those bitsand pieces and told me to call in the afternoon....
I think I called about 4-5 times that day .... but i was so worried!!!!!
Like any procedure you can NEVER be sure it will go without a hiccupwith dogs and cats probably 99% of the time it goes fine, with rabbitsthe percentage. Most vets haven’t had as much experience with 'exotic'animals. However if you can find a vet (definitely speak to him or her)and they say all the right things like, make sure u provide food andbring food in, check what anaesthetic is being used, and how muchexperience they have had with rabbits spays/neuters that is all you cando.
All you can do is be positive and hope it all goes well. Chances are itwill, however you do need to understand it is an operation and like anyprocedure things can go wrong.
And its fine to worry and worry and worry, I see thousands of spays andneuters happen every year and I still worry about every one of them! Itjust means you care a heck of a lot about your pets and I think that’sa wonderful trait in any person!
Woah this ended up being long…SORRY!!!!!:baghead

Michaela wrote:
Ok, I have a few more numbers for other vets and tomorrow weare going to call around them all and ask them the same questions.We'll call the first one again too, and ask to speak to the vet.

If the receptionist is anything like they were at the last vets we wentto she wouldn't know a thing, (the ones there were all about my age,they had no idea).

Another question - is it better to have them get spayed at the same time? And should they go in the same carrier?

Thanks for all your opinions so far:)Getting them spayed is definitely for the best, right?

HI Michaela, i took my two bonded sisters together in the same carrier,it really brought them closer and they helped eachother so much afterthe op. The vet said they were washing eachother, cuddling up andsharing the carrot i brought them! Bless :)

Dont forget to take some of their pellets and a dish of their favouriteveg to eat when they come round. Its very important bunnies eat afteran operation - mine were far too interested in the cabbge and parsley ibrought for them than the stitches and other animals! And my vet let mesit with them for half an hour after the op.

It really will bring them closer together - my two are totally inseperable now and its wonderful to see.

You definitely are doing the right thing getting them spayed, if youdont they will for certain start fighting in the future and lose ANYbond they have at the moment. Also, you will be preventing them gettingcancer of the womb - around 90% upwards of female bunnies get uterinecancer by the age of 5, and from what i've heard its such a distressfuland painful time for both the bunny and the owner.

xx

I had my bonded girls spayed at the sametime. I'm glad that I did so that they could comfort eachother. If fact, anytime one bunny has to go to the vet I takeboth of them.

I do recommend that both of them be brought, tothe Vet & home, in the same cage or carrier. Whenthey come home, do not seperate them. I have found that theyremain bonded if they are not seperated, at this time (aftersurgery). I have also found that bonding 2 rabbitsafter surgery (male & female, not the same sex) is a"breeze". In the past 3 months, I have successfully bonded 4pairs and one trio this way.!! Seems they
like having a "friend" close to them after it.
Charlotte

Latest posts

Back