Soon to be a new bunny mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faith.Dungy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Faith. We decided a few months ago that we would like to add a rabbit to our family and started doing some reading on the internet to be sure. With
Christmas coming up we decided to find a bunny in need of a home instead of buying one. We found two people looking to rehome their bunnies. According to them it's either find it a new home or put it in the shelter. We are still in the process of communicating with them, hopefully it works out and we can bring one of them home. Either way I decided it's time I join a group and start learning first hand about bunny care.

Faith

Welcome to the forum :D

Sounds like you have done your research and either (or both :p) of those buns would be lucky to have you.

I hope you can learn even more here and find us friendly too :)

I look forward to seeing you around, and learning about any buns that are lucky enough to come into your home.

Take care

Tracy

:hello& :welcome1to the forum!

It is really great your going to take in a bunny. You are wise to get all your information before you get your bunny. Whichever one you get it will be a very lucky bunny.

Rabbits are great animals with unique personalities. I have 16 indoor bunny's and each one has their unique identity. I look forward to seeing pictures of the bunny you get and hearing about your life as a bunny slave. Dogs have masters, cats have staff but bunny's have slaves. :)

Hi Faith! Did you just post on the lionheadUSA list today? If so - I'm the one who mentioned this forum.....WELCOME!

Feel free to look around and ask any questions you might have.

This afternoon I picked up the little netherland dwarf. I was considering adopting both but the lady with the lionhead wanted $100 for the bunny. I tried explaining how the shelters and rescues in the area adopt their bunnies for much cheaper and the rabbits are fixed but she would not budge. I felt bad but no way could I swing $100 just for the bunny.
The man with the netherland just wanted to find a good home for the bunny. He lived kinda far from us so we met him half way and he just asked for gas money. So now I have a very sweet and friendly bunny in the house. He came with a cage but I'm not sure if it is big enough, it is 1ftx2ft. he didn't have any toys so we gave him some bunny "toys". I gave him a rag and a empty toilet paper roll that I stuffed a piece of apple in. Tomorrow I go bunny shopping. The little bunny LOVES the rag and has been happily tossing it and digging in the rag.
We already love this little guy. My daughter named him Buttercup and I think it'll work fine for a name,lol. He is not fixed so we need to look into that. We are so excited but trying to be calm so Buttercup can adjust. We have many bunny adventures ahead of us but please make suggestions!

101_1542.jpg

101_1543.jpg

Buttercup looks precious - I'm so happy you folks took him in.

A couple of quick questions...

Did the man give you any of his pellets? Did he tell you what brand he used?

Also - did he say for sure if Buttercup was a she or a he? Give you any idea of his age?

He looks young - not too young - but still like a younger rabbit...so it should be fun to watch him grow..

They are Kaytee pellets and I remember reading somewhere that they aren't the best. He gave me the cage, the pellets and some pine bedding. He said Buttercup is a male and I'm pretty sure on that since you can see his testicles. The man said they got him in July and that he was about 3 months old then, so I believe that would make him about 8 months old.

Wow - I was close - I was thinking he was 6-7 months old. And if you can see his testicles...yep............he's a male.

Welcome to the world of being owned by a rabbit....cause it won't be long before Buttercup has you wrapped around his finger...uh...paw!

Welcome to the group.

One thing get rid of thecedar/pinebedding now. Use a cat litter box with shredded newspaper or Yesterday's New or Feline Pine. Even hay will do.

Very cute rabbit!

I my opinion I think the cage is too small but he still looks young so you could probably wait a little before getting a new one. I didn't really have the money for a new cage when i got my Kookie and I found an old dog cage on craigslist that I fixed up with some chicken wire I had in the basement to make a bottom to it it was fine for a year then the cage started to rust and I had to spring for a new on on Petsmart. My rabbit is spoiled so he got a very big cage (47" L x 22" D x 37" H) but I can understand if you don't have that money like I once did. If that's the case if you know someone or know yourself you can find progects online to build your own I'll link you one I found and of course you can ajust the mesurement to whatever you'd like. I'm going to be working on a cage in the summer hopefully for my bunnies, http://www.yardandgardenstructures.com/mine/rabbit.html , they're so spoiled.

Petsmart Cage I own: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753643

Kookie in his cage:
cage.jpg

Link I found to bulid one: http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/rabbit_hutch_introduction.html

Your bunny is so adorable. Do you know if the previous owner had Buttercup neutered or not? Neutering is best once they're over 6mo because it give them a more calm and easy going personality. Also if he's not neutered he'll likely spray.

Feel free to post any questions you have in the forum and our library section on the main homepage is full of great information. :)

I too think the cage is FAR too small. You might want to look into an NIC cage. You can find pictures of them in the Photo Philes forum. They can be made to fit in whatever space you need them to and are relatively cheap for the amount of space you can give a bun :)

It's good you have the pellets. If you want to change to a different brand then you need to make a slow transition from one brand to the other, slowly replacing the old food with a bit of new food. So like start with 100% old food, then in a few days go to like 90% of the old food and 10% of the new food, and in a few days go to 80% of the old food and 20% of the new food, etc, until you get to 100% of the new food.

I too would suggest getting him neutered asap.

Why did the guy give this cute little chap up? He is so lucky that you have taken him in. What a Christmas present for him! And you :D

pla725 wrote:
Welcome to the group.

One thing get rid of thecedar/pinebedding now. Use a cat litter box with shredded newspaper or Yesterday's New or Feline Pine. Even hay will do.
First let me say congratulations and to say your bunny is adorable! I love the smoke coloring of his ears, beautiful. Welcome to the wonderful world of being a bunny slave, I look forward to hearing your stories. You should start a blog in the Bunny blog section.

I agree definitely stay away from the cedar bedding. Use only pine if it has been kiln dried. The kiln dried process gets all the harmful oils out and makes it safe for rabbits. I use kiln dried pinepellets that are super absorbant. There are a lot of different types available, bunny's are very smart and your bun will catch on quick to use a litter box. Don't use ground up corn cobs as a litter, rabbits don't digest corn and it can create blockage in their digestive tract.

I think I have posted in other threads of yours, but I thought I should formally welcome you in your introduction thread... So, welcome to RO! :)

Latest posts

Back