Some questions from a new rabbit owner.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parablank

Reaction score
1. Is it possible for them to get diarrhea from transition of hay? The breeder I got him from (please don't start debates in here) used straw hay, so....

2. My rabbits feces are long, not little balls, but not watery. Is this normal?

3. I have a cage that uses the entire cage as the litter box (don't worry, have plenty of cardboard), but can he eat his cecotropes this way?

Thanks!

I don't think its possible to cause diarheaa from a change in hay. But you wanna mix the old with the new and then take the old away bit by bit.
I'm not sure about the long poops. If never seen long poops not be all soft before. Are you sure its not cecetropes your seeing? Yep your bun will have no problem eating cecetropes using the entire cage. Fraggles does that and I never see any cecetropes but I see her reach her head underneath herself then come up chewing. She always looks so happy doing this.

Rabbits can be very sensitive to changes in their diets. How long have you had him? It could also be just from the stress of moving to a new home. Either way, I'd try some Benebac or other probiotic and see if that helps.

As for cecotropes, most rabbits eat them directly from their anus, so it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you litter train your rabbit, you won't need a wire bottom at all.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back