Some questions about spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina

Reaction score
I will be taking Katrina in to get Spayed inApril (perfect time because I have three days in a row off work due toexams). So here are my questions:

How long will it normally take for a bunny to recover from spaying?

How much do I need to watch over her during the recovery time?

How long does a vet normally keep a bunny (I have an exam at7pm the day that I wanted to take her in so I am hoping either I willget her back before 6 or the vet will keep her overnight)?

How much will spaying help with peeing? Katrina will NEVER pee out ofher chage. However, she lately has decided that she does nto care touse her litter box and hardly ever pees in it. Will spaying help withthis or is there something else I should try now to get her back in thelitter box (and I do know about soaking it up with a papertowel andplacing that in the litter box)

I think that's it for now. Thank you very much for the help.

How old is Katrina? I've found the younger the bun is, the faster they bounce back.

My young fosters who get spayed at 4-6 months old are pretty much backto normal by the next day, and are usually eating the same day as theoperation.

Wildfire was 2 and a half when she was done, and she was absolutlymiserable. I had to syringe feed her mashed up food for acouple days before she started eating on her own.

Make sure she's got pain meds, and have a feeding syringehandy. If she hasn't eaten anything by the next morning,syringe her some mashed up pellets before giving her the pain meds(she's supposed to have a full tummy with the pain meds).

As for the pee, clean up any spots with vinegar water (50/50 mix).

--Dawn

I have done the clean up thing with vinegarwater, putting paper towel in the litter box that was used to soak upthe pee.. I even washed the entire bottom of the cage (just plasticsheets) in the tub and sprayed them down. She still pees all over them.It's not that she has a specific spot it's just anywhere the isn't herlitter box. She used the first one the most but it was a tiny cornerbox and she would fill it up within a day. I got another one but Ithink the sides were too high for her so she didn't use it. Well I wasin Whistler my mother bought her another new one with lower sides totry and get her to use it but still, little luck. I don't know what'sgoing on anymore. As for the age though.. she will be about 5-6 monthsfor the dates I'm looking at.

At six months I think she'll bounce back prettyquickly. I bet she'll start eating before she leaves the vetsoffice, and she'll be back to normal in 2-3 days.

Which vet are you taking her too?

Are you from the lower mainland? Or was Whistler a long wayfor you? I went to Whistler for the first time a few weeksago, it's just beautiful!

--Dawn

I actually went to Whistler to visit a friend.First time going to the West coast ever but I've always wanted to. Iactually live in London, On. She will be going to the vet my family hasalways used. When I got Katrina I called my local vet to see if anyonethere knew anything about rabbits and it just so happened that the vetwe have always used in the office specializes in "exotic" pets and isone of the two best vets in my city. So yeah, I'm not so worried abouthow it will go. I'm a little worried but pretty much at ease. Thanksfor the answers.

Latest posts

Back