Some needed information

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la

Reaction score
Anakin is reaching that 6 monthmark. We decided when we got him that since Tiny and he are oppositesexes we would need to get them both fixed in time. I haven't had thediscussion with the vet about neutring and spaying them yet,but we need to make appoitments for it to be done.

I wanted to ask a few questions before I went and discussed it with him(assuming we wont' have to wait awhile for anakin to get his).

1. How much does it usually cost?

2. Will they have to keep them overnight?

3. What should I expect when they do come home?

4. How long is their healing time?

5. If you had two rabbits would you have them fixed at the same time,or at different times, if different times which would you get fixedfirst?

6. Will this mellow them out some? (Anakin is very terrortial and he ismaybe 6 months at the oldest. He is really bad about when I let Tinyout and not him. He chases her around his cage anytime she goes nearhis, and today he huffed at her and kept lunging to bite her.)

1. It varies. Talk to your vet.

2. They shouldn't unless there are complications. Almost surely you'll be taking them home later that day.

3. Some soreness, lethargy. You'll want to limit their activity so nostitches are pulled or cuts reopened. The vet should give you meds forthe pain.

4. Full healing time can reach a month. Usually around 1-2 weeks they're basically fully healed.

5. I can't see a problem getting them done at the same time or one dayafter the other as long as they're both the right age. Makes it easierfor them 'cause they don't have to see the other one running aroundhaving a good time while the first is healing.

6. Yes, it puts some hormones in check. Because they're so young theirterritorial behaviours haven't yet become a habit. They should calmright down.

Hi La! When Bun Bun got neutered...1)the cost was $190 because he got his teeth filed, but im guessing justthe neutering is $100. 2) they didn't keep him overnight, they normallydon't 3) expect normal behavior once they get home. Don't letthem play too much, they might hurt themselves. Bun Bun hidunder the bed for about a day, but i can understand why...4)healingtime is about 10 days. During that, no crazy exercises. 5)fixing them together i believe is okay. But not quite sure onthat...I'm sure someone here on the forum knows that :pand 6)neutering and spaying normally calms them down as far as aggression andwanting to mount everything. But bunnies will bebunnies...Good luck!!

ditto to everything Shuu said...........off thetop of my head, i would talk to Bunnydude about two being done atonce....he just had Amber and Devon fixed at the same time.

Since Tiny is older, you might want to talk toyour vet about doing some blood work on her. They can checkfor kidney and liver problems, diabetes, etc. She's not oldenough that it's necessary, but it is a good precaution.

Mocha's spay cost about $180. It would have been closer to $100 but I opted for the laser incisions.

Keep their favorite treats ready for them when they comehome. Some rabbits (like my Mocha) need encouragement to eatafter a surgery.

And don't forget that new bunnie toys are almost mandatory after neutering. ;)

la wrote:
Anakin is very terrortial and he is maybe 6months at the oldest. He is really bad about when I let Tiny out andnot him. He chases her around his cage anytime she goes near his, andtoday he huffed at her and kept lunging to bite her.
Has Anakin gone to the "dark side"? :D

It's probably best to do them at the same time. I had twogirls I was attempting to bond. I sent one to get spayed, andwhen she came back, the other one was HORRIBLE to her. Allthe bonding work was out the window and we had to start over.Sometimes, separations, even short ones, can cause trouble.

Best of luck,

Laura

Cost: Neuter/$90, Spay/$125

The vet that did it has a standard policy to keep them overnight (at noextra cost) justin case there are any complications.

They both had some soreness and were a bit lethargic. Their activitywas limited so no stitches are pulled or cuts reopened. Pain wasn'tmuch of an issue because they were both given pain meds during theirovernight stay. Within a day they were their regular goofie selves.

It took about 2 weeks for them to heal.

We had them both done at the same time (Mostly so I could do all of my worrying for both of them at the same time ;)) .

~Jim

PS>> 3 done...4 to go!!

We stoped by the vet today. Anakin has ascheduled check-up in two weeks, then we will go into more detail aboutthe sugery. The recptonist told me it is only 85 dollars to have himneutered, but she couldn't find the vost of spaying, which we'll justtalk to the vet about. The thing that I love about the vet wefound was that he seems to really love rabbits. Tiny took to him whenwe took her to have her check up. He ran all the necessary tests on herabout six months ago, at the end of August we're going to take her backfor another check up. The vet said to bring her in yearly, but we feelmore comfortable bringing her in every six months. I was suprised tosee Tiny cuddling the vet. She never takes to strangers, so I'm hopingthat Anakin takes to him as well. I was smart enough to ask for thecontainer to bring the poop sample in this time (last time we weren'taware and the assistants tried to physically get her to poop... what apissed rabbit).

He's still in between the dark and good side. Heh.

FreddysMom wrote:
i would talk to Bunnydude about two being done at once....hejust had Amber and Devon fixed at the same time.
Bunnydude here:)

Anakin will definitely recover faster than Tiny, because a spay is muchmore invasive than a neuter. Mine were fixed on Tuesday, and Devon (mymale) is almost back to his normal self, Amber (my female) is still alittle out of sorts.

Do your two bunnies live in the same cage? If they do, I wouldreccomend separating them during recovery. Anakin will likely be up andrunning a lot quicker, and this might bother and stress out Tiny. Ifthey live in separate cages, but usually have playtime together (likemy bunnies do), then I would reccomend taking Anakin up to Tiny's cageafter Anakin is recovered. This way they don't lose their bond.

Depending on your vet's schedule, you could probably get them in on thesame day. Thankfully, my vet was able to do this. I dropped them bothoff in the morning and picked them both off at night.

If that is impractical, then I would get the female done first,because males can still impregnate females for acouple of weeks after getting neutered.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

Good luck,
Bunnydude:dude:

(Kinda late on this one)

I had both of mine altered at the same time. If youwant to do one at a time, get the female done first, as it takes hermuch longer to recover than a male. I separated them fromabout 3 months till the spay and neuter and kept them separated for amonth after the surgery. Separate them now and duringrecovery. Keep us posted =)

Latest posts

Back