soft stools

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunter

Reaction score
I am still having a problem with soft stools, mybunny is only on timothy hay, oats and pellets. Is thereanything else that I can give her that will keep her stoolshard? Could I begiving her to many oats? I haven'tgiven her any vegs or fruit because I am trying to get this undercontrol. I know they have cecotropes? But not 5=6 times a day?

Some rabbits simply don't have the greatestdigestive systems. Adding a lot of fiber oftenhelps. A friend of mine found improvement in the messydroppings after beginning a de-worming program.

You might want to take a fecal sample in to have examined for parasites. (Cost is approx. $14) and go from there.

Pam

Hi Grunter,

Sorry this is still going on. With what s/he's been through,with medications and diet changes, it could be a reaction.What type of pellets are you giving the little one? Justtimothy hay and water for a day might show a difference. Shemay be getting too many carbs or calcium via the oats andpelletsand not taking in enough of fiber. Do youhave any Nutri-Cal in the house? It wouldn't hurt to boosther appetite and immune system if she were to have a pea sized dropeach day for the next couple of days. As Pamnock says, usesparingly.

Dr. Susan Brown is an expert on rabbits. Here's a copy of herarticle about softstools.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5&SourceID=43

-Carolyn

Great article Carolyn!

Another cause of a sluggish intestinal system can be poor nervedevelopment in the intestinal system due to genetic factors.The is often associated with the Homozygous English Spottinggene. GI stasis isnot uncommon in these cases.

Pam

This was a great article, Carolyn, thank you somuch, I am going to try this because it sounds like what shehas. This article really hit home, because I have beencleaning her and her cage every morning and evening. It is becoming sotime consuming. Thank you , thank you!!!! I will keep youposted! Hopefully it will work.

Oh, Grunter,

I so hope it helps!! When I saw you posted again, I worried it was more bad news.

Thank you so much for the positive update.

Do keep us posted, please.

-Carolyn

Thanks from me too for that article! since I havebeen slightly concerned about Jade's pellet intake (it has decreased)and I was thinking of giving her the nurti-cal BUT she has unlimitedamounts of grass hay and timothy hay at her princess like disposal-sothat quels my fears about the absolute need for pellets, as long as sheis eating some. My question is this though, how long should she only be'snacking' on pellets and 'dining' on hay before I go the nurti-calroute?

Cher and pinicky princessJade

I would first have the fecal float done, and see if that reveals anything.

Pam

Pam,

What's the fecal float? Were you giving that advice to grunter or Cher?

Sorry for my confusion.

-Carolyn

LOL Carolyn, you are far better at following thethreads and recalling histories. I am probably the confusedone. I was recommending a fecal exam to check for parasitessuch as pinworms or cocci in the rabbits that had excessive softdroppings.

Computer has been having issues, so my online time is sometimes limitedand I rush (open mouth first -- think later). If I"disappear" suddendly; fear not, computer probably died ;)

Pam

Since she has already been checked for parasitesand came out clean, I am following the advise in the article and haveGrunter on a hay only diet for the next 1-2 wks. She doesn'tlike it and it is very hard not to give her something else, especiallywhen she comes running when I put my hand in the cage. Itsonly been 2 days and she is now removing all the hay from her dish thatI put in there, I guess she wants me to know there is no food there.Hopefully this will correct her problem and then I can start giving hergreens. I guess this is what you call Tough Love.

Latest posts

Back