soft stools

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunter

Reaction score
what things does anyone recomend for your rabbitif the stools are to soft? Right now she only eats pellets and maybe afew carrots and apples.

Back off hte pellets and give lots of Timothy hay.Also apples give some of mine loose stools if not given in moderationlike a thin slice a day. I use apples as beddy treats

Hey, I read somewhere about how that was normaland that the soft stools are where they are supposed to re-eat them anddigest them because it contains vitamins that the rabbits need. So, asnasty as it is.. I guess that is normal. I forgot the name of the"type" of stools they are..but they are normal.

You're right, Franklinsmom. Welcome to the Board.

They're called cecetropes.

Welcome Grunter,

If all the stools are soft, that's one thing. If you notice a few, thenthat's normal and as Franklinsmom said, it's normal for them to re-eatthem. They look like a tiny group of grapes. They are filled withnutrients that are necessary for the health of your rabbit. They lookquite different from a normal stool.

Soft pudding-like stool could be sign of disruption in the rabbit'sintestinal system. I would continue with alot of Timothy Hay and theold-fashioned Quaker Oats. I'd stop all other treats, including allfruits, until your little one's stool returns to normal.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Thank you all, my kids have had this rabbit for 4years and this is the first time that her stools are all very soft likepeanut butter, and it is starting to stick to her fur and this iscausing a rash on her hind legs. Another question is timothyhay and regular haythat I buy by the bail andusefor bedding the same thing?

Mornin Grunter,

Definitely stop all fruits, vegetables and treats. QuakerOats and Timothy Hay only. I'm hope you'll notice adifference soon thereafter. Be sure she has plenty of waterasyou have to be careful that she'll becomedehydrated. You may have to syringe feed her water if herintake isn't much. If you can get some Nutri Cal it might behelpful in case she stops eating, at which point I'd visit aveterinarian. They have to have food or fibergoingthrough their systems because a bacteria can develop. If shehas gastroenteritis, she'll need antibiotics. For moreinformation about this, checkhttp://rabbit.org/care/gi-stasis.html

I would use a hay rack or something that would keep the Timothy Hay offthe floor because if she soils it, then eats it, she'll get verysick.

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn for your help, I did take her tothe vet yesterday and she is on antibiotics and tomorrow I have tobring her in and he is going to sedate her to clean off her behind, herstools have stuck to her hair so badly he couldn't clean it yesterday.And because of the loose stool, it is gaulding her hind legs. I justdidn't know what to feed her to get her stools back tonormal.

A lot of Timothy Hay right now, and the QuakerOats. That will help her. Just keep an eye on herwater intake.

I'm glad you didn't procrastinate and brought her to thevets. Between the antibiotics, the Timothy Hay, and theQuaker Oats, I'm sure she'll be feeling much better soon.

She's one lucky bunny to have found her way into your home.

Keep us posted, Grunter!

-Carolyn

Good luck to you and your bun, Grunter!

Sherman and I are praying for renewed health for your little one! :)

Grunter you did the best thing you could for yourbun. Just keep pushing the Timothy to her. I have a little guy who hassuch a sensitive digestive track and he does not get any fruit at allanymore. I also keep his but trimmed close since he seems prone itproblems. They are just like people he is so sensitive and Bunty eatseverything and never a problem yet

I just picked her up from the vet, poor thing sheis shaved from her belly back, she was worse off than he thought, shehad a sore that was on her behind and when he got in there , he foundmaggets...........it made me sick.....poor thing, that is probably whyshe was pulling the hair off her hind legs. She is recoveringand the kids are comforting her. She had a roughday. We just have to keep a cream on it and keep anantibiotic in her until she heals. I am so glad I took herwhen I did. We also have to keep her stools more solid, so Iam taking your advise and she is only getting oats and timothy hay forawhile.

Oh, poor, poor, little bunnybaby! She must have really been suffering.

I'm glad to read that she's on the mend now though.

We're here to support you while she's in recovery, Grunter.

Hi Grunter,

Because of you, she's on the road to recovery. She'll feel better soon now.

I'd cut out the daily apples as a habit. Once her stool gets back toshape, it shouldn't be more than a couple of days, I'd stick with agood-quality rabbit pellet and timothy hay. Treats only two or threetimes a week. And of course, fresh water being the most essential partof her diet. That's just my thoughts. Take what you like and leave therest. :)

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

My Emmit never seems to eat them...I find them inhis cage every once and a while. Could he produce more thanone at a time and be saving them for later? I hope he'sgetting all the nutrition he needs. He eats timothy hay,pellets, and if he's lucky, some broccoli or apples.

Hi Emmit's Mom,

I love that face on your avatar. Emmit's so cute.

Are you talking about the cecetrops? They don't always eat them all.Since you're seeing them once in a while, I wouldn't worry. I'm surehe's getting what he needs and it sounds like he's on a good diet.

If you have a wire bottom cage and the rabbit doesn't get out much, youmight want to put a towel or an old cotton placemat in a corner so thatif he needs to have them, they won't fall through.

-Carolyn

How's the little one doing, Grunter?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back