Socializing issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokiBeatrix

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

My wife and I recently adopted a second rabbit named Beatrix. She is a female rabbit, 5 years old. We have another rabbit, also 5 year old, however male. His name is Toki. Beatrix was spayed about 3 or 4 weeks ago and Toki was neutered about a year ago. About 6 or 7 months ago we had to put down Deuy, another male. Toki and Deuy never got along and we had to keep them seperated at all times.

Now we are trying to socialize Toki and Beatrix. We chose a female of about the same age hoping it would be easier to socialize.

Toki has the run of the appartements, mostly. We have a two bedroom apartement. Toki spends most of his day running around the living room and hallway. We placed BEatrix in our second bedroom to give her her own space to start with.

We've been trying to introduce both rabbits in different situations. At first, we brought them to our local park, Toki runs around without a leash and stays close. We had Beatrix on a leash. At first it was great, the sniffed each other ran around. But then Toki started mounting her. We were told that this is Toki trying to get dominance, and this could be good, whereas we could have an amorous relationship. We let him attempt his thing and at first Beatrix just stayed there. Eventually after 2 or 3 times mounting, Beatrix wipped around and nipped Toki. We seperated them and before leaving we tried to create "False memories" by having them cuddle between my wife and I.

We even decided to switch their cages for a few hours. In this case, Toki settled in right away, while Beatrix just wanted out.

Today we tried to have them meet in the hallway, with a gate between them. We quickly realized that Toki was not happy, he kept thumping and turning away, coming back, thumping and turning away.

We then went to the bathtub, being a neutral site. They both seemed to be more preocuppied with keeping their balance then meeting each other. However it seemed generally positive.

Finally we went to our bedroom. Neither bunny has spent much time there. We placed them both on the bed, let them calm down and get comfortable. At first, like at the park, it was going very well. Sniffing each other, then exploring, then going back. THen Toki started mounting again. First time Beatrix did nothing. Second time however, she wipped around and they both started fighting. We quickly seperated them.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do next. I know that socializing two rabbits could be laborous however i'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for your help! :pray:

Sebastien

Did you try taking them for a car ride in the same crate? I've never had 2 rabbits but I've heard from other people that they will be frightened and end up comforting each other and that helps start the bonding.

I'd keep using the tub or some where they can't get really good footing for now. It keeps them a little more preoccupied so that the "other" bunny is more of a secondary consideration.

I've read about that, they call it Forced Bonding. We asked around about it and we were told to absolutely never do that. And I tend to agree. If they start fighting, it could be pretty dangerous.

I would stay persistent in your attempts. It takes a lot of patience, but part of the issue may be that Bea is a new rabbit to the family and has to get to know new people, new smells, rooms and suddenly this strange rabbit mounting her.

It's a lot for a girl to take in.

What I would do, personally, is let her have her own room, but let Toki have access to the doorway of her room via a double stacked baby gate. I'd go with a double stacked gate (one on top of the other) because it's very unlikely they will get jumped that way.

Let her settle for a few months, 2 or 3, and the humans can bond with her. You'll carry Toki's scent on your clothes and skin into her area, and being able to see him will help her adjust to his role in the household.

She may simply be a more dominant rabbit. My Molly mounts Gubble on a daily basis to keep him in check (haha); unless they are drawing blood I would let them tussle after Bea's settled into the household. Sometimes all it takes is once to sort it out.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted!

When I first neutered my 2.5 year old.. I noticed it took about 2 months for his hormones to dissipate

Latest posts

Back