So I took my bunny on a walk -Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajatherabbit

Reaction score
ive had my bunny for two months , he’s 5 months old and today i thought I should take him for a walk.
I have been leash training him around the house and he seemed fine so I thought he was ready.
He started off walking slowly, then we got to a small slope and he started sprinting, really fast.
He sprinted so fast that I dropped the leash and he didn’t stop sprinting.
I ran after him at first when that didn’t work I lured him in with snacks.
When I walked him he started sprinting and again!!!!and I dropped the leash again and chased him again!!!!! I don’t know if this is supposed to happen the first time you walk a rabbit or if he was really scared of me. Can someone tell me what to do???

Your bunny shouldn’t start running when walking in a harness. Maybe start with a pen, let him get used with the sounds outside and walk in the pen/run with harness so he get used with a person following him.

Try to read his signals, I often notice when my bunnies are starting to become scared or nervous and I will pick them up, distract them with treats or cuddle with them. So they don’t get stressed or start running.

Running after a bunny it’s the worst idea to do, they will only become more scared and run away.

Try to teach your bun to come when being called and calmed when being picked up.

When my bunnies escape, I just walk calmly around them and direct them to a safer place and slowly walk up to them or let them come to me.

Never chase them [emoji4]

Back