Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyandKen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Feel a bit like I am hogging the forum (sorry) but am a tad worried.

As you know, Blade had herkits a week ago,and wasgreat, but today she has been sneezing all day, every few minutes, anda bit yesterday too. My last bunny Sapphi (years ago) died fromsnuffles which turned into pneumonia just a few days after sneezinglike this.Baytrilwasgiven dailyby the vet but it had no effect.

Blade's cage is very clean and she's in the dining room which isn't toowarm; I don't know what else it could be. Nothing's changed, and thereis no discharge around eyes or nose. The kits are now extremely fat, soit isn't stopping her feed either. Confused!

Any suggestions? Would be devastated if she got snuffles, especially with kits.

Thanks,

Lindsey

It could be allergies, but I'll let someone else give a better diagnosis.

"Snuffles" is a generic term for rhinitis/coldsymptoms in rabbits which may include congestion, sneezing, mattedpaws, runny eyes, temperature, runny nose (clear, white or colored). Insome cases, the illness may progress into a bacterial infection such aspneumonia. The term snuffles is not specific to any particular pathogenand may or may not be contagious. Insome cases thecondition is chronic and may respond only temporarily to treatment.Certain medications can help to relieve symptoms.

Common pathogens that may cause "cold/snuffles" symptoms in rabbitsinclude Pasteurella (often in conjunction with Bordatella), Staph,Strep, Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Fungus or environmental irritants canalso cause rhinitis. Sometimes changes in the weather can bea factor.

A nasal culturecan be taken. This test is less expensive, but also less accurate than an extensive blood test.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to attempt successful treatment withoutfirst identifying the pathogen so the correct antibiotic can be used ifthe infection is bacterial. At the very list, you'll be ableto rule certain pathogens out.

The mucus can cause irritation around the nasal passages that can leadto a bacterial infection and painful scabbing around the nose.

A little vicks in a vaporizer can help relieve symptoms while the rabbit is undergoing treatment.

Pam

Have you cleaned with anything around her?

Have you burned candles?

Anything that could cause an allergy reaction is where I would startfirst. Bo was allergic to the dust of Alfalfa hay and sneezednon-stop until I figured it out!

We clean the kitchen (attached to the dining room) with anti-bac spray but she's been inside a couple of days with no problems.

We changed her brand of dried food a few days ago but that's the onlything that's changed that I can think of. She's shovelling the fooddown, both dry, veg, hay and anything else that's on offer. She'seating an entire bowl of dry in 30 mins or so then rattling the barstill it's filled again- constantly. I wonder if she's gettingdust in her nose from eating the dried food so quickly?

What a piggy....takes after me! (I just sat and scoffed a tub ofBanoffee Haagen Dazs after saying to Ken 'I'll just tasteit...!' Lethal...)

Yep, I bet she's allergic to the dust.Check the bag to see what it has in it also. Some pelletshave animal by-product in them.....

I generally sift Bo's pellets if I notice dust in them... They make sifter bowls but I can't seem to find the kind I want.

The food isn't pellets - it's separate pieces ofcarrot, dried lettuce, peas etc, mixed with pellets and other hay-typethings. It was recommended by the pet shop (Russell Rabbit; based onalfalfa) probably as it was by far the most expensive, but it does'look' the most appetising! Is this a bad choice of food? She eats itall, and shoves her nose in the bowl as I'm scooping it in so it fallson her head and she can eat faster....she shoves me with her nose if Itry and put it in without her being there! It must be the food then?

Generally, the food that looks like that isn'tvery good for them. Most people recommend Purina or Oxbow. I've usedPurina for many years and it seems to work well. These are juststraight pellets, not mixed with other food.

To tell the truth, she sounds active and healthy otherwise so I'd leantoward suspecting an allergy. I've had marvelous results with cleanmarsh hay as bedding rather than straw.

If she develops nose irritation from discharge, try cleaning with a Q-tip and warm water, then put a touch of vaseline on.

I do have a bun with chronic allergies, and he too is active and eatswell. He'll get these crazy sneezing fits and sneeze nonstop, thenscratch, then sneeze....But his nose has become ragged anddeformed from chronic sinus trouble. He itches it and gets scabs, etc.It's been a 3-yr. battle, and the first success I've seen was justrecently: switched to marsh hay, cleanedthe noseup,and put vaseline on. It's only been a week, but I've seen improvement.He hates the treatment, though! ;)

Rose

LindseyandKen wrote:
The food isn't pellets - it's separate pieces of carrot,dried lettuce, peas etc, mixed with pellets and other hay-type things.It was recommended by the pet shop (Russell Rabbit; based on alfalfa)probably as it was by far the most expensive, but it does 'look' themost appetising! Is this a bad choice of food? She eats it all, andshoves her nose in the bowl as I'm scooping it in so it falls on herhead and she can eat faster....she shoves me with her nose if I try andput it in without her being there! It must be the food then?
Oh, petstores are going to recommend what they want to sell.Rabbits need a good timothy based pellet at 7 mos old.Younger, use alfalfa based. Here's a great link for foods.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

Pellets are really the best for rabbits as theycontain most things rabbits need. I use Science Selective made bySupreme petfoods. Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel is also a really goodchoice. Hope Blade is feeling bettersoon- Jan

Yeah we use Supa Rabbit Excel for both of ourbuns. It's available in all Pets at Home places and you canfind it in local pet shops occasionally. It's 5.89 for a 4 kgbag and it usually lasts us about a month. My vet recommendsit, luckily we've got a rabbit savvy one, and Pets at Home also promoteit... though if they do try to sell you their 'pellet' food, don't buyit coz it's cereal food and not pellets.

We had to use the 'Junior and Dwarf' pellets for Max until she was 4months old as she reacted badly with the adult pellets, so go with whatyou think your rabbit reacts well with. :)

The cereal's tend to have alot of sugar in them and aren't very good for their digestion. :?

Ang xx

Back