Snuffles strikes again!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaboy

Reaction score
Well, Oliver died from snuffles, I think I caught it to late since he was already pretty sick when I saved him from the pet shop.
Sadly, as careful as I was not to spread the sickness to my other bunnies, Lulu has developed a runny eye, it started off as just a normal, tiny crusty in the corner of her eye, but it changed A LOT over night.

She has a appt. at the vet tomorrow at 2:30 for it. I'm just hoping she got something stuck in her eye..... I wouldn't want to lose another bun to snuffles :(

I had to seperate her and Pandaboy so he wouldn't get sick too, I think it just stressed them both out more, poor kiddies....

Here are some pictures of her bad eye.

2dgjbxe.jpg

I cleaned the tears off and crusties, and discharge very gently with a warm washcloth right after I took these...

Here is her good eye

2ez1wfp.jpg

Did your vet tell you that Oliver had "snuffles"? Because that is kind of a misnomer, really. Snuffles tends to be a general term used to cover all kinds of respiratory problems, it really doesn't mean anything. I know you said he was already sick when you got him, so for all I know you never even had the chance to take him to the vet. Did Oliver have the same syptoms as Lulu? Does Lulu have a wet nose, or is it just the eye?

No he told me it was Pasteurella and that it can be referred to as "Snuffles".
Isn't runny eyes a symptom of Pasteurella?

No, Oliver had a runny nose, and Oliver did go to the vet, but died the next morning after he went.

She looks just like my bun, Willow

I think a lot of vets call any kind of upper respiratory or eye , nasal discharge "snuffles" or pasturella. It really could be a variety of any type of bacteria if cultured. Your vet most likely will do a culture and prescribe an antibiotic.

If caught early enough she should do OK.
Please keep us up-dated on her.

Hi,

Only have a second here....but there is no such thing as snuffles. That is a "catch all" term that came from a time that not much was known about rabbits in the vet community. It is a pet peeve of mine when vets use such antiquated and incorrect terminology as many people will"google" what they say and will most likely get inaccurate information.

All warm blooded mammals (including humans)and some birds carring pasteurella subclinically. In an ideal situation, the immune system of any species can easily keep this bacteria in check as it is an opportunistic bacteria. It can never be completely eradicated so like so many other things, once you get in under control...concentrate on making things as easy as possible for the immune system. Most pasteurella strains are mutating and the commonly and traditionally used drugs (primarily Enrofloxacin and Sulfanomides) are becoming quite ineffective as the bacteria build resistance. Most of the top exotic vets have stopped using these drugs in rabbits. Some of the more effective drugs are Zithromax, Penicillin or Chloramphenicol. A new drug has just been allowed into the US that shows great promise for use in rabbits. That drug is called Convenia and is a one time injection. A word of warning...do not attempt to treat using these drugs unless under the direct advice of your vet. Improper use of these drugs will result in a fatal event. I just mention them to provide you a topic of conversation with your vet.

If you and your vet understand pasteurella, it can be controlled. While it isa concern, treated aggressively and properly....it is not the monster it once was thought to be.

Randy

I actually trust my vet very well now, at first I was a bit nervous that he wasn't rabbit savvy....
Its me thats calling the infection snuffles, not my vet, he just mentioned that it was sometimes referred to as that.
He explained to me how it was caused by a bacteria and pretty much everything I read on the rabbit forum about upper respitory infections.
He's younger and seems to know what he's doing and answered all of my 20 questions and then some. I think that the newer vets are probably being better educated about exotic animals, is my guess.
He even gave me a whole bottle of topical antibiotic for Olivers wound on his leg just to make sure everything way alright, for free.

lol, I can only imagine Lulu at the vets, she HATES being picked up. I can already hear her growling and fussing at him.

Alright!
Update!
Lulu went to the vet today, and was surprisingly cooperative!
He said that a small part of his eye was damaged, and that her eye was probably poked?
I think Pandaboy got mad and might've got her eye :grumpy: poor Lulu.
So he gave me an antibiotic so it doesn't get infected, that I have to put into the lid of her eye twice a day.
He said just to watch out for any other signs- sneezing, discharge from nose...etc. And if anything goes wrong, just call him.
He cut her nails for free too!
:)

Yes, I think he is
I trust him with any of my rabbit problems-
I learned today that he specializes in reptiles and exotics

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

Only have a second here....but there is no such thing as snuffles. That is a "catch all" term that came from a time that not much was known about rabbits in the vet community. It is a pet peeve of mine when vets use such antiquated and incorrect terminology as many people will"google" what they say and will most likely get inaccurate information.

Randy

This terminology is still widely used in 4-H and most rabbit publications (4-H books, Rabbit Production, ARBA official guidebook, etc). Snuffles simply refers to a purulent nasal discharge. It does not indicate the cause. We need a general term to refer to "cold symptoms" when inspecting rabbits and doing showmanship. In most of the rabbit world, the term "snuffles" is still very widely used and accepted. "Snotty nose" could also be used, but people seem to be rather stuck on "snuffles".;)

Pam

Latest posts

Back