Small up-eared bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbat

Reaction score
I'm still wondering what breeds mixed together make small up-ear bunnies (with longer ears than nethies). We usually find these in pet shops here, they're listed as dwarf.

Pet shops just class all rabbits as dwarfs because it makes people think they will stay small, also most rabbits you will find in a pet shop are crosses so there could be anything in them. What they call dwarf might not even have any dwarf in it.

If you're referring to your new bunnies, they look remarkably similar to my Nigel & Cordie's babies... ;)

DSC_1200.jpg

And they are nethie/lop crosses. So I'd say that may be a possibility.

Many crosses can do that, and even pure bred bunnies don't always look show quality so may not match particular standards or be as perfect as show standards say they should be. 13 of my buns are nethies but you wouldn't know it to look at them, lol.

Most of the petshop bunnies (at least in my area) are probably purebred. However, the reason that the ears are longer is because they don't carry the dwarfing gene.

Sharon

paul2641 wrote:
Pet shops just class all rabbits as dwarfs because it makes people think they will stay small, also most rabbits you will find in a pet shop are crosses so there could be anything in them. What they call dwarf might not even have any dwarf in it.

My first bunny was labeled as a dwarf- think she is actually a flemmie mix.

Lack of dwarf gene (but still purebred), also a lot of what the 4H kids show as Polish here have long ears and faces, almost like mini Havanas (as they're almost always black, too). I've also seen some dwarf mixes that I swear have Brittania Petite in them due to their slender faces and thin, somewhat arched body. Also, people that don't breed for show often don't pay attention to characteristics like ears and over time they tend to end up with longer eared dwarf rabbits.

werecatrising wrote:
paul2641 wrote:

My first bunny was labeled as a dwarf- think she is actually a flemmie mix.
I think that's terrible! People expecting small bunnies might not have the room for a huge rabbit, if they were irresponsible they might get abandoned. Glad she has found a good home though.
Thanks for your answers everyone :) I guess pet shop rabbits could be anything!
Delusional, that bunny does look extremely alike to mine (very cute lol). I think the ears are a bit different though. My rabbit's mum and dad had lop/airplane ears so I'm not sure if mine will lop or not. Do nethie/mini lop usually look like that? Do their ears lop?

:? You just can't trust pet shops. But Elf is a very handsome? bunny (from you avatar not his backside ;))

My "dwarf" rabbit turned out to be four pounds! He actually is a full-blown Netherland Dwarf, he's just big. He is called a "Vienna marked" Nethie because of his markings. His ears are slightly longer than they should be, and his bone structure is bigger than that of a "normal" Nethie. He's just my little "freak". ;)

Latest posts

Back