Small and big poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliana BV

Reaction score
Hello, my bunny hyunnie has been pooping really small poops as well as big ones, I’m kinda concerned if this is something I should worry about? She seems perfectly fine, she eats well and is very active, her poop is the only thing I’m worried about and she’s starting to molt so maybe could it be that she’s swallowed hair?
I don’t really know so I’d appreciate any type of help :) thank you!

The small poop is for eating. I am not joking. Rabbits need to re-digest their poop at times. Poops that need to be re-digested are smaller and sometimes a bit darker then the regular poop. In fact, a rabbits first solid meal is their mother's poop, which transfers vital nutrients and sets up their immune systems. Rabbits are adorable

The small poop is for eating. I am not joking. Rabbits need to re-digest their poop at times. Poops that need to be re-digested are smaller and sometimes a bit darker then the regular poop. In fact, a rabbits first solid meal is their mother's poop, which transfers vital nutrients and sets up their immune systems. Rabbits are adorable
oh yes, i know about the cecotropes but this isn't the case, i'm sure it's very small poop because it is hard and she doesn't eat it haha

Hello! My bun does small poops too, but way more big healthy paler poops full of hay, which is always a good sign. If the smaller ones become more frequent than the big ones that may be more of a concern. In the mean time, you could try cutting out any treats, especially fruit if you do give, and maybe even reduce pellets, and make sure hay is changed a couple of times a day so it is always the most tempting to eat. Someone else here may have more info than me though. I wouldn't worry too much but keep an eye on it. Cheers.

That linked worked for me and was so informative! Cheers.

Great, so glad to be of help! Molt or over grooming issues will show as the linkage droppings pictured, add more fiber to their diet, a little bit of Apple cider vinegar (organic and must say something to the effect of "with the Mother" on the label; this is the good bacteria found in ACV that is a probiotic) to their water for a couple of weeks to increase hydration and restabilize gut flora, and push hay; as well as, feed either papaya fresh or dried without added sugar or papaya tablets to ensure you dont have wool block issues. Enzymes in papaya sort of work as an anti-hairball effect. Plus it's full of vitamins and minerals that are good for them!

Last edited:
Is she a new rabbit to you, or have you had her a while and this is a sudden development? Is the poop stuck together with fur? Is this a continuous occurrence of producing both large and small poop, or is it just the occasional poop you are finding like this? Are they round or misshapen at all? Has she had any changes to her diet? Has she recently had any digestive illness? Is she a mostly white rabbit with some spots of color?

A picture of the poop would be helpful if you are able to post one.

Latest posts

Back