Shy bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi

Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this forum a few days ago sothat I could get some help making sure i do the right thing for mybunny Halfpint. I adopted him from a women who could not look after himanymore as she was moving away, and since I got him he has been veryshy and does not like me going near him. If i just sit there he willcome sniff me but will then runn away and hide again. he is a year oldnow, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions 4 me so that i canbond more with him. i understand not all bunnies want to be held butwould like at least to be able to stroke him without him having a fit.thanks all

Hey, welcome to the forum. :) :hello:wave:

You're on the righttrack, it just takes time and patience --and a bit of apple or banana. (Just a bit tho!)

All ofmy shy ones came around, but it took agoodsix months of not picking them up andjustspending a lot of time sitting and lying with them and giving them tinybits offruit. They're all pretty much lap bunniesnow. (And they were over a year old when they came here).One still doesn't like hands much, but she lets us pet her abit -- and she loves backs, shoulders, lets and faces! Shenuzzles and crawls all over us!)

:goodluck Let us know how it's going!

sas

PS: The Bunny 101 Index at the top of this forum has a whole section onShy Bunnies as well as lots of other info, check it out!

Here's the Shy Bunny link...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12060&forum_id=17

I think you have the right idea. My adult buns (not the babywho loved everybody;)) took anywhere from a few weeks to a few monthsto settle in. They learned how to trust me because I onlypicked them up when necessary, I let them come to me (and hop on me) asthey pleased, and I allowed them to hop in and out of their cages atwill during playtime which they apparently hadn't had before.

I've found that I'm irresistable to bunnies if I'm sitting or lying onthe floor, reading a book or newspaper. Bunny magnet!

I managed to get Halfpint sat on my lapyesterday without having to pick him up...i tempted him with a stick ofcelery then he quite happily sat there munching on it...wen he realisedI'd tricked him he jumped off but lay next to me while he finished ofthe celery :Dwe are getting on much better now...he is stillreally scared and runs away if he thinks im trying to strokehimor pick him up but if im just sat working on my computerhe will come lie on the floor next to me...he has also been runningschizo round my room jumping up on top of boxes i set out for him...heseems so much happier :)

thanks for all the help

---Kiwi and Halfpint

Latest posts

Back