should I take my rabbit to the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi-fructose

Pumpkin and Peaches' mom
Reaction score
Ok, so my baby pumpkin refused his leafy greens and treats a few days ago for the first time in his life. He eventually ate his greens after like 2 hours, but usually he is all over them. Overnight he ate his hay and pooped, an the next morning I brought him to the vet they could not find anything wrong with him, but prescribed some pain meds and motility meds. Since then, he is still eating hay and pooping just fine, but is still turning his head at treats and it takes him a while to eat his greens. I think he is drinking fine but I don't think he's eaten his pellets. He also runs away from me when I try to pick him up, but other than that is acting just fine, running and jumping around the house just like usual. The vet said that she thinks it is gas and could pass on its own. The next step is to get x-rays and bloodwork taken, but this will be at least $300 before any treatments and I'm a poor college student. I can pay this if I need to, but I think I should wait a few days to see if he gets better? I would appreciate all advice, thank you so much

It sounds to me like there is something still going on with your bun. Did the vet check his teeth? Dental problems can cause a rabbit to not want to eat certain foods that are more painful for them to chew. If it was a simple digestive slowdown causing his lack of appetite, the meds should have helped and you should have noticed some improvement(unless there is a food he is still eating that is causing the upset). Along with dental issues, there are other health problems, including more serious digestive issues like an impacted cecum, that can be causing the continued lack of appetite, and really the only way to find out if there is something else going on, is by having further diagnostics done. If the vet didn't check the teeth, that would be a good one to start with, and it can usually be done with your rabbit conscious, though sometimes a GA needs to be done to get a better look.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

Yes, she did an entire physical exam and checked his teeth…

Latest posts

Back