Should I neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefofsages

Reaction score
I am wondering if I should have my rabbit neutered. He is about a little over a year old. I was only supposed to be watching him for a while as my sister was getting her new house, but somehow two weeks turned into a few months, and then he stayed with me permanently.

He is a single rabbit- I don't have any others living with him, meaning reproduction is not an issue. However, he is still very hyper and skiddish. He does not like being held and I can barely get him to come to me. He loves having his head and neck rubbed, but when you stop for more than a second he jumps and takes off running.

Didn't know if neutering him might calm him down. I don't want to subject him to surgery or waste the money if it will have no beneficial effect, but if it will help, I'd rather spend the time and money to have it done. He's at the point where it's more of a maintenance thing than a pet. He's not social at all with people, and though he loves my cats, they're not a huge fan.

I'm kind of reaching a point where I'm considering giving him away. Not because I feel he owes me love or anything, but because it doesn't really seem like much of a life for him. He spends a fair amount of time in his cage (a modified dog cage with two floors), and even when he is let out, he's confined to my office. I try to give him love, but he either wants very little or none at all. He's always bolting at the slightest shift in movement.

I don't know what to do. :(

I think it's unlikely that neutering will help. It may, but it's not the sort of behaviour that people usual neuter for. Hormonal things like circling, spraying, grunting, sometimes aggression are the usual culprits for that sort of thing. The only way for him to improve, is for you to spend lots of one on one time with him, down at his level. Gaining a rabbit's trust is a very special thing and is very different to cats and dogs, since rabbits are prey animals, anything is a threat. It can take time, but in my opinion is well worth it.

If you feel you don't have the time to commit to him, then perhaps rehoming might be the best option, but that's really for you to decide.

Keep in mind that since rabbits are prey animals most of them do not like being picked up. In their minds you are about to eat them. I have a flemmie who is very laid back, not spooked by much at all. Is fine with our big dog, kids you and old, comes running whenever anyone goes into the room and loves pets but he does not like being picked up.

You can work with them so they learn to tolerate it though.

I have two intact females I took in as the owner was going to let them loose otherwise. I thought I would be able to find a home for them but that is easier said than done. They sound a lot like your bun, always on the go and not too crazy about pets and I have had them for a year or so. In there case I think spaying might help calm them as they do show signs of being hormonal.

You may want to give it a try if your bun shows signs of being hormonal. If not then it just may be his personality although spending time bonding with him should help.

Latest posts

Back