Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinsmom

Reaction score
My mini Satin mix, Lucky, is constantly shedding. Just hold him for a few minutes and you'll be full of hair. This happens at any time of the year. I brush him but it doesn't seem to do any good. The hair just keeps coming out. What can I do to improve the situation? Thanks.

What's his diet like?

Pellets and Timothy Hay right now with assorted snacks--sesame crackers, bread and some fruit.

What type of pellets? A pellet too high in protein can be a big factor in shedding. one of my bucks never stopped shedding on a 16% alfalfa pellet but has stopped almost completely on a 14% protein timothy pellet.

Oh and sesame crackers and bread are horrible treats! I've fed bread once in a whileas a special treat but when I say that I mean twice a year at most.

What woud be a better treat then?

I am not sure how much protein is in the pellets.

One thing I forgot to mention. Recently, he did have a diet change. I used to feed him Sweet Meadow Hay from Sweet Meadow Farm (Sherborn, MA). However, our local supplier went out of business and I had to go to Petco last time. The only they had there was Timothy (besides Alfalfa). He doesn't seem to care for the Timothy nearly as much. I was wondering if a diet change could make him shed like crazy?

I am going to be near a place this weekend that carries Sweet Meadow products and I am going to try to remember to 'stock up'.

Yesterday I got Lucky the Sweet Meadow Hay again. Since I also cleaned his cage, it'll be a good way to see if that helps the shedding problem.

What brand of pellets are you feeding? You can usually find the nutrition info online. The constant shedding is more of a long-term diet thing, not from a recent decrease in hay eating. Although if you're having trouble finding good hay locally (good farmer hay is awesome!), look into ordering in bulk online. It's much cheaper per pound than those little bags and usually less dusty too. I used to order 20 lb and 50 lb boxes from Oxbow. They have several yummy varieties other than timothy or alfalfa.

Here's a good article on treat foods:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/treat.html

Fruit makes a good treat in moderation. Here's a safe list:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/fruits.html

Rolled oats (Old Fashioned Quaker Oats) are another good treat. Just remember, only in small amounts and not too often.

Latest posts

Back