Shedding everywhere!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
So seemingly out of nowhere Mr.C has begun to shed everywhere! Just one pass of my hand over his back and I have a hairy palm lol this is our first experience with a shedding bun so what do I need to know? Or do differently? Anything I should be adding to his diet during this time? What's the best way to "groom" him? He hates being held and is scared of brushes... I don't want to freak him out to badly... My hubby suggested rubbing him down with a damp cloth? Is that ok?

Ohhh and one more thing... How long does this last? It's been along time since we've had a shedding animal (our dogs are mixes but mostly poodle and don't shed) my allergies are killing me with all this hair!

:D

You could also wet your hand and pet him. Harvey is also shedding (again) and his last a couple of weeks, if not more. I don't know if this'll work with Cookie but with Harvey I distract him with food (oats) and brush and/or pluck out the loose hair. Otherwise he doesn't like me messing with him while he is shedding. He gets a little grumpy.

I think you could feed him papaya or fresh pineapple to help pass hair.

This is when the weather starts to warm up so naturally to cool down animals will loose some of their fur. I would expect that this would last mostly throughout the summer making sure your bunny is cool will help.

Grooming at this point is helpful to them to get the loose hairs out you can brush them it will make them cooler

good luck:)

Have fun with that. The Tipster seems to be on the tail end (har har) of her first shed...it lasted about two months, solid. Invest in a lint roller...or three.

Wow! Thanks guys... We will just be cleaning alot more often, cookie will LOVE that lol our last shedding animal was a 70 lbs rough collie, so at least he's only 5lbs LOL I wish I could just vacuum him off LOL I would never but boy that would make things easier LOL

Oh shedding is so much fun. NOT!

If Mr. Cookie doesn't like brushes, a wet towel or wet hand can help get that hair. Or a grooming glove.

Also I give my boys papaya too. It does help pass the hair.

But your best bet is to groom as much as possible.

It usually takes a bit for indoor rabbits to shed. Mine shed heavy for about two weeks and then kind of taper off. Takes a good two months to really get rid of all the winter hair.

K:)

Thanks for tips! We will be getting him some fresh pinnapple and papaya today... Also, can shedding make them grumpy? Or overly nervous? Cookie was freaking out last night! It wS crazy! I cleaned the floor, which I did the exact same way I do everyday! And went to get ready for bed, came back down 30 minutes later and he was sitting by his litter box and as soon as I made eye contact with him he started thumping over and over! He wouldn't come to me, let me touch him... He wouldn't take an apple from me either, but I tossed it and he ate it and then resumed the thumping! It lasted for hours! Sitting there wide eyed and thumping... I got so upset but eventually just went to bed and this morning he is acting,eating...etc perfectly fine! All I can figure is maybe it was his shedding making him grumpy?

Definitely during major shedding I found a bunny grouchy. All mine went through a spell during shedding where they acted just like Mr. Cookie. I'd feel grumpy too if I was shedding and my skin felt really itchy all over. As you can see, those grouchy moments do pass.

When Honey's really shedding, I pull it out in clumps. For the lesser stuff, I finally found the right thing about 10 days ago. It's a velvet mitt with a thumb hole & Honey actually likes being petted with it. Also the indoor-outdoor carpeting I got for under her xpen here at the lake does a good job of picking up her fluff at the places she lies down. So she's not running into her hide box every time she sees me like she did during her previous shed.

Q won't tolerate the brush (she grunts and tries to eat it), but I've found that if I run the lint roller over my shirt a time or two so it's not really sticky, she loves to be lint rolled. Hey...I'll take what I can get! And yes, we had a little grump over here too during the shedding. Usually it was a "mom, seriously, you're gonna brush me AGAIN???"

I'm def going to try the lint roller idea! See it I can get him to tolerate it! Seriously there are little black clumps of fine cling hairs EVERYWHERE! I've vaccumed twice today, and it's only 1pm LOL

Ooooh Harvey was a major grump this time around. He seems to be in a better mood today.

He does seem to shed often. The first shed I experienced was in Nov, then again in Jan, and yet again now that we are getting up into the 80s (almost 90s) after cold thunder storm :rollseyes So if I am hot I can imagine poor Harvey is.

Wow that is alot of shedding Emily! We have had cookie since mid-January and he hasn't shed at all til now... But I have a feeling it's going to last a while because of all this crazy weather we are having... 90's one day and 50's and raining the next...

Btw he had some of his first taste of pineapple and he loves it :)

I'm also thinking of getting him some towels or something, maybe if he rubs all over them they will catch some of the hairs that is floating around LOL

BunMommaD wrote:
Wow that is alot of shedding Emily! We have had cookie since mid-January and he hasn't shed at all til now... But I have a feeling it's going to last a while because of all this crazy weather we are having... 90's one day and 50's and raining the next...

Btw he had some of his first taste of pineapple and he loves it :)

I'm also thinking of getting him some towels or something, maybe if he rubs all over them they will catch some of the hairs that is floating around LOL
Towel will definitely help. I'm able to shake them out and wash them. Does keep the hair from floating all over. I see that now that Dobby is on cardboard. I should definitely think of getting hay mats again. Kreacher's "wubbie" works well with his hair. It doesn't come out in clumps like Dobby, but a few hairs at a time. So glad he likes his "wubbie".

Hahaha it sure is Liz. We are also having crazy weather right now. It's the mid 80s right now and we are supposed to have rain and thunder by weds.

Ooooh yes I also second the towel idea. Harvey has one and it attracts hair like no ones business hahah. So does my carpet. He leaves behind bunny butt prints. I should try pine apple too. I just don't want to buy a whole one cause most of it won't be eaten.

What are these grass mats? I hear everyone talk about? When I hear it I imagine like grass carpet? If so, I might need to get Cookie some! Ad I'm going to try the towels... He did well with them just after his surgery, but then he started ripping them up... But that could have been because he was so frustrated to get out of his pen... Maybe now he'll be less destructive.

MagPie wrote:
Hahaha it sure is Liz. We are also having crazy weather right now. It's the mid 80s right now and we are supposed to have rain and thunder by weds.

Ooooh yes I also second the towel idea. Harvey has one and it attracts hair like no ones business hahah. So does my carpet. He leaves behind bunny butt prints. I should try pine apple too. I just don't want to buy a whole one cause most of it won't be eaten.

Yes we've had cold rainy weather now for about 3days... Today being the coldest.
And yes I picked up cookies cardboard cottage today to vacuum under it and there was a perfect outline of his body in fur! And I had JUST cleaned there yesterday!!! LOL
And luckily my husband is a pineapple fanatic lol so none will go uneaten here ;) I only like pineapple if it is accompanying some ham on pizza LOL

BunMommaD wrote:
What are these grass mats? I hear everyone talk about? When I hear it I imagine like grass carpet? If so, I might need to get Cookie some! Ad I'm going to try the towels... He did well with them just after his surgery, but then he started ripping them up... But that could have been because he was so frustrated to get out of his pen... Maybe now he'll be less destructive.
Hay mats are great. I got them for my boys and intended on getting more, but things happen.

Cookie will love them. It's like a grass carpet. Willard and Dobby will lay on them and you can take them out and shake out the hair (well the parts that are left lol).

Wishing you luck with Cookie and trying a towel again. Couldn't get Dobby to break the habit of ripping them up. But Kreacher loves his.

Well I am one proud and happy momma!!!! :D :D :D

I dug out our big lint roller and thought I would give it a try... I got a few mint leaves as a distraction and went over to cookie in his one to see if he would even let me near him, with this thing he has never seen before! If I come with the clippers or a brush he runs and thumps! But I kid.you.not. He coward a little the first time I ran it over his body but after that he got SO excited and started circling the roller and rubbing on it himself!!!! I kept running it over him and he would run and twitch and do a binky and then come back for more! It was awesome! I went through 6 sheets of the roller full of fur before I stooped so as not to overwhelm him but he would have prob let me do it all night! And every time a big clump would come out he would turn tword the roller and lick it! Poor guy is prob so itchy and so glad to have it gone! I let him out of his pen after the grooming and man oh man is he racing around like a bun that just won the lottery! HA! We will def be doing this many times a day! Awsome awesome idea! :D

Latest posts

Back