She wont transition to new pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan55

Reaction score
I adopted Ivy full grown from her previousowners, who fed her Kaytee Exact ("extruded" rainbow coloredfood shaped like little cookies- not pelets). Asidefrom being silly expensive,Exact islowerin fiber and higher in fat than I wouldlike,so I picked up some TimothyCompletewhich came as recommended from some people here.

I slowly introduced the TimothyComplete over a few weeks timemixing it with the Exact, and it seemed to be going wellenough. I could tell she liked the Exact better but she stillate most of the Complete. But then after a week orsoshe learned how to pick the Exact out of the bowl and leavethe Complete pellets. Now she wont eat any of the Complete atall. To make matters worse, shedoesnt eat much (if any) hay either despite an unlimited supply.
A couple days ago I stopped using any Exact at all and only put inComplete pellets to see if that would force her to start eating it ifshe had no alternative. (last ditch effort I admit) She hasnteaten any at all. I supplemented with carrots and some greensto make sure she wouldnt starve. This morning she was visiblyvery hungry so I gave her some of the Exact in a different bowl so shewouldnt starve or get sick. I really dont want her GI tractto slow down especially in shedding season.

Any advice? Is it a lost cause and should I just goback to Exact for good now? Did I make any mistakes with thetransition process?

It sounds like you did everythingright. Could you try Oxbow instead? Maybe she'dlike a different brand better. Some rabbits are just picky.

The only other thing I could think of to do is to get her used toeating a lot of veggies. Check out my Q&A on feedingrabbits, especially the no-pellet diet. Make sureyou're capable of providing enough veggies, and enough different ones,so she doesn't get a vitamin deficiency. Then wean her offthe pellets. After a week or two without pellets, slowly addthe new pellets in.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=1

I've done this once- on a vet's recommendation. When Iadopted Fey and Sprite they were eating Small World pellets and it wasgiving them major nasty poop problems.:yuck Adding hay andslowly transitioning to new pellets wasn't doing anything and my vetsaid they needed a bigger diet change. So he had me cut outall pellets and start feeding veggies, continue for two weeks, thenslowly start adding pellets. It worked.

Edit: Although I do have to add that they liked Oxbow more than their cruddy old stuff.:)

Hi Evan,

The main difference between the Exact and the Complete is that the Exact is alfalfa based.

Kaytee Exact Rainbow Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)............14.0%
Crude Fat (min.)....................3.0%
Crude Fiber (min.)................16.0%
Crude Fiber (max.)...............20.0%

You might consider the Kaytee Supreme, however the protein is higher and the fiber is lower.
Kaytee Supreme Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min)..........16.0%
Crude Fat (min).................2.0%
Crude Fiber (min).............15.0%
Crude Fiber (max)............18.0%

All 8 of my buns get a mix of timothy (Kaytee TimothyComplete)and alfalfa (Purina) pellets. All 8 of the buns pickout the alfalfa pellets first, but by the next morning all of thepellets are gone.
The first day I mixed the pellets, Brindle nonchalantly put her paw onthe edge of the bowl....looked me straight in the face....and flippedthe bowl over.

I am in theprocess of switching fromOxbow to Sunseed. Imix half and half, andif Pebbles does pickand eat her favoritefirst, the bowl isempty by the morning.

I find if I givePebbles a papaya tablet withher meal, it stimulatesher appetite. If youworry she is not eating, Ialways keep NutriCal near by.

Rainbows! :)

Where are your from Evan? I use SunSeed also, and my rabbits love it more than any other and the fiber isI think, 20%. It's not as pricey as the otherseither. Maybe see if you could find some. :D

Thanks for the inputeveryone. I will try other brands of pelletsfirst, I just ordered some Oxbow BB/T and also some SunseedTimothy formula. Both have good fat, protein and fibernumbers. (although does the Sunseed have fruit and nuts init? I just noticed in the product description it says"Dehydrated Carrot and Banana are added to increase the variety in thisdaily diet. " i didnt see that until after ordering)

If that fails then switching off of pellets for a couple weeks until she forgets what pellets she likes is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back