Sex of a Baby Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looks like I will be adopting another baby bunny in the next few weeks.

My friend's sister in law found a pregnant bunny on the street and she took her in, and 2 weeks later out popped 5 new babies!

I asked if I could adopt one and as I have a male bunny, I would like to adopt a little girl.

They are still young babies so I was wondering at what age can you first tell if they are a boy or girl?

My breeder, with the help of others she knows, knew the sexes of her buns by 4 weeks old. Sometimes it's easy to see, but other times it's not. Some people are so good at it they can figure the kit out even younger.

Do you know any breeders that you can take these kits to to try to figure out if they are boys or girls? Or maybe a Rabbit Savvy Vet can help you?

If it was me, I'd wait to the kits were 4 weeks old or older to see if I could figure it out. And then ask someone who really knows. lol.

Congratulations BTW on your new addition! Hoping all is well with Mom and babies.

K:)

Generally, the older they are, the easier they are to sex. Since babies should be with their mums til at least about 10-12 weeks of age, I would do it around that time. It's still quite tricky really so if at all possible, you'll want someone with experience with babiessexing them. I was wrong about my own baby for several months :embarrassed:In my defense, she made it really hard to get a good look! Lol

I was able to tell with Molly's litter by the first week that 2 were the same and one was different - which was which I had no idea. 4 weeks was much better. There are some great websites about checking :)

Congrats! Are you hopeful for any particular colors? What kind of rabbit is the momma? Pictures!! :D

A breeder I knew from when I used to show my bunnies said she can tell within the first week usually.

Yeah sorry, I meant that someone with less experience might be comfier waiting longer. A breeder should definitely be able to tell early :)

Thanks guys! I am not sure when I can go visit and Im not sure how old the babies are either so I will ask if I can take one to the vet.

I have no idea what colour they are but the mum is white and the dad is a nice grey colour.She isnt a breeder it was an 'accidental' litter. so they also arent pure bred or whatever. I cant wait to see them and bring one home when they are old enough.

Also I have heard varying opinions on how old they can be before they are separated from their mum, anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks, what do you guys think?

From what I have heard babies are normally separated around 7 weeks and given 1 week to transition to being away from mom before they are given to the new owner.

It depends on the bunny. Some bunnies are ready to separate from Mom at 5 weeks. Others need more of Mom's milk (if she's will) till 8-9 weeks. Some catch on to the solid food and water faster than others. Some need a little more time to get the hang of eating and drinking so it could be 12 weeks when they are ready.

There are guidelines out there, but it's really up to the individual bunny on when he or she is ready.

K:)

When I visit them this weekend I will see how they are going and I will just get the lady to keep me updated and I will bring one home when they are ready to :)

I am so excited I got a photo on Sunday and they are adorable! I will try to post it tomorrow :)

Here is the only pic i have of the bunnies that isn't on my phone:

14147_030656_270000000.jpg

They are 5 weeks old now, I will go back to Melanie's house to visit next week to see if I can spot a girl .If not it's pot luck so hopefully if the one i take is a boy he gets along with rocky :S

It's funny because the mum is an albino mini lop and the dad is a very pale grey mini lop, all of the babies turned out this colour lol

I am so excited I want to bring one home now. Do you think if I get a boy by accident there will be problems?

Wait, if your sister in law found the momma on the street and she had babies 2 weeks later, how do you know what color the dad is??

Samara wrote:
Wait, if your sister in law found the momma on the street and she had babies 2 weeks later, how do you know what color the dad is??
I was thinking the same thing and I thought they were mixed breeds now their mini lops? :?

She found the mum and the dad together. apparently. this is just what I was told so the details might be a little off. I guess who really knows I didn't really ask her to get into details about it.

They just look like mini lops to me but I guess they could be anything. I don't really see what this has to do with me adopting one and what sex they are though. My main point is just if I make a mistake and bring home a boy will it be hard to bond him with Rocky who is a boy? That's what I am worried about at the moment.

Latest posts

Back