Self Feeders vs. Crock Bowls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boricua_bunny

Reaction score
I would like to know if you guys prefer usingself feeders for your rabbits or heavy crock bowls better? I am reallyinterested because I am starting to limit my rabbit's feed, and I don'tknow if I should keep using the self feeder he used while he was onfree feed.

~Josh

I use a ceramic bowl. This way my bunny can not pick it up and throw it and I can limit the feed.

Ceramic bowl, most definitely! That way, if hehas a large cage, you can move it out of the way and rearrange to hisliking AAAND usually they even look better.

And, they can't throw it around, as mentioned above.

Great big ceramicdish. They're fed in portions, so as not to put on too much weight, andthe dish serves that purpose better. Not to mention, it's easier forthem to eat from the same bowl vs. sharing a free-feeder.

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

i like both, and use both

i like the feeders for the reason of themsifting the dust out of the food, but for the buns who liketo rip those off the cage LOL i use crocks which they seem todo good with

I still use the self feeders as opposedto hte croocks. Even with Koda & Norman being fed measuredamounts. A crock with two bunns working to flip it doesn't stand achance lol.A self feederalso takes up less insidecage space. It's just what I prefer.

Tina

I use both, but I prefer the crocks. I have onlyone bunny per cage, unless it's a mom and kits, so they usually can'tteam up to spill them. I don't cut holes in the cages for self feeders,either, I put them inside the cage because I wan to be able to move thefeeders around and because I don't like cutting holes in my cages. Ihave to limit how much feed I give my flemish, anyway, 'cause they arestarting to get to fat!

I use heavy ceramic crocks. All mybuns have measured pellets, and I put their veggies in their bowlstoo. I get bowls that are too heavy for them to move.

I use J ( self Feeders) and smaller crocks for fresh feeds ,

The reason I use J feeders isyou neverknow when Somebun is going to decideto jump in the crock to eat ,and well we all know eating and pooping go together , Ratherthan risk a good case of something nasty I use theJ feeders so they cant get their butts inthe dishes.

I am really having a hard time understanding FAT rabbits?

All My rabbits from the smalles Netherlandto the largest Flemish are all on free Feed, EveryBun is in propercondition and is proper weight , None of my rabbitsare fat .

None of my rabbits are housed together , they allhave seperate cages , All get sufficient excercise,Can I ask How is it You getFat rabbits?

I used a ceramic bowl. That way I can keep track of how much food they consume.

I use a ceramic bowl but here in the Uk I haven't seen the feedres widely available.

Perhaps you should have launched this thread as a poll and then youwould end up with a graphic indicating the preference of the majority.

I have one that I adopted that wasover-weight...but it hasn't taken much of cutting back on pellets andmaking sure he gets lots of playtime to get him slimming down...I thinkit was a case of WAY to many treats given to him...other than that..theones I've had since they were young, not had a big issue...onlyCorky...but with all he went thru...he went from being way to skinny topackin on a bit much...again, no prob getting it back off him.. ;)

I actually use bowls that attach to the side of the cage (on theinside) that have the mesh so the dust is filtered out...I don't carefor the ceramic asI don't want them inhaling all that dust.

We have different size ceramic bowlsfor water, pellets, hay, andvegetables. We cut our hay with scissorsso it fits in the bowl. All these bowlsare from the dollar store.

Like TinysMom, we wash Pebbles dishes daily.

Rainbows! :D

I have problem andI don'tknow how to explain it. I am using a self feeder and has worked greatwhen my rabbit was on free feed. Now that I am only giving him 1/2 cupa day, it is harder for him to fit his head inside the feeder to getthe pellets all the way at the bottom. Is there any way that I can fixthis? Or should I switch over to a crock bowl?

~Josh

We use metal electrical boxes and wire them tothe side of the cage. They can be easily removed if we needto dump them, but the rabbits can't tip them.

(My hubby is an electrician, so I'm always raiding his stash of electrical boxes LOL).

I was at the hardware store with Matthew when he was little when he sawall the shelves of electrical boxes and said, "Wow! They surehave a lot of rabbit dishes here!".

Pam

Boricua_bunny wrote:
I have problem andI don't know how toexplain it. I am using a self feeder and has worked great when myrabbit was on free feed. Now that I am only giving him 1/2 cup a day,it is harder for him to fit his head inside the feeder to get thepellets all the way at the bottom. Is there any way that I can fixthis? Or should I switch over to a crock bowl?

~Josh

From the Cheat Sheet: -Fat-faced, big headed bunnies need feed containers they can get their heads in.:D

Our Binkie started to have a hard time getting her chubby little facefar enough down into the J feeder when we stopped free feeding her, sowe opted to switch her to a bowl and she's be doing fine.

~JimD

Boricua_bunny wrote:
I have problem andI don't know how toexplain it. I am using a self feeder and has worked great when myrabbit was on free feed. Now that I am only giving him 1/2 cup a day,it is harder for him to fit his head inside the feeder to get thepellets all the way at the bottom. Is there any way that I can fixthis? Or should I switch over to a crock bowl?

~Josh

Wide mouth feeders are great for breeds with big heads . . .

[align=center] [/align]
[align=left]Pam[/align]

Latest posts

Back