Scent Glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Well folks, it's that time! Poppy's beginning to smell like a skunk, so time for a scent gland clean up! I've looked at them before, and they seem to be caked with wax.

I was wondering what I should use to clean them, and how to do it? I know it's a sensitive area, so not sure if I should do it myself or maybe look into a vet cleaning them. Poppy trances so easily,so if I know what to do I'm sure I could pull something off!

Thanks.

:blushan:Not looking forawrd to the stinky smell though! ;)

Haha, I remember the first time I checked Cookie's (which really needed a q-tipping), my mom was holding him tranced and I parted the scent gland and we both were like WHOA! at the same time as the smell hit us. LOL

I used a cotton ball , q-tip and baby oil. Easy when they're tranced.

Would warm water work instead of baby oil? I probably could get baby oil if needed, but just wondering if warm water could work as well?

I used olive oil once... I've used olive oil on my own skin before so I know it's not harmful, same effect as baby oil.

Basically I found the oil helps lubricate the gunk with out making its mushy. I'm not sure if water would absorb into the gunk and make it harder to remove.

I've found it's normally a quick process. Both Wildfire's and Nutmegs was basically one large piece that needed removing.

--Dawn

It's really funny-I never knew about this. I'm sure my priss Angel doesn't have this, but I'll check sometime. Now Snuffles on the other hand, it's been plenty of time since his neuter, but even after his pan and cage have been cleaned, there's a musky smell to him, guess I need to check that out-yuck-don't wanna :faint:.

I'll try with some warm water and see. Poppy is pretty patient and a doll when she is tranced, so hopefully I can figure it out! :).

I've used water before.
I works, but not as well as baby oil or mineral oil.

I bought the baby oil, but not sure if it will work or OK to use.

It's baby oil, but it has aloe vera and vitamin E. It says fast absorbing on it, so I don't know if I should use it?

The ingredients are mineral oil, Hydrogenated Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe barbadensis, Parfum.

:ponder:.

Also does someone mind posting the general steps how to do it? It's going to be my first time, sosome guidance would be much appreciated! :)

I don't know if Aloe Vera is safe for rabbits,but other than that it should work just fine. Maybe someone else will know.

When I clean scent glads, I take a q-tip and dip it in the oil. Then, if bunny is not already in a position to easily access the scent glands, I get them into position. It can sometimes help to have someone else hold the bunny if they don't trance well.

Then I hold the scent gland open, and with the q-tip, work the gunk out. Try to start from the bottom and pull up, to avoid pushing anything back down.

And repeat as necessary.

I find it handy to have a paper towel near by to put the gunky stuff on, and any dirty q-tips. It should be pain less for the bunny. And both that I have done, seemed to enjoy it, so it must be relieving to get the gunk removed.

--Dawn

Spring, Hope you can do it. I actually attempted it the other night and there's too much hair there so I will have to try again and as Haley mentioned, wet the area down.Maybe that will help you! :)

I flipped her over and looked again tonight. She has her winter coat, so very hard to find them! I did find what I'm pretty sure are scent glands, but to my surprise were pretty clean!Only a bit at the top that came off. So I don't know if the skunk smell just comes and goes?

I hadn't opened them fully before, only a bit at the top. Is it possible that the other waxy stuff in the gland maybe just came out?There was a piece of crusty black stuff before just at the top, but wasn't there this time. I was expecting something way more serious than what it was.

:dunno:

IMO..... I wouldn't use the oil if it has aloe in it. Aloe is on the unsafe list.

It sounds like Poppy is like our stinky Binkie!
Binkie's always stinking up the place, but she's ALWAYS clean.
I think she just likes to make sure everyone knows what's her's.

Binkie's not spayed, and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it.

Well, I recently found out that rabbits can release that lovely stench at will. Oberon does it quite a bit when he gets nervous/aggressive about the girls. Suddenly the distinct smell of skunk starts wafting through the room.:yuck

Since unspayed buns tend to be more territorial, maybe they put the stench out more often?

Alright, good thing I didn't use the baby oil. Rather be safe than sorry!

It could be? Poppy isn't spayed, so that could be it. It doesn't bother me too much. :D.

Where are the scent glands located? Are they in both sexes or just one? How does the rabbit use them?

I have not heard of this with rabbits, but gerbils have them. Both males and females have them but the males use theirs much more and it is more pronounced on them (it is right in the middle of the belly). After the cage has been cleaned, males will often sort of skim their bellies across everything in the cage to mark territory.

Latest posts

Back