Sandboxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a little wooden sandboxon the porch of my apartmentfor my rabbit because he seems tolike digging. Unfortunately, he thinks that the carpet is forburrowing in, and I feel bad that he can't really romp around much.

Does anyone have a sandbox for their rabbits? Do they like it? What kind of sand do you use?

I belive LuvaBun has one and her bunnies justlove it. I think there is even pics in her home thread ofthem playing in it!

My girls made a "digging box" out of my magazinebasket. I keep old magazines and catalogs in there now andit's their favorite toy. They get in it, tear the paper withtheir mouths and dig up more.

Laura

That's a really good idea!

I used to hate junk mail. Now I just put it in JJ's cage andlet him rip through it during the night. He loves it, too.

I take one of those long soda can boxes, leaveone end closed, and stuff it with shredded newspaper. Theythink that if they dig through it, there will be something on the otherside. Gets them every time.:p Hay would work welltoo, and encourage them to eat more. I'm all about thehay.:cool:

PGG is right. I have an outdoor sandpit, and mytwo just love it. It has also stopped them from digging up the flowersand garden :)

PPsandpit5.jpg

pernodpit.jpg

perrydigs.jpg

Jan

:sunshine:

I'm so glad Jan responded to this thread. Pernod and Perry are thefirst ones I think about when I think of rabbits in a sandbox.

Is the upkeep difficult, Jan?

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. No, there is virtually nothingto do with it. We still have the same sand in it that we first put in 2years ago - they don't use it as a litter box. The sandpit is actuallya childs sandpit bought from a child/baby shop, and has a waterproofcanopy which slides down on top of it when not in use. Pernod and Perryactually sit on this if it's not open, as an ussubtle hint that theywant in it :?. I've got to say, it is the best thing we've bought them.It also came in a long box, which they use as a tunnel inside thehouse. 2 toys for the price of one :D

Jan

Hi Jan, :wave:

The waterproof canopy is Key!

I know that they are prone to capturing some of the more 'vicious'ants. I know many that have had to break their sandboxes down andrebuild them in a different area because of the ants. That was always aconcern.

I also wondered if the rabbits used it as a litterbox.

-Carolyn

I want to get my bunnies sandboxes but I thinkI'm going to get some long and short Rubbermaid containers (like theones meant for putting wrapping paper rolls in) and use those. But forthose who have more room to put a bandbox outside, I imagine one ofthose plastic ones are good.

FE244A71_2d.jpg

It's not huge but it's a good size for a rabbit. It's also completelyenclosed so no problems with ants or anything. As long as you keep itclosed when not in use!

It's relatively cheap too, I mean I could get that for $30 here and that's well wort hours of fun and play.

Thanks for the great pictures andadvice! I definitely think I'm going to invest in somethinglike this for JJ. My problem is that I don't really have alot of room. I'll have to build an itty bitty one.I'll also have to see how my roommate feels about the rabbit taking upthe porch completely with a cage and sandbox. :ponder:

Only bad things abuot the kind like MBB postedin that pic is the plastic lids tend to warp a bit and they are harderto keep covered well. I used to have to keep a brick on myson's....and then it didn't seal the best..but at least it kept thecats and their "tootsie rolls" out of it!

I didn't think about that. Obviously I don't have kids so I'm not quite in toon with all this but you do have a good point!

Our rabbits usedto have a sand digging box. But we had issues with neighborhood catswanting to use it as, well...you know :?

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

My parents have the turtle one for my kids toplay in when they are there. They asked me if I wanted to take it home,and I hadn't thought of it as an Elf toy, but why not? :) We do havelots of cats in the neighborhood (crazy cat lady lives across thestreet)...so I'd have to be very careful to close it up tightly.

nose_twitch wrote:
Elf Mommy wrote:
(crazy catlady lives across the street)

:rofl: I think there's one in every neighborhood.

I think every neighbourhood has one of each particular animal, youknow, cat lady, dog lady, rabbit lady, geez I even know asnake lady

A sand pit is such a great idea!! Wow! I want one!!!

We use to have a catlady who lived down our road but she moved, and now a dog lady lives there! lol

Are your bunnies house bunnies too Jan?

I would imagine it would be like going to the beach, you find sandevery where all week! The only thing i am thinknig about is that :p

Do you get trails of sand thru ur house? lol

Luckily, we don't have much of an ant problemhere. The waterproof canopy does have the added effect of keeping 'catgifts' out, as well as much of the rain :). having said that, since wegot the rabbits, we don't have a problem with visiting cats.

Linz - Pernod and Perry are house rabbits, but we have a cat flap intothe garden so they can come and go as they please. We don't get sand inthe house, but I sometimes have to brush the sand out of their coats,as they roll in it.

catflap.jpg

Perry using the catflap.

Jan

Latest posts

Back