San Juan rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky7

Reaction score
I have been looking around online for picturesof this type of rabbit. We got a female and she is supposed to be a SanJuan. Maybe Im not spelling it right I dont know but I cant findanything online about them. Does anyone know anything about this typeof rabbit or better yet have pictures? I will try and post a picture ofher.

San Juan rabbits are the Feral descendants ofBelgian Hares. Around here (WV) they are highly prized andbreed to help train hunting dogs hunt cottontails.

Here's one photo. Note that one of therabbits in the photo has Dutch markings. It's not unusual forbreeders to cross the San Juans with other breeds such as theDutch. These look very similar to the cottontails thathunters are attemting to simulate, however, the coats are not as coarseand the bone is not as fine.

Pam

[align=center]
rabbits.jpg
[/align]

Here is a picture of a friends rabbit this is supposed to be a San Juan too. What do you guys think?

As Jennibluhasstated San Juans are highly prized by small game hunters to train theirdogs. San Juanslook kinda like a Brittannia Petite(sp?) they like to sit up, they have fine bones like Pamstated. My uncle raises them to train his beagle pups on.

Back