Safe types of hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunnie8

Reaction score
Well I found someone in my area that has balesof hay. He has orchard hay and meadow hay which is a blend of orchardhay and blue grass...I looked around and I couldn't find anything thatsaid whether blue grass was ok to feed to the bunnies...

Assuming the meadow hay is safe, do you think I still need to find someother type of hayor should it be fine by its self.

As far as I know, any type of grass is okay for buns.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember someone feeding blue grass to there buns on this forum.

I think it should be fine.

--Dawn

Do you have the calici virus in your area? I doin mine and any bales of hay must be stored for 3 months before use sonothing bad is passed onto my bunnies.

aurora369 wrote:
As far as I know, any type of grass is okay for buns.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember someone feeding blue grass to there buns on this forum.

I think it should be fine.

--Dawn

I also remeber someone posting that! They could only get blue grass in their area.

I have also heard that meadow hay is okay and just to check it out for anything that shouldn't be in it.

minilops wrote:
Do you have the calici virus in your area? I do in mine andany bales of hay must be stored for 3 months before use so nothing badis passed onto my bunnies.

What is calici virus and how would I find out if we have it here??

Thats good news about the meadow hay, as I am running low on hay...:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::D

If there was a VHD outbreak in the US, we'd haveheard about it by now. It's rare, although there was one inIndiana last year. Australia, New Zealand, and Britain havelots of problems with it because they purposefully introduced the virusto "control" the wild rabbit populations.

Orchard hay and bluegrass are great for bunnies. Oxbowactually sells orchard hay and my buns love it. Personally,I'd get a bale of the mixed stuff. Rabbits like variety andit's fun for them to get different types of hay. My kids gettwo "plain" types of hay and "mixed grass" that has a couple differentthings in it. They eat more hay when I put a little ofeverything in their hay racks.

naturestee wrote:
Orchard hay and bluegrass are great for bunnies.Oxbow actually sells orchard hay and my buns love it.Personally, I'd get a bale of the mixed stuff. Rabbits likevariety and it's fun for them to get different types of hay.My kids get two "plain" types of hay and "mixed grass" that has acouple different things in it. They eat more hay when I put alittle of everything in their hay racks.

Kaytee has Orchard and Bermuda, too.
My buns get timothy on a regular basis.
I use the Orchard and Bermuda to fill toys, tubes, boxes, etc.

I do that too! I can't afford to getsmall bags of Oxbow through the mail, especially since I don't plan onordering bales from them now that I have a good local source.So orchard grass and oat hay are special treats and are used to stufftoys.

naturestee wrote:
I do that too! I can't afford to get small bags ofOxbow through the mail, especially since I don't plan on ordering balesfrom them now that I have a good local source. So orchardgrass and oat hay are special treats and are used to stuff toys.
I'm so tempted to buy the Oxbow timothy online. It works out to half ofwhat I'm paying...that's including the shipping cost, too!

I'm a little apprehensive about not being able to choose products myself.
I'm the one that squeezes, thumps, and smells everything in the produceaisle beforedeciding. I'll inspect 5 or 6 heads of romainebefore picking one for the bunnies.
The Pet Goods keeps a dozen bags of the Kaytee timothy on the shelf andI'll go through ALL of them checking for quality. I'll even open thebags sometimes and stick my face and hands in it.

Do it, Jim!!! It's so much better thanKaytee! And it's definately better costwise. I hadone iffy box this spring which Fey and Sprite didn't like, although nowthey'll eat it. There was nothing really wrong with it, itwas just a little more brown. Still much better than anyKaytee hay I've ever seen.

Same goes for their orchard grass. My guys weren't impressedwith the Kaytee stuff but the Oxbow stuff is very popular withthem. And the oat hay is pure addiction quality.Mocha and Loki both make mad dashes for it whenever I open the closetdoor. If I don't buy a bale of oat hay (don't think I havespace for a 4th bale), I'll have to order more of that.

I'm buying locally because it's good quality and only $5 for a 50 lb bale.:D

:threadhijacked

Yep :?, we have a bit of a calici problem herebecause of the wild rabbits pestering farmers. Just the other week myfriends horse tripped in a rabbit warren , so they flushed it out andfed it to the dogs :shock:. All I could think of was the poor rabbit!It's not it's fault it's nature tells it to dig holes.

Hay is kinda annoying here, we don't have the choices that the peoplein the states have when it comes to getting good hay at pet shops.There are no branded bags of hay or anything like that. Our hay isnever green, it's more like straw but smaller and finer. It smellsgreat though! And in the summer I dry the grass from the lawn and addthat into BunBun's hay as he doesn't like fresh grass.

When I ask about the hay I buy, like what type is it, all I get arefunny looks and smart-ass replies such as "the hay kind!" or just "umyou know, grass stuff".

A bale from a farm lasts me quite a few months, if I store it right.It's about $7 a bale, if I get some from the pet shop though it's about$7 for a little plastic bag full.

Latest posts

Back