safe foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrel

Reaction score
Hi I am after some advice. Ihave looked on the cheat sheets at foods which are safe and those thatare not but cannot find grapes or raisins listed anywhere.

Can anyone tell me if these are safe for rabbits as my three year olddaughter has just shared her bowl of grapes with Squirrel andBlackberry Pie (I didn't name them).

Thanks

grapes and raisins are ok :) mybunnies lovvvvvve grapes!! :) however, i only feedthem maybe half each a day most of the time.. fruit = sugar!:) they also love cherries :)

Those are alright but watch the amount because of the sugar =) I just fed my bunnies a raisin each for supper, hehe.

I honestly don't know where I read it,but I did read one time that grapes/raisins are not good forrabbits (or dogs either). Seems like it said they can betoxic over a period of time. I remember being shocked becauseI used to give my dog grapes sometimes.

Again, I don't know where I read it or if it's true, but ever since then, I haven't taken the chance.

Since this is about safe foods I thought I'd goahead and ask; are life cereal and lucky charms (not the marshmallows)good for rabbits? I didn't know if that would be on a sheet anywhere ornot. :?

Generally the only cereal you should feed rabbitis cheerios and wheatabix. Life and Lucky Charms have WAY too muchsugar and junk. Safe human foods should only be fed in small quantitiesas a treat a few times a week.

Thanks Shuu. I was wondering since that's thekind of cereal we have at home right now. Aren't the plain flakes likein banana nut crunch good, as long as they're not frosted or anything?

I don't think apricots are such a goodidea for some reason, I'm not sure why but maybe someone else couldshed some light.

If you do a google search on bunny foods you amy come up with some answers that could help.

3 years ago when we bought Abby I was told thatif grapes was given to smaller buns it can cause runny poops and otherproblems so I never gave Abby any and rasins too. I did not know aboutthis forum until Abby turned 2. MeatHead gets a few rasins at nightwhen we head to bed. He thinks that we are letting him out as soon aswe enter the bedroom on to our bed.

A few grapes are generally fine, but gorging ongrapes (or any new food) can be fatal. We used to have arabbit in the house that would run to the refrigerator when we openedit, grab the entire bag of grapes and run!

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Afew grapes are generally fine, but gorging on grapes (or any new food)can be fatal. We used to have a rabbit in the house thatwould run to the refrigerator when we opened it, grab the entire bag ofgrapes and run!

Pam
I got to see that. That would be funny seeing a small bun trying to run with the whole bag of grapes.

LOL it would definatly be amusing, almost asmuch so as a bunny trying to catch the preverbial{sp} Tiger by thetail. Which is what my ND does to the cat.

Whew.....after searching and searching.......Ivefound several sites that list apricots along with grapes and othersugary fruits as ok in small amounts.........
Which relieves me becasue Salvaje is crazy for them....
I buy him the organic freeze dried kind........
He doesnt like grapes (just the stems), or raisins piles them up awayfrom his treat dish , banana, orange or pumpkin!!! he is picky!
However he wont be pleased to find that I cant give him one every morning....
he will be cut back to a few a week :(...
I read that its the branches from apricot trees that are bad...along with Cherry.
He is a litte...ahem*........plump....

Latest posts

Back