Roughing up a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Stee

Reaction score
I was just laying in the bunny room watchingthem eat when I realized that their cage floor is getting a littleslick again. The floor of the cage is made of a plastic thatwas originally pretty slick. I took a thing of sandpaper toit to make it rough and thought that their nails would keep it thatway, but I guess bunny butts make good buffers because I just noticedtonight that you can't even tell that I sandpapered it and it looks asslick as ever. (this took about 2 months)
My question is, does anyone out there have any good ideas or timeproven strategies to help make our bunny cage less of a bunny slidethat is more permanent then sandpaper without useing something to coverit (The floor in there now makes cleaning the cage actually enjoyablebecause it is so easy. Besides, if you put things on thefloor, the bunnies shred it, throw it in their waterbowls, and itsometimes makes the cage even slicker. Kind of like a sled.)

Any ideas are appreciated since I am a little stumped at this time.
James

What about using a electric sander to sand itdeeper. It would probably last longer than sanding by hand,because it would have the pressure behind it to make deeper grooves.

What about gluing( hot glue) a couple pices of Shim boards, they are thin enough tolay basically flat , if you decide to usethem be sure they are not the graduated oneswhere thin turns to thick at one end.

I use these "door mats". I get them atmy "other home", Walmart. They have a little rubber backingto prevent sliding and are very thin. The nap is very tightand my buns rarely make lunch of them. Easy to clean (I throwthem in the washer) and cheap.

Gypsy, what exactly is a shim board. Iknow a shim is a small thin piece of wood used to fill gaps and wedgethings like windows,doorframes, and such tight into place, but I don'tthink I know what a shim board is.

Doots mom, What are those mats made out of. I would be scaredto have anything in their cage that was made of rubber, or undigestableyet soft material. I know that one certain stinker for surewould try eating it. Is their a mat that is safe to ingestmaybe.

if your worried about eating .. the next bestthing are natural grass mats ... you can find them at pier 1 and ibelieve Raspberry said you can find them at home depot as well.

Mr. Stee....They are made of 100% Stainresistant Olefin w/non-slid backing (made in GA, USA). I havebeen using them, for years, without any problems. The worstthat's ever been done to them is their being chewed (not eaten) by thebuns. They last a long time for $2.63! I tried thegrass door mats and found them to be very messy. The bunsenjoyed them very much!!! The debris clogged my Shop-Vactubes! I just don't trust the grass mats because they aremade over-seas and all imported fibers (even clothes) are nowchemically sprayed for bugs before they/it enters the States.

FreddysMom wrote:
if your worried about eating .. the next best thing arenatural grass mats ... you can find them at pier 1 and i believeRaspberry said you can find them at home depot as well.
You can also get those straw mats at PetCo too ;)

By the way, is that a calico dutch? Beautiful! I've never seen a bunny like that. SO pretty!

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

I'm getting a bit sick of this cage floor. It was gettingreally slippery again so we put tub treads on it. You know,the really thin ones that I thought the buns would never get theirteeth under. It's been one week and do you know what Mochaand Loki are doing?

CHEWING AND EATING THE TUB TREADS! They are coming out right away!

I'm at a bit of a loss about how to make this floor safe.Mocha has a history of eating rubber (doorstop, toilet plunger) so nodoor or bath mats. I suppose I could get a new grass mat andzip tie it on one side to make it stay, but Mocha decided the last onewas a litter box. Eww.

Any more suggestions? Is there anything I could spray on thefloor to texturize it that woud be both safe and still comfortable?

Latest posts

Back