Roger may not be well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I have noticed that in the last couple of daysthat Roger isnt finishing his food. He is however eating some but notall of it. Leaving more than eating.. He is still drinking.He ate a peice of pineapple and is pooping but not as much asnormal. I got some canned punkin and he got some inhis mouth plus his face.. He is pretty active.

Should I treat this as a blockage? I am a little worried but not tooscared yet, but if something is wrong I want to figure it out.

Cristy

I'd give him plenty of hay, dandelion greens anda little Nutri Cal. Seem to be a lot of rabbits off theirfeed recently -- may be the weather.

If he starts to rapidly loose weight, gets dehyrated or takes a turn for the worse, I'd get him to the vet for an exam.

Pam

Is your house really warm? He mightnot be eating from the heat. Has he been doing this for longor is it just the last day? If it keeps up, I'd say call yourvet. For now, continue what you are doing and follow Pam'sadvice too.

ditto to the above.. and just wanted to add thatboth of mine go 'off their feed' now and then.. they'll gobble up alltheir pellets for weeks..then all of a sudden they'll barely eat any ofthem, but eat up everything else.. as long as your bun is still eatingand drinking..

Pam's giving great advice. I'd followthat and give it a couple of days. A few of my buns haven'tbeen eating very well and Elvis had me really worried. I'veattributed the majority of it to the heat. It's been so hotand my house isn't air conditioned, so the only animals in my housethat are eating a lot are my lizards!

Jen

I am having the same problem with Guin and Girright now, so I am thinking the weather as well. They arenibbling, but not gorging like they usualy do. Anubis isstill the piggie ;)

Hey Jen,

I'm sorry that I did not get a chance to say goodbye the other nightafter our short little road trip. Goodbye!! There Ijust made up for it. Sorry for interrupting. Itwont happen again.

well its been about three days since i noticedhim not eating as much. I gave him some punkin andput some water in his mouth cause it didnt look like he had drank muchduring the day. Since then he has ate some anddrank some on his own.. I will get the nutrical tomorrow if he dontgobble down his food, and where do i get dandilion leaves? Can i get itat the store? I

Our house has centrel air so he shouldnt be hot, but it maybe hotterthen normal cause i been told that it can only keep the apartment 20degrees cooler than the outside. Thanks everyonefor the advice. Roger is mad at me right now but o well.

Cristy

You can get dandelion leaves from the grocery story or from an unsprayed yard.

Pam

you can get dandelion leaves fromagrocery store??? I never knew that. Where wouldthat be at? the produce department? All of our dandelionshave dies here due to no rain for ages on end.

My charges appetite has definitely dwindled downwith the heat and the humidity. I am giving them NutriCal andwatching their intake, drinking, poops very carefully.

Will pray that our little one is getting better by the hour, Cristy.

:pray:

-Carolyn

MY Bratswho go off feed seemto like Water Cress too ,I stand the bundle up in cool water forabout an hour before feeding soit draws up as much water asit can , I do thiswith all the greens ,especially thru this hot stickymuggy period we are in, the cool of thegreens seem to make them wantto nibble at least onit more than normal. That wayif there is a question of them not drinkingenough I knew they at leastgot some extra fluids .

Update on Roger... I couldnt find nutrical andno dandilions in the store and cause of lack of rain no where that iknow of has them in the yards.

He is eating better and going poop alot more than he was.. What i didwas give him punkin he actully justs eats it out of his bowl andyesterday I started feeding him meat baby food. He actully just eats itfrom the spoon. He still isnt drinking much.. abouta oz or two a day when he used to drink so much more.. I amgiving him water from a dropper and i even switched Luv and his waterbottle to see if his bottle is broke. It seems to be workingfine, but i wanted to see if with a different bottle he would drinkup. Thats not changing from what i cansee. He is pretty active.. Anything I can do to gethim to drink more??, and should i keep up with the punkin and babyfood.. he is eating pellets on his own now.

Cristy

You might want to switch to a vegetable babyfood. Rabbits have trouble digesting animalproteins. Other than that, you could try putting vanilla or asmall amount of unsweetened fruit juice in his water. Youcould also try giving him a bowl in addition to the bottle.He could smell the vanilla/juice, and I was reading that some rabbitsdrink more water out of a bowl than they do out of water bottles.

Good to hear he's doing a bit better!

If your not already putting vanilla in hiswater, might give that a shot..my Oreo didn't drink much when she firstcame home, but vanilla seems to have helped that alot!

Latest posts

Back