Rocky isn't doing very well :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
I came home from work today and when Rocky came out of his cage he was a little wobbly so I took him to the vet straight away and he said that it could be one of a few things and only one thing is treatable. He is pretty certain he has neurological problems.

He gave me some Panacur so I can start treating him but he has gotten a little worse over the evening. He doesn't seem to be sick, just that he cant really stand properly and keeps falling over.

Has anyone had the same thing? I am very worried :( I love my little boy so much I hope he will be ok. Just kind of pouring my heart out here. No one really understands that I love him so much because he is a bunny but he is my best mate. Please spare a thought or a prayer for him :hearts

Sending good thoughts to Rocky. I've had one occurrence of "spinning" with Kreacher due to ear mites. It's tough to see them struggle.

Please keep us posted on your Sweet Rocky.

K :(

Is his head tilted at all? Does he itch his ears alot? Do his ears smell bad? ->(infection)

lots of prayers for a speedy recovery for Rocky. A lot of us feel the same way about our bunnies, they become our best friends. That is what RO is for, bunch of people all in love with their bunnies, that way at least someone understands.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Rocky is about the same today so he hasn't gotten worse which is good. He seems to be in high spirits considering he is wobbly and can't do a lot so that is comforting I guess. He stayed in my room last night he loved it, heaps spoiled :p

His head isn't tilting and he doesn't have ear mites or an infection which is why the vet believes it is in his brain. I am hoping it is treatable so we will see if his meds do anything. If he doesn't hop in a straight line he loses his balance, I feel bad that there isn't much I can do.

He isn't really eating either I think he is pouting more than anything so I will give him some critical care to top up his tummy :)

Thanks LakeCondo.

Is it a bad sign that he has been laying down a lot? I know he is unwell but he wont come over for cuddles at all and is just laying flat on the ground, head on the floor and everything. I guess I'm just not used to seeing him unwell.

He keeps sneaking little bites of his pellets and a little parsley and drinking a little water, but he isn't eating much at all, should I be worried? Just debating whether to start force feeding him some critical care to keep the system moving or whether I should just leave him be. I took the day off work today but I have to go back tomorrow and I want to make sure he will have something in his belly.

Poor little bub, it's breaking my heart that I can't do anything but wait :(

I'm sorry to hear that it isn't better news =S.

Two of my buns fall asleep completely flat on the ground or to the side with their feet stretched out, could it be that he's just trying to get comfortable?

Either way, since it appears to be normal behaviour, I would ask the vet if it is time to feed some critical care.

Personally, I would go with a second opinion as well.

Sorry I don't have any real advice, just hoping that Rocky makes a swift recovery...

Hi all, thanks for the well wishes, Rocky is doing pretty well, he isn't wobbling and seems to be back in almost normal spirits (minus being a cranky pants when I squirt the Panacur in his mouth lol) and he is eating a bit more.

The vet that I went to is a pretty good vet, there aren't many vets that really know a lot about rabbits around here and he seems to be the best one out of the lot, so I trust him.

He had a really good look at him and he has seem him before and asked if I can keep him updated with his progress. None of the other vets I have seen really care that much and are very quick to make a decision when they are obviously out of their league.

Funny story: when Rocky was neutered I took him to a different vet and I made them do a blood test to check him out and they ended up calling the vet that I took him to this time to get their opinion on the blood work because they didn't really know. that was a bit unnerving :S

Long story short, I have been giving Rocky Panacur since Monday night so I am not sure if he is doing so well because we acted so quickly and got the stuff into him quickly or because he really just had an ear infection or something. I'm not really sure how long it would usually take to see improvement if it was what the vet originally though with his brain.

It is strange because it happened very suddenly and he recovered so quickly and the vet said that his ears were very clear. Could it have been an infection further down so we couldn't see?

I will go back to the vet and see what he says too just wondering what peoples opinions are on this? :)

Vets who don't know what they don't know are a real problem, so I guess you wouldn't want to go back to any of them. I guess it's not so bad to be pretty certain that it's something that doesn't need a drastic treatment.

And it sounds like Rocky is getting better. Maybe Rocky thought he was a boxer named Rocky & got punch drunk. lol

Wonder if he had a sinus infection. That would definitely affect his balance. You don't necessarily get a running nose with a sinus infection. Keep an eye on him, a dose or two of critical care wouldn't hurt.

LOL Rocky DOES think he is a human so a boxer wouldn't be too much of a stretch :p

He is eating well now so the critical care is back in the cupboard for next time.

I think he had something like a sinus infection or an early ear infection, or something along those lines that is less serious than a brain infection. I will call the vet on Monday and see what he says.

The day I say him wobbling and falling over he fell over on the tiles and I'm not sure if he was wobbling before that or not or if when he fell over he hit his head and maybe he had a slight concussion? Before he slipped he was sitting in a strange spot in his cage, he never sits there, it was like he was trying to hide so I think he was ill before he slipped.

It's a bit of a mystery :S I will keep a close eye on him in case anything changes.

Latest posts

Back