Rex fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyKatMe

Reaction score
As you might know, I have a litter of six babies. Two of them are rex coated, and so is Mama. Are they really hypoallergenic? There is someone who really would like to have one but is mildly allergic.

I don't know..I have a rex but no allergies.sorry!

So you had a litter, mom mini rex and dad not...but you got 2 rex fur babies?

I've heard several people say they think they are, however, I have found it highly the opposite in my case. Our mini rex is the only critter I've come across who I'm THAT allergic too. Most animals I have absolutely *no* problem with, but Taffy makes me sneeze and sneeze.

There are no hypoallergenic rabbits (or dogs or cats for that matter). While they can tend to be better for people with allergies, people can still be allergic to them. People do tend to be allergic to bedding (shavings) or hay rather than the actual rabbit.

The people who are interested should come visit the rabbits. If you can,let them meet some adults, preferably ones that are related to the babies. Once the babies are old enough, then they can meet the babies and well and see if there are any issues. You could also offer a trial period for them, a few weeks where the have the rabbit and if it does not work out then they can return the rabbit and get their money back. You could lend a cage if you wanted, but don't need too. It would also be important for them to be around hay as well to see if that is an issue. You can work with bedding and not use some products, but hay is something that is hard to avoid.

MyBabyHasPaws, the mother is a standard rex, and yes she had 2 rex furs:). But its kind of weird, because her last litter was all rex. Hmm. And the person is actually allergic to the rabbit, not bedding, as they have other small critters.

Very interesting, may I ask what breed the father is?

How long till you knew it was rex fur?

I have a litter now that the mother is minilop and the father is mini rex. Really hoping for some rex fur here lol. My favorite rabbit is the mini rex or standard rex.

Actually it was only a few days. The normals had tiny straight whiskers and the rexes had curly/bent thin ones. The father is a Netherland Dwarf.

I was going to ask how do you know the difference, I just got a rabbit from the pet store and they said it he is a rex and I have no Idea he does have curly whiskers but I dont know if thats the only way you can tell or is there other ways?

I am SEVERELY allergic to cats and dogs. So, before I got my rabbit I did a lot of research... I wanted to get a rex, but I fell in love with (what we think is an English Spot) at the Humane Society, and so I had to get him. I've had absolutely no allergies with him. But, I've heard of people being fine with like a lop, then getting a rex and being severely allergic.

I think it just depends on the person... I'd get the potential buyer to pet the mom and see how she reacts (if that's a possibility.)

Rexes from pet stores sometimes have grimy or unhealthy fur, but the whiskers r always right!:)

Yep, no rex's in my litter.

I learned that the rex fur is a recessive gene and 2 genes need to be carried in order for the fur to come out like that. I'm assuming your doe carries those 2 genes. Where as if you had a rex doe and a rex buck its just natural for it to happen since that automatically gives the 2 genes needed. Pretty cool!

Interesting. I guess my doe does carry those two genes!:)

Latest posts

Back