Resolved-Pernod isn't Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Jan, my heart is breaking for you and John. I know how much she means to you both.

Can you ask to take the xrays to Stans vet for a second opinion? Did she discuss whether or not a biopsy would be possible to determine if its an abscess or a tumor? From what I understand they look very similar on an xray. Or I wonder if it would be worth trying Bicillin injections just in case? It couldnt hurt and could actually help the other infection if you did it every other day.

Please dont give up hope.Pernod isa strong one and I just know she'll fight as long as she can.

We're here for you Jan. Im praying for you and your special girl.

Haley

:tears2:Oh Jan...I was dreading coming on here and hearing this news. I can't tell you how devastated I am, I was really hoping that she could pull through this.When I first met Pernod I knew what a special little bunny she is - even my dad fell for her and he really isn't a rabbit person! I'm so so sorry for you and Pernod, Jan.:( I'm hereif everyou need to talk, ok?:hug:

Sending prayers of strength to you and Pernod.:pray:

Oh Jan!! :cry2I'm so sorry about Pernod. I hope she gets better from the ear infection and stuff.... I know your heart must be breaking.

*hugs*

Ugh, Jan... this is the first time I've been on in a bit and i came to check on our girl first. I'm so sorry this is happening, I don't even know what to say, it's just such a shock and I'm speechless and so sad. I love Pernod so much, I can only imagine how painful this is for you - so not a good time for her or you these past few weeks.

My heart is with both of you guys, and Pernod has been in my thoughts constantly (and will continue to be).

LOTS of love and hugs to you and Pernod. :(

Nadia

*cuddles Jan*

You know I can relate because of what is happening with my Sweep, currently. I hope, hope, hope that the food gets to you soon and can help in some small way.

You know where I am if you want to talk/vent/chat or anything at all.

I'll be thinking of you and Pernod and wishing I could do more to help.

x

Oh, God, Jan, I just logged-in (due to these persistant webpage access problems) and saw this...I couldn't help crying for sweet Pernod...I just couldn't believe what I was reading...

I wanted to tell you that, as Haley said, I also think it would be a good idea to be absolutely certain on if it's an abscess or a tumor by getting a second opinion. It is, indeed, accurate that an abscess looks like a tumor on an x-ray. Please note that Pasteurella causes abscesses in various parts of the rabbit body, both external and internal, an abscess attached to an organ is common. So, make sure of what it is, as an abscess has a completely different prognosis than a liver tumor.

Just hang in there, have courage, give Pernod a lot of kisses from Vitto and me.

Marietta

Firstly, I want to thank you all for your kind words and messages - they are helping me try and get through this.

Haley, the vet I went to is Stan's original vet (I think the one he actually got Pebbles from). She is excellent, and I know I was lucky to see her, as she doesn't usually have any appointments free at short notice. When I see her on Thursday, she is actually starting work early just to fit us in. She showed me the xrays, and also xrays of what a normal bunny should be like. Pernod's liver is a different shape. She also has a slight abnormal heartbeat, and her heart is a little larger than normal.

She did mention a biopsy, but can't do it with the pasteurella being so bad, so hopefully the Sulfatrim will help clear it. I have to say that I don't think Pernod was quite as snuffly this morning, and although there is still a lot of discharge, it was nowhere near as much as yesterday. I am still cleaning her nose every hour, and she seems quite pleased about that. i also bathed her fromt paws as they were all sticky too.

She has 3 syringes of Critical Care so far today, and although not happy about it, she didn't spit out so much. At the moment we are in the garden (she seems happier outside) and she has eaten some dandelions and grass on her own, which she wouldn't even try yesterday. Then she lays in a sunny spot dozing.

Something I did notice. Yesterday, SHadow wouldn't go anywhere near Pernod, not even before we went to the vet. He would like go near her, then turn and hop quickly away. Possibly sensing something? Today, although not snuggling, they did lay in the same area, and have eaten grass together.

So, I guess we will know better what our options are on Thursday. I just wish that her liver would miraculously 'put itself right' and my little girl could be back to normal. I keep telling her I need her more than Perry (her previous bondmate and true love), and so does Shadow.

Thanks again for all your support :hug:

Jan

Well it sounds like Stan's vet is a very good one so that is one positive thing.
I have never used sulfatrim so I don't know how fast it kicks in.. I know that it has sometimes taken babette 48-72 hrs to be better when she has the respiratory infction(probably pasturella also)

I sure hope that she improves .....
I believe that some petrabbits become more attentive when their partner is sick and others are repelled by it. I believe that in nature if one rabbit is ill other rabbits instinctively know that the sick rabbit will attract predators. Instinct would make them keep their distance.

Jan,

I'm just catching up on this now....stupid computer issues! I'm so sorry for all of the pain and stress that you all are having to go through. :pray:for healing, strength, and peace for Pernod, you and John. I just know that she feels all of the love that you are giving her.....Take care...here's hoping that Thursday brings better news.

Hi Jess, thanks for asking.

Well, we went back to see Dr Goble this afternoon. Pernod seemed much perkier yesterday, and ate oats for the first time in a week, as well as grass in the garden. She also seemed less snuffly.

Dr Goble was really pleased with how the Sulfatrim was helping the pasteurella. She said that Pernod looked lots better, and although she still has a bad upper respitory infection, her lungs are clear. She also checked her ears again and said there is a lot less puss in them than on Monday. So we have a prescription for another 2 weeks of Sulfatrim, and some more Cisapride. We also have another appointment for next Thursday.

I asked if it was possible that it was an abcess on her liver. She said it was unlikely, as they can usually tell by the density of the shadow on the x-ray. However, she said if the pasteurella continues to improve they may take another x-ray and see if it has reduced, or any other changes.

I know if it is a tumour then options are limited. But Pernod is looking so much happier than on Monday (when I thought she may not see the day out), that as long as she isn't suffering I will do all I can for her. Tracy (Flashy) has been a great inspiration as she is going through similar with Sweep.

As for today, Stan brought me back from the vet. He also brought a lot of dandelions, which Pernod and Shadow fought over. Also, he gave us some Oxbow Orchard hay, and Pernod ate some - the first hay she has touched in a week :). I am so grateful to him.

And yes, Shadow returned to Pernod's side yesterday :). There friendship is now back to normal (well, nearly). I know we are still in a lot of trouble, but with all your good wishes and prayers, we are fighting.

Thank you :hug:

Jan

Yes, Stan is a true gentleman. And he's even offered to give us a lift next Thursday, if John's shifts don't allow him to take us.

I will definately snuggle Pernod for you - she is being quite affectionate these days :)

Jan

It's so important that Pernod started eating again. It's also good that the antibiotics work, so I believe that at the end of the further 2-week treatment all the pastereulla sumptoms will be under control. When Pernod gets well from it, I think a second x-ray + a second medical opinion would be worth it.

Keep us posted on her progress.
Marietta

Oh Jan, Im so happy to hear Pernod is perking up a bit. Ive been thinking of you guys all week and hoping she was doing ok.

Please give her a little nose pat from me.

And Stan, I cant tell you much it warms my heart to know how you have been there for Jan and Pernod during this difficult time. We've all always known what a special person you are and it really shows by how selflessly you have helped our dear friends. I think I speak for all of us here when I say "thank you" for just being you :hug:

Sending lots of hugs and prayers from me and my warren :hug1

Haley

I am pretty sure the cause of all of it is stress from moving. :hiding:I have been reading a lot of rabbit books and this is definatly the case. but give her a while to get use to her new suroundings. :lookaroundAlso snuggle and comfort her so she knows your still their. this will make her feel better. Hope this helped!

[align=center]Madeline:bunnydance:[/align]

It was so nice to see Pernod feeling a little better.Shewas active and actually eating some dandelions and Orchard grass when I saw her on Thursday. A week before, she was not eating or moving around. But she is a fighter, and poor Jan is spending all her time with the bunnies (it is difficult to get around without a car where she lives).Pernod's weight has stabilized and remains around 1.92 Kg (4.5 lbs). I didn't pick her up, but was able to give her nose rubs. I am glad Dr. Goble has taken Pernod under her care and following up onPernod's progress.

These pictures were taken on Thursday (May15).

nbxli9.jpg

Pernod is on the scale as we checked for her weight. She was more aware of her surroundings than a week ago.

11twok4.jpg

2uielxd.jpg

Here she is fighting off Shadow for the dandelions. Sometimes Shadow would grab a piece out of Pernods mouth. :D

Latest posts

Back