RESCUE: Chicago Heights, IL

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
My sister, who also owns a bun, called me today to send me this story:

"Rabbits rescued from Iroquois County farm"

"One hundred seventy-six rabbits have been seized from a farm inIroquois County and their owner could face charges. The South SuburbanHumane Society is caring for the rabbits now.

The owner has a farm in Watseka and was apparently breeding the rabbitsfor animal shows. Most have upper respiratory infections. Others havemore serious health problems. They all will need a lot of care.
While the owner is financially responsible, the humane society doesn't expect to collect.
"By the time we get through a court case with these folks, and manytimes it never, we never actually receive the judgment in the long runbecause many times those folks just don't have any money," said StacyGaskins of the South Suburban Humane Society.
For more information: http://www.sshspets.org/ "

Source:http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5065781

Please visit the site listed and help these bunnies! I'm going to calland at least try to foster one (I don't have any more room for bunnies,but temporarily I may be able to)
My sis said they showed them on the news and that some of them are little babies! Poor things! :(

i tried to find more information on the website. . .but can't. . .

someone, help. . .

I couldn't find the info either. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet?

That's a huge confiscation. Any idea of some of the arearabbit rescues are taking any in? I'm guessing they have towait till the court case is over though.

I heard about this through bunderground. Red Door Rescue is taking in as many as they can, but really need foster homes.

Apparantly, the area where they were taken from was indescribable. Deadbodies strewn about in burn piles. I hope this person rots forneglecting these bunnies.

I think its great if you can foster even one Lalena. Keep us posted

the girl i am moving out with is thinking aboutgetting a rabbit. . . since the one she has isn't allowed to leave herparents house (her mom is extremely attached to the thing, and doesn'twant to give 'little louie'- the 10 pound monster- up to anyone). . .

she is thinking that it is no fair that i am the one with the pets . ..so she is considering a little female. . .she wants a mini rex. . .iwould be interested to know what breed they are and what all they have.. . it might be worth passing the info on to her. . .

Sorry that they haven't updated the website yet guys.

My sis said that on the news there were all SORTS of breeds. She saidthere was one that looks exactly like my Drizzle (and if it's a girl, Ithink I might have to keep her :eek:)...but my husband would protest). ButI am going to call on Monday and see about fostering one.

The shelter is located in Chicago Heights, a southwest suburb ofChicago. There are a lot of shelters around here: PAWS, Animal WelfareLeague, The Red Door Shelter, HRS Chicago. Hopefully I canget some more info from them on Monday (since they are closed onSundays) and we can help these poor little guys. I will most definitelykeep you guys posted!

please keep us updated!

like i said, i would love to pass the information to my roommate. . .

So far, 4 are listed on there (they could be from before the 176, but I'm not sure):

1) FooFoo (young, male, American)

2) Gismo (Young, female, Dutch)

3) Missy (Young, female, Dwarf)

4) Roxie (Adult, Female, Dwarf)

Those are listed on Petfinder for theSouthSuburban Humane Society in
Chicago Heights, IL . I'll see where else the buns will be placed at other shelters.

BTW, if you foster a rabbit, does the shelter help cover costs formedical care? It seems that most of these guys are sick (which would bemy only qualm about having them around here w/ my guys depending uponwhat they had) but it can get very expensive as well. What an awfulsituation for these little guys. I'm going to see if the newspaper Iwork for will investigate this more, as we write about the SouthSuburbs.

Also, I convinced them to write a section for the April 5th issue aboutnot buying rabbits for Easter. They are going to interview me andsomeone from AWL. Drizzle and Latte might even get in the paper! :)

Usually if you foster the rescue will pay for any medical care.

Im wondering if any are going to actually be up for adoption though.The email I got said something about how they have to be held untilafter the trial? Im not sure though. There was a link to a fox newsarticle but its coming up as blank.

OMG! Those poor rabbits, they're so sick and he's not doing anything! :cry4:

Not to mention that I bet the ammonia is doing a lot of damage too. I'm so glad they're getting them out of there.

What a nasty, disgusting man. How horrible!

Poor little things.. That man should be thrown in jail! How is hesupposed to care for his rabbits when he can't even afford electricity!

Disgusting.:growl:

Keep us updated if anything happens!

I just watched to full, unedited 20 minuteinterview with him. He seems to know a lot about rabbits and he saysthere his 'buddies' but then why have them living in those conditions?

The unedited video is in the same link I gave you but click on thevideo in the sidebar, related items, video (and there is a photo of theguy). The interview is a lot longer and shows a lot more.

BTW, in the new video katt, he does mention mini rexes, holland lops,netherland dwarfs, and satins but there are also a ton more breed wise.

okay, well, i am going to talk for him in a couple points, but for the most part counter what i say:

first, the barn is a mess, but i have been to many rabbit barns duringthe winter, of highly recognized breeders and seen just this kind of'mess' the poop on the floor really isn't 3 month buildup (although itlooks like a month, and that in my opinion is to farinbetween cleanings, it should happen every 2 weeks)

it does appear that many of the rabbits are healthy, BUT the fact thathe has ill rabbits mixed in with the rabbits he brings to the shows andsells purely scares me. the fact that he sells rabbits that may havebeen housed next to a rabbit that is that ill is a major concern.

personally if he can't afford electricity, then it is time to cut the heard back or sell out.

i think he really does love his rabbits, but i think he is over hishead. i think that the rabbits need to be taken away for the most part.i think he should be allowed to have a few a pets (i mean like 2 maybe3), but he needs to rehome some of them, the majority of them in fact.he needs to take the money that he spends on feed and everything andclean his place up and get back on his feet.

but let me tell you, those BEW hollands, how cute. . .

he sells them at rabbit shows, as pets, to 4-hkids, and to fellow breeders. in the uncut interview he names one ofthe breeders he sells to, and she is rather well known. . .

katt wrote:
okay, well, i am going to talk for him in a couple points,but for the most part counter what i say:

first, the barn is a mess, but i have been to many rabbit barns duringthe winter, of highly recognized breeders and seen just this kind of'mess' the poop on the floor really isn't 3 month buildup (although itlooks like a month, and that in my opinion is to farinbetween cleanings, it should happen every 2 weeks)
I was thinking that too katt! I watched the vid w/ my husband and saidthat is about 1 month of poop. I mean, after having 2 of varyingsizes...I realized the bigger one poops A LOT more. If you let it sitfor that long, it REALLY adds up. But yes, every 2 weeks it should becleaned (hell I clean my guys cages and litter every 4-7 days!)

it does appear that many of the rabbits are healthy, BUT thefact that he has ill rabbits mixed in with the rabbits he brings to theshows and sells purely scares me. the fact that he sells rabbits thatmay have been housed next to a rabbit that is that ill is a majorconcern.
True, many of them looked rather spunky and healthy, but yes the factthat they're next to buns w/ pasturella, especially older and babies,it concerns me. If they were quarantined, that might be a differentstory. He showed that he was giving them Pen G injections for thechronic sniffles, which is good. However, he said that those rabbit'sconditions just happen like that (ie: the crusting on the eyes and onthe nose so bad where they can't breathe). I don't think it crusts upthat easily that fast unless you are not cleaning them off a lot whilethey are getting treated.

My other concern, you could see his breath in the barn because it wascold. And now with no electricity, I wonder how they'll stay warm?

i think he really does love his rabbits, but i think he is overhis head. i think that the rabbits need to be taken away for the mostpart. i think he should be allowed to have a few a pets (i mean like 2maybe 3), but he needs to rehome some of them, the majority of them infact. he needs to take the money that he spends on feed and everythingand clean his place up and get back on his feet.

I think he does too. He was getting emotional talking about them. Theyare really all he has. And I must say, the fact that he says he playswith them is evident by the fact that they all come up to him when theyare in the cages and want to be petted and not scared of him. That's anice thing to see. Most of the ones at my shelter shy from humancontact all together. I'm also surprised to see someone give upelectricity to buy his buns food and have to go to a friends housemiles awayto get gallons of cold, fresh water for them. Icould see many heartless people opting for electricity and letting somestarve. But yes, he's in a mess. The buns are in a mess. He needs togive some up. I it seems like he probably would have sold a lot aroundEaster (even though I'm against that) but he was probably going to slowdown after that. I think he should be able to keep a few (the ones hesays are his 'buddies') as indoor pets. They should have a deal wherehe can take 4 of them, but only after they are neutered/spayed by theshelter, so he doesn't get into a mess like this again.

I just hope most of the rabbits to go loving, indoor homes. What a crazy, messy situation for the buns.

Psst...don't tell my husband but I want one of them ;)There'sone that looks EXACTLY like Drizzle. If it's a girl....I just mighthave to sneak her home.

I tried to call SSHS and get info on the buns,but they must be very busy! I could only imagine to chaos that is 176rabbits!:shock:

If anyone would like to try to see if they are going to need fosters,their number is 708-755-7387 and their fax number is 708-755-7732.

I'm at work so I can't talk or wait on the line for long.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back