Rejecting litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aelfb

Reaction score
My new momma bunny is making me crazy. She used her litter box for the longest time and has suddenly rejected it with pregnancy/new motherhood. She pees and poops on the hard plastic bottom of the cage even if there is fresh material in her litter box. She only pees and poops in that corner... Help!??!!

Can you move the litter box to where she is now wanting to pee? Changes in litter box habits and unexplained peeing accidents, can also sometimes be related to a health problem, like a UTI or bladder sludge, especially if she is leaking urine and/or it is getting her bottom wet.

How long ago did she have her babies, and has it been occurring since then?

She had her babies on Saturday- almost a week ago now. I always put the clean litter box back where she pees, but she moves it out of the way. She has been somewhat matted a bit on her bottom...

If she is getting urine stained fur and you keep litter box conditions clean, then I would suspect a health problem may be causing the loss of litter habits. UTI, bladder sludge, arthritis, e. cuniculi, cancer, and kidney issues are some possible causes.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

If it isn't due to a health problem, then has anything changed in her environment besides the new babies? New cage, new litter, change of area, new smells, different people around? Changes in a rabbits environment can sometimes lead to territorial marking. If she is moving the litter box and peeing where it would be, can you clip it to the side of the cage so she can't move it? Is she possibly trying to pee in the litter box but it is going over the edge?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back