Rehoming a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydda

Reaction score
May 5th, 2023 a man in our neighborhood found Rabbit by the road (uninjured). The woman I babysit for volunteered to take it if no one claimed it. We believe she was an Easter gift that someone gave up on and released. After 2 days with the family, her oldest son showed signs of being severely allergic to Rabbit. So, I took it in with the intention if finding it a permanent home.

She does not like dogs at all, but tolerates being (gently) swatted at by a cat, will even play with them. We consider her a cat, she likes to climb, play in cat tunnels, and play with the cat toys. She will come jump on the couch to sit next to you and can hop up and down the stairs like a natural. She gets along with children and has yet to bit (unless she doesn't like your pants...). She's a very brave rabbit, doesn't even get scared around a vacuum.

A rabbit has never been in my plans and fostering one now doesn't change my mind. I will be rehoming her to someone without dogs and preferably other rabbits. She will come with toys, food bowls and any of her greens, pellets and hay we have left over. $100 rehoming fee to cover what we have already spent on her. I live about an hour away from Chicago in Oswego.

Attachments

• 20230518_210138.jpg
    20230518_210138.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 1
there are some rescues in IL that i found that take rabbits, an idea would be to foster the rabbit until she finds a home.
you could post her on Petfinder and in rehoming facebook groups
good luck :)

Hello @sydda , This New Zealand White discarded gal is lucky you are doing your best to find her the appropriate forever home. Hopefully she can be spayed, and checked for microchip.

In most cases, humans are irresponsible (and cruel) and abandon their pets without considering how to surrender them to a reputable rescue or shelter. I have collaborated with an animal control officer who lives further south of Chicago. I will touch base with her asap as she has had contact with responsible rescues in your area.

Have you contacted Moon Dog Farm, do they have openings or an available foster home?

Red Door Shelter in Chicago may have a wait list.

The above suggestions will spay/neuter and RHVD2 vax before finding an adopter.

This lady is fortunate she was not killed by a predator before collaborating Rescue-Minded Humans could get her to safety.

@sydda Thank you for requesting a rehoming fee if someone contacts you. Without meticulous screening, rabbits can transition to malicious individuals. Thank you to all who collaborated.

I express gratitude for the funds invested already. Education classes are likewise beneficial for novice rabbit parents, and she is already enjoying the playshift time you are providing (as described), and the toys, et al. As a sanctuary for special needs' (in past years that included strays and unwanteds), our wallet goes thru thousands of dollars in expenditures and DVM care each year

It is important humans understand that rabbits are a sentient being, just like a dog or cat, and not like a pet rock or stuffed animal.

p..s. She so reiminds me of the stray NZW female (we named Marietta) that hubby captured in 2006, and another ruby-eyed NZW spayed girl we adopted from local shelter after Mari passed away. Shortly after hubby captured her, she gave birth to nine. Mari could have been a discarded Easter bun, also.

Back