REHOME: Two buns in need of a Good Home! (near Chicago)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattrav

Reaction score
Please Help! Maverick (Mavie) and Goose are two very special bunnies that are in need of a good home. Mavie and Goose are a few years old and have lived with me for the last few years. Due to unexpected financial hardship, I am very worried about their immediate future!

My Story: I live in an apartment with my boyfriend, two bunnies and two cats. Both of us have been unable to find a full time job that pays enough to cover the bills. At almost 30 years old, my boyfriend and I may have to give up our apartment and each move back in with our parents who each also happen to have an unemployed spouse. The situation in embarrassing, frustrating and scary. On top of possibly losing everything we own, our rabbits have nowhere to go. Neither family is able to take the bunnies into their homes. My family already houses two dogs and a cat and have but one small bedroom for me to occupy. They will do everything they can to help me but cannot take the rabbits in. My boyfriend’s parents may be able to take the cats since they have no other pets but also cannot take the buns in.

Mavie and Goose: Maverick and Goose are like children to me and I love them very much. This is why I need help finding them a suitable home. They are used to having a sectioned off space of the house, meaning they are somewhat free-range bunnies. I would like to find a home that would give them the same freedom and lifestyle.

I would prefer to find someone who has experience with rabbits because Mavie has special needs and needs to be carefully looked after. In the past she suffered a severe infection and almost died. She has made a full recovery but is now mostly deaf. She also suffers from urine sludge if she consumes too much calcium. If she is cared for properly, her condition stays under control although stress can often set her back. She shouldn’t need additional veterinary care unless she experiences a setback due to stress or diet change. I would expect a caregiver to be willing to provide her with the care she needs in the event she does have to visit a vet as well as feed her the necessary diet to avoid furthering her problem.

Mavie and Goose love each other dearly cannot be separated. Mavie is content with her boyfriend Goose and cannot be placed in the same area (cage) with other rabbits. She becomes very aggressive if introduced to new rabbits, which causes her stress which can be dangerous for her. Again she is mostly deaf and has little means to protect herself.

When it comes to people neither Mavie nor Goose have ever bitten anyone! They are shy but very very sweet. I love them with all my hart and cannot imagine sending them to a shelter or giving them to a owner who won’t respect my wishes for them. I feel a lot of people cage rabbits in spaces that are WAY too small for them.

I know my list of demands sounds extreme but I believe anyone would do the same for their precious buns. If you or anyone you know may be able to help me find my sweet Mavie and Goose a home, I would be forever grateful as would Mav and Goose!

I would be willing to discuss any question or concerns you may have. I will have all vet records sent to a vet of your choice. Please Please, help me find a home for my babies before its too late! Thank You so much! Katie Travis (773) 458-5614 – McHenry IL. NW suburbs outside Chicago

i am sorry for all of ur problems but that is too far away and i live in wisconsin, so sorry:tears2:

I wish I knew this yesterday I drove right through McHenry..2 times, I could have done transportation to someone for you.

Good luck and I am sorry for what u r going thru

Katie, I am the owner of No Splitting Hares Rabbit Rescue in Algonquin, IL and would love to help you out. If you are forced to more, I would like to house your bunnies at my rescue (upstairs so no one tries to adopt them) and charge you nothing for boarding if your able to volunteer at my rescue. Cleaning cages, filling water bottles, feeding etc. lets talk. I have 3 other bunnies in this same situation and giving them up IS NOT A REQUIREMENT. LISA

This should probably be in the Rescue section. You would get more responses. Hopefully a mod will move it. It sounds like you really care about your babies and I don't blame you for having a list of demands. I hope you are able to find a good home for them.

If you're putting this much care into finding them homes, and your situation may be temporary, I'd try for temp foster homes and see how that goes. A lot of people won't commit to a pet long term but will gladly take them on short term.

If its longer than shorter, a series of several homes may be the ticket. Moving them around may not be optimal, but you can still retain ownership and watch over them closely.

I'd give that a shot.

You will have to convince some people you're not going to abandon them, that's the biggest fear of people willing to take on foster bunnies from a non-rescue situation.

I've moved this to the Rescue section.

Good luck!

sas :clover:

Any updates?

How soon would you need to foster/rehome them?

We had duplicate Rescue threads going on... ;)
Lisa at No Splitting Hares has offered to take these buns on.
(gbread, please see post 4 above)

Thanks everyone! I will try and get ahold of Lisa (gbread) to see if I can set something up. At this moment we are still in our place for this month. My problem is that I dont know what is going to happen when. We are both searching for jobs but it hasnt gone very well yet. I may find a job tomorrow and not have to move. I just want to get something set up ahead of time so that a plan is in place if we do have to leave suddenly. Thanks so much for your suggestions and thoughts!

Latest posts

Back