Rehome in Hamilton

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
A friend has a rabbit that she is really struggling with and thinks that he might be better off in a one-bun home or one where people are able to spend the time to work with him.

Oliver is a 2 year old lionhead angora cross. He is neutered. Oliver's problem is that he was a classroom bunny for the first year of his life before my friend got him and he lived in his cage pretty much 24/7. We have tried working with him but he still is cage bound and a bit nippy (but not dangerous).

I do not have time to take him on myself and my friend is moving (from a house to an apt) and hasn't seen enough progress with him that she thinks he will be able to live in an apartment with her other bun and ferrets.

I will try to get some pictures of Oliver posted soon but just imagine a white ball of fluff! He will come with his cage, litter box and some food.

He is definitely being cage protective. Is is possible to set up an exercise pen for him to use? I also wonder how he was treated in the classroom. He may have handled roughly and had kids poking at him all the time.

I'm not sure where the other bun comes into it? Is it that he's not getting along with the other rabbit or just not getting along with the human? Has she tried bonding them and failed? Or she just doesn't want to try because Oliver is cage aggressive?

I didn't think cage aggressive boys were any harder to bond, but I've never tried. A bonded rabbit may well be happier and more sociable.

What is his cage like? The usual problem is just with the 'hand' issue, so a pen or devising ways for the rabbit to come out of his 'sanctuary' zone on his own steam and handing him tiny treats should help gain trust over time.

My least sociable rabbit, Darry, never tolerated hands much (until recently), either dodging or charging, but she had no problem with 'nuzzling'. I can easily approach her face first. Although it takes a brave bunny slave to test out the theory. ;)

If Oliver was closer I wouldn't mind taking him for a bit of rehab. Hopefully a rescuer closer can take up the challenge. If he's 'cute', he's ultimately adoptable with a few attitude adjustments -- his and/or his new guardians'.

sas

Is she still interested in keeping Oliver if his cage issues are dealt with?

I live in Guelph...so I am close enough to helpout...I am defNOT a rescue...butTony and Ihave had success with aggressive/unsocialized bunns. Generally when we take in bunns they are either special care, palliative or aggressive since those are the ones least likely to be adopted.

I have 10 bunns now and two cottontails...so another bunn is not in the cards for me...hubby will make me live in the garage! ;)...but I would be willing to take him on a temp basis to work with him if she was interested.

Just a thought...:)

Danielle:)

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses and my apologies for not responding sooner, I have had some other things going on this week.
Thanks for the tips. She is working with him but still hoping to find him a home because she does not see any progress. We *might* have found a home for him but I will also message your offer to help rehab him Danielle (thanks so much for the offer you are very generous). She just suggested a one bun home so that we could have someone with the time to put into him.

I will speak with her tonight and update everyone.

Latest posts

Back