Raising Rabbits the Disgusting Way

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trixybunny

Reaction score
So in my quest to find more information aboutrabbits, I renewed my library card that had been expired since may oflast year and checked out books on rabbits. I came across abook called Raising Rabbits the Modern Way. I thoughtit sounded pretty good, but all it talked about was breeding rabbitsway to often and expecting them to not be able to breed by the age of 2if you breed them often enough and how to get them big enough to eatand which rabbits taste the best! It is saying that all theyneed is a strictly wire cage, food, and water! It even gaverecipes! I can't believe somone would actually write that!

Trixy : Rabbits were nevermeant to be pets , especially back whenthat book was written , Backwhen He wrote that Book Rabbits werea Food Item , just ascows , pigs , chickens etc , Itsonly now in a (Modern Age) these samefood critters are being made into Pets .Humans are the only Species who play withthier food .

Once you understand this the reading isa bit easier, There are other Books out there , Hadyou read the Preface before checkingit out You could have savedYourself this thread .

Bob Bennett is a highly respected rabbit breederwith many years of experience. His book has been a wonderfulhelp to many breeders starting out in raising rabbits.

Gypsy: Humans aren't the only species who play with their food:)

Pam

I have gotten books like that too on accident.

Even books like that have very useful information in them.Read them in whatever "frame-of-mind" you want, take what's useful andforget the rest. Meat Breeders have a lot more experiencethan most of us will ever have. They see, handle, raise andcare for more rabbits in a year than most of us will in alifetime. Mr. Bennett is a very respected and eduacted sourceof Rabbit information.

I am sure he is very well respected, but how canyou actually truly care for something you are just planning oneating? I guess it was more of a shocker to me thananything. I did read the back cover before I checked it outand it didn't say anything about recipes for cooking rabbits.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't think I would.

pamnock wrote:
BobBennett is a highly respected rabbit breeder with many years ofexperience. His book has been a wonderful help to manybreeders starting out in raising rabbits.

Pam
Your right Pam Itotally forgot there are many other speciesthat do just that.

Trixy I am not offended but you have torealize meat is meat no matter where it comes from, Alot of people use manyanimals whether they care for them or not as a fooditem . You still tend a gardenyou nurture it , you love it you watchthe plants grow , yet you still go out and pick thefruit of that nurturing . Its not leftthere to rot , not the samething , yes it is .people have to have food toflourish , humans are omnivours , it really doesntmatter where it comes from aslong as lifeis sustained .

have you guys ever seen a siteabouta site that is about how a guy said he found a coldwet rabbit that was injured and nursed it back to health. then he saidif he doesnt get 15,000 or 50,000 (i forget which) he will eattehrabbit but it wont be illegal since he'll get it to a butcher!

this is HORRIBLE! i wish i can like, arrest him orsomthing. is it true that this would be legal!:sad::tears2::growl::bigtears:

hey, i just decided to edit this post because it think its fake, hechanged the date to when hes going to , well , kill the rabbit:(:mad:.i think he just wants money, i alaso took down the link cuz ithought it might be to bad for some people to see (young, even thothere are no graphic images) if you want to see it just PM me, but itell you about it not to look but to see if there is anything i can doto stop it!

ITS A SCAM!!!!been brought up many times anddismissed as a block head who knowsbetter but decided to make somemoney off peoples good generosity , fallfor it and be scammed.

midnight, false sites like that crop up all thetime...usually someone trying to extort people out of money by playingon their sympathies. Ignoring it is the best thing you can do (andreport it if you can).

About the topic, I agree, Bob Bennett put out a wonderful book with agreat deal of information on how to raise rabbits. I had a copy of itmany years ago (long since gone from my shelves now), and the firsttime I read through it, the sections on slaughtering meat rabbitsshocked (and sickened) me. However, some breeds of rabbits (Cals, NZs,d'Argents, etc.)are still used as meat animals, so I mustrespect any person's right to raise animals for meat. Personally, Icould not go anywhere near an operation that has meat rabbitsspecifically for that purpose; it would upset me far too much..it wouldhaunt me. However, I do respect that person's right to raise rabbits asmeat, so long as the animals are not suffering, neglected in any way,and slaughter is as humane as possible.

If I remember correctly, an old copy I have of the ARBA Handbook has asection on how to humanely kill and dress meat rabbits as well...

gypsy wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Bob Bennett isa highly respected rabbit breeder with many years ofexperience. His book has been a wonderful help to manybreeders starting out in raising rabbits.

Pam
Your right Pam Itotally forgot there are many other speciesthat do just that.

Trixy I am not offended but you have torealize meat is meat no matter where it comes from, Alot of people use manyanimals whether they care for them or not as a fooditem . You still tend a gardenyou nurture it , you love it you watchthe plants grow , yet you still go out and pick thefruit of that nurturing . Its notleft there to rot , not thesame thing , yes it is .people have to have food toflourish , humans are omnivours , it really doesntmatter where it comes from aslong as lifeis sustained .
Yep, and I just went out and picked a bunch of tomatos of the plantI've been singing to and pruning by hand for months. I alsohave some chicken eggs I will cook up and eat from my hand-raised'girls' - another fruit of labor and care.

Also, people view animals kept for purposes other than as petsdifferently than petowners - they don't get as attached.Hunters raising top-quaility hunting dogs can buy/sell/trade their dogsas needed to keep good breeding stock. Yet, these samehunters that don't view their dogs as 'pets' will also gooutof their way to make sure that those dogs are cared for inthe best way possible - best food diets, medical care, housing,grooming.

Excellent hunting dogs around here can go for almost $8,000.Pretty high considering the average houshold income inthiscounty is approximately $15,000/year.

Latest posts

Back