RaE Bunnie's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weetwoo_89

Reaction score
So it is 11:11 p.m. And I am wondering if I willget booted from the forums because for some months in the near future Iwill not have a bunnie. I am thinking about hitting the haysoon. Getting tired. Totally avoided doing my homework. My dad didn'tshow up. Sat in front of the computer all day studyingrabbits, degus, chinchillas, and fennec foxes. Daydreamingabout getting bunnies, getting cages, doing the shopping, playing withlittle furry things. Caleb has pointed out to me several times todaythat I won't be getting rabbits for some time. Whenever he says that Ijust say "Bunnie" my my 'cute' stubborn way (he says its cute, not me).I have been thinking that I want small bunnies because I am not goingto have much room and I also think it would be nice to have itty bittybunnies. I was thinking of getting a Netherland Dwarf and/or a Mini Lop(maybe one of both). I think two are a good idea because of collegeclasses during the day. It is time to go to bed. Have to wake up earlytomorrow for another day of homeowork avoidence, until tomorrow nightwhere I will curse myself for not doing it earlier. Sweet bunnie dreamsto you all.
<3,
RaeBun

3/12/07

I don't know if I should post all my blogie stuff in onepost or not. I feel like a dork but I am already drawing up plans for awonderful cage for these bunnies I don't have. I have a few brillintideas that hopefully won't cost much (I even got some ideas for thecages seen on this site.) Hopefully I will have a design to show soon.I am so excited!! *does a happy dance.)
I have been thinking about breeding. Not for money, but forhobby and to provide some people with whatever I would breed.I wouldn't breed many, and only for the pleasure of doing it. I dunnohow I feel about it though. I wouldn't do it right away, but you knowthinking towards the future. If I did breed it would probably only beexotics because there are too many good animals sitting at shelterswondering what they did wrong to end up there.
My boyfriend says I am obsessed, but I just want to makesure that I know and have everything ready. Maybe I am weird.

You won't get booted, you'll just get excitedabout everybody else's bunny moments. Personally, if I wereyou, I wouldn't get into breeding. I mean, you'll be startingcollege, and you won't know how much time you'll have.Breeding takes time and it's expensive.

Why don't you check your local shelter(s)? Both of my bunnieswere shelter bunnies, and look how great they turned out.

Well, if I ever did breed it would be in thefuture, after I have gathered much bunny knowledge ( and money to takecare of them all or all the ones no body wants.) I am excited, I havedrawn out one of the main ideas I have for a cage. It isgoing to be 3 nic cubes tall and 2 wide. I think I even got this ideafrom someone elses nic cage (I feel bad for not remembering who's cageit is, I hope they don't care that I borrowed their cage idea though.^.^) I do want shelter bunnies, but I would be much happier if nobunnies were in the shelter and they were all in good homes. But thatwill probably not be the case...Hmmm.

I HAVE GOT HIM NOW!!!!!! 3/14/07 9:37 P.M. !!!!!!111!1!1111

For the past however long I have been talking about gettinga/(some?) bunny(s), my boyfriend has only had a lukewarm reactions like"If you want to..." or some response about how they might be stinky,mean, skitterish, messy, or other such things (He isn't really apessimist, he just tries to make sure I see all the angles because I aman optimist and have been excited and crazy-happy for a while.) Anywho,today I was on and looking through the breeder pages (you know, thedifferent species pages, right? If not go there now. Totally cool) andhe saw the Holland Lops and actually said "Awww. Those are so cute. Ilove the floppy ears. Are you going to get some like that?" (Actuallythat bit was spilt up in converstation like him="What are those?" Me="Holland lops, why?" Him= "Because they are adorable." Or somethinglike that, you get the general idea.) Now he is excited about thebunnies because he loves the idea of tiny floppy eared bunnies. Whichis good, because these babbies would be living with us both, so if hedidn't like them I would be must sad. I now have him though, he is nottotally a cat person *feels triuphant*
In other news, it is almost spring break. Just next week.And one of my friends is getting me some info on a no-kill shelter. Hermom has some connections and might be able to help get me a job there,if they hire part time. If they don't then I may just volunteer some,but it would be nice to get a job. Job=money, and even though I hatethey idea of giving up my free time but being broke is also something Ihate...Decisions decisions....Hmmm
So all in all, pretty good day (except in art, I am sofrustrated with the throwing wheel right now and my hands are all cutopen from the rough stuff like sand particles and stuff in the clay.Not cool, but...) I hope everyone else had a good day. <3 RaeBun

Yeah the boyfriend, no buns yet(sadly) but the fact that the boyfriend likes the lops meansgood things. I would like to say that means I get them sooner, butreally the only way I get them sooner is if I move out sooner and getsettled into the house I will be living in during college.

Does that mean you already know where you'll begoing? Ugh. I've got a meeting with my collegecounselor tomorrow. College is scary.

Collge is very scary, but I do have a generalplan. I am going to go to a community college for my first two years(maybe three) then transfer over to a state university for the otherclasses. This gives me a few advantages:
1. There is a lower student-teacher ratio. (Meaning when I get confused someone might be able to help me.)
2. It is cheaper (Which is helpful for people how don't have alot, like me! ^.^)
3. It is closer.
And finally
4. I will feel like it will give me more time to decide what I am goingto do when I grow up(Yeah right, like I would grow up!) (I don't thinkit really does, but I am trying to delude myself about it becausecollege scares the crap out of me...)

I don't know exactly where I will be living. There are a fewoptions. It depends on if I stay with my boyfriend (His dad is in realestate and they already have a couple of houses he could stay at) or ifwe don't stay in one of the houses or we break up then I will be in anapartment close by. Nothing set in stone yet, just that I know I amgoing to move out in December this year because I want to graduateearly (and I have all the credits) and I will also turn 18 in Dec. I amready to get out in the world...most of the time. :? But try not toworry (even though if you are like me, you will anyways). Supposedly,most people don't know what they want to do til their second year ofcollege...

I wonder if anyone is going to be mad?

I am going this afternoon to see if I can get a job at...apet store *thunder in the background*. But this pet store has adoptioncenters from the local shelters. (I wanted to work at the sheltersaround here, but my parents aren't hospitable about a 30 minute driveone way. And I am not allowed to get my license until I get a job. Itis a vicious cycle....>.>) I don't know for sure if I am.Depends on the answers to some of my questions. I am leaving soon, butI will tell you guys more when I get back.

<3,
RaE

Honestly, I think it's great that you're goingto work in a pet store. That's a way for you to share yourknowledge with the world.

I already know what I want to do. I've wanted to be aveterinarian since I was like 4. If all goes well, I'll begoing to a pre-vet program at Cornell this summer. -fingerscrossed-

Missy, I have always wanted to be avet since I was little but I don't think I could do surgery or put ananimal to sleep. It makes me sad because I want to work with animalsright now but since I am still underage I can work at a pet store andtry to teach people about animals they buy, or a shelter, and the onlyshelters around me want volunteers, which I would love to do, but Idon't know. So about the job, I turned in an application. They saidthey would get back to me some time this week. Don't know what thatmeans. Maybe it is good. More to be said later, right now myboyfriend is working on my computer. ^.^

<3,
RaE

So I am back. About the job, I hopethey don't call my references as one of them told me I would have towait and see if I could use them. Which is stupid because she said shewould give me a reference first and now she said I have to wait, so ifthey call her before I can get back to the store Tues. and tell her shewent out of town or something and I will give them a different ref.*pulls hair out* I have been worried about it since I talked to her.
I have drawn up a few nic cages. My boyfriend still thinks Iam way over excited (But I can see he is starting to get the bunnyitch. Whahahaha!!! *evil laugh* *cough* *choke* *gasp* *pitifulwheeze*) I am going to make my first attempt to upload anything to theforum, for all one of you who come here. That is okay though, as Idon't know how much a bunny blog could be interesting without thebunnie. :colors:

If all goes as planned, below this will be some choppy (at best) ideas drawn out in 5 minutes with paint.

Ideas-1.jpg

Yay, it worked...I wonder if it looks qiant.... I would makeit smaller but it makes the measurements hard to see....If it isbothersome then let me know. Just wanted to get this out there, maybesome feedback. Or not but you know...
<3,
RaE

Looks impressive.

I volunteer at our animal shelter. I really loveit. Not to mention it makes a great essay on collegeapp's. :)

Good luck with the whole job thing.

So my plan is to go in tomorrow andtell the manager that I was unaware that one of my references will beout of town and that I will gladly provide them with another if theymust call three. It is also a chance for me to show how much I want thestupid job (Not really, but it is a necisary (I am not signing up for ajob that requires me to be literate so don't worrry about my terriblespelling...:humour: )

Wish me luck. I hope it works. *crosses fingers*

<3,
RaE

P.S. I would love to work a shelter but my mom doesn't want to drivethe distance and I can't get a car til I have a job and money. Do yousee the vicious cycle now? >.^....

Could I work at a shelter. The onlyone that is really close is a "limited kill". I don't know if I coulddo it. Supposedly if the animal is in good health and temperment theywon't be put down..unless of course there is no room! :X And there areno rescues close enough for me to get a ride to in the near future. Itis most upsetting. There is a no-kill shelter about 30 minutes from myhouse. But how much is that helping. A no-kill won't take animals thatthey don't think will be adopted. Maybe at a kill I could savesomething. But I don't know about playing with an animal one day andthen it being dead the next because there was no room. I don't think Icould do it. I am having major problems....>>

Work? or volunteer? I reallydo love volunteering at the shelter. I know I've made adifference in the lives of the animals I work with. I wouldbe willing to work there as well, but I aspire to be aveterinarian. I don't really want to make a career out ofbeing an ACT, but who knows. I would definately considerbeing a vet in the shelters.

After I read this letter one day, I was like yes, that's it...

Open Letter from a Shelter Worker
I COULD NEVER WORK HERE!
When you say to an animal shelter or humane society employee, "I couldnever do your job, it would break my heart, I love animals too much,"or words to that effect, it sounds like you are saying:
  1. That we don't also love the animals, even though we've taken minimumwage (or no wage) jobs in order to work with homeless animals. For manyof us it is our life's work.
  2. That we, somehow, don't get our hearts broken.
  3. That in order to do this job one has to be either cold hearted or an animal hater.
Your declaration leaves us with some questions. If you can't do this job, who will? Someone must.
When we've euthanized the 500th kitten for the month, because there areno homes available, will you take the 501st? Our hearts are completelytorn out and we just can't kill one more. You already have enough pets?We understand; we do, too. Our cages are over capacity, our fosterhomes are all full. Do you have a solution? If so, please tell us; wehate this part of the job. Right now, at this moment, there is a dog orcat in a shelter employee's arms and there is nowhere on earth for thiscreature to go. There is no cage space, no foster home, no foreverhome. Nowhere. It is a heartbreaking feeling.
There is a really nice yellow lab mix named Jake. He's 3 years old,healthy, housebroken, loves kids, loves everyone! But he can't find ahome because he's quite generic looking, not real flashy and he's notan eight week old puppy ("I want a dog to grow up with the kids").We've had him here for 3 months, but can no longer justify taking upvaluable cage space for a dog that's showing no signs of becomingadopted. What would you do? There are 10 dogs that came in today. Wehave two open runs. Who has to die?
Walking through the kennel, having to choose which ones have no moretime is the worst part. It breaks our hearts. If you know of a way tokeep Jake alive and still be fair to the other animals, please tell us.We've grown so attached -- it's our hearts again you know -- they'rebreaking into a million pieces this time.
Will you talk to the woman who brings in a blind, 10 year oldpeek-a-poo with bad skin and says, "Don't kill her! Find her a goodhome!" Oh puhleeeeeeze. We can't find homes for the healthy1-year-olds; who's going to adopt a 10 year old, unhealthy dog? You?No, not me either. I already have four dogs that were consideredunadoptable. Because we can't get this owner to face reality and allowus to euthanize right away, the dog has to spend her last 24 hours onearth in a holding cage, wondering what happened.
But, we held her as often as we could and tried to comforther...because you can't. It would break your heart. "Wait!" you say."Someone might want her!" It's quite unlikely that there is someone whowants an elderly dog that needs a few hundred dollars worth ofveterinary care, but maybe you're right. Our crystal ball is broken,but if you think she can find a home and you want to save her, pleasego back to the kennel and pick which young, healthy dog has to give upits space here.
OK. You can't work at an animal shelter. Not everyone can. Can you helpin other ways? Can you buy us a bag of food when you buy for your ownpet? Can you come in and talk to the cats? Walk the dogs? We are sobusy running the place that we often don't have time. When you comeback next week we won't tell you the final disposition of your favoriteone if you don't want to know. We are, after all, a compassionate groupand we understand about broken hearts. Could you go to your friend orneighbor and offer to get their pet spayed/neutered? Could you trap oneof those stray cats in your neighborhood and get it vaccinated andneutered? That will be one more free-roaming cat that's out of thereproduction loop.
Maybe you could just send a small check to say "thank you." Anything atall would help. I know you mean well. I know you mean to say, "Icouldn't work here because my own emotions get in the way of doing whathas to be done for the animals; thank you for doing it."

It is really hard downhere. All the shelters are far away. I am going to figure it outthough. I really want to help. Not just animals, but people too. I feellike if people were more educated about their animals thenthere wouldn't be so many in shelters. If people knew that their easterbun would live 10-12 years, maybe they wouldn't buy it. I also thinkthat people are greedy in a way. I don't mean this in a mean way. Butjust think. Surely not many people think that $10 is much money. If yougo out to eat, it might cost you $20, maybe more. Now imagine youpacked your lunch one day you were going to eat at a resturant, andtook that $10 and donated it to a shelter. Now imagine if everyone inyour city did that. Imagine if every person in the U.S. donated evenjust $5 to a charity, or even research for the cure for cancer orsomething. There are tons of places that need the money for a goodcause, and people just order a second helping they don't need/wantwhile there are animals being put to sleep and children dying withcancer or starvation. I think we should start a movement!!!! *strikesheroic pose* Maybe I am just in a mood though, but that ishow I feel. Sorry if anyone is offended.:rant:

<3,
RaE

Do you volunteer at a no-kill Missy? I don't think I ever asked.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I didn't get the job. Theywanted someone who could work any hour the store was open...Ican't. School. Then I also went to a community college nearbyand got very confused by the woman that is supposed to unconfusethings...>.> She basicly told me that I shouldn't try totake a class this summer...Or maybe that wasn't what she was saying. Idon't know. Even my boyfriend's mom (who took me to the college) saidshe was very confused (And she is a very intelligent woman...)

Latest posts

Back