Racoon Attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodger

Reaction score
My rabbits are in an outside protected area, but were attacked by a racoon several days ago. It killed my guinea pigs that were sharing the area and my rabbits were unhurt physically, but appear traumatized. They stay in the middle pretty much unmoving and won't take shelter.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm, maybe you could take them in your house if a little bit and let them calm down inside with you and then maybe think about moving their cage a little closer to your house. How did the racoons get inside the cage? Maybe some-how block that way off. That's all that I can think of right now.

Karlee :)

I'm moving this to the main rabbit forum where more folks will see it...

Peg

Maybe put a blanket over the cage? And I have that question, too: how in the world did a raccoon manage to get into an outdoor hutch? Those things are desgined so these things don't happen! I mean I know that Raccoons are smart, but...

Find out how the raccoon caused this damage ASAP and fix it. I, too, would reccomend moving the hutchagainst the house. Not only will it be warmer for the buns in the winter months, but it's a lot safer, too. I'm torn on what over advice to give. I was going to suggest saving the hutch move until a time when they are less stressed, as not to get thee poor babies too upset, but it might be better to do it all in one fell swoop, like a band-aid. Probably for the better, too. If the Raccoon knows where there's food, he's sure to return.

PS. It's best not to house rabbits and guinea pigs together.

Thanks for the responses.

The rabbits are not in a hutch, it is a converted atrium connected to the house. It is approximately 12' x 12' fenced with a cyclone top. It has housed rabbits for 15 years. We have never had problems with predators, but the racoon got in through a weakness in the cyclone top that has been fixed.

I brought them in immediately after the attack and kept them inside for 5 days. This of course agitated them also as they have never been caged. I am sure the racoon has moved on, butam wondering if there is some type of scent left that is making them nervous.

Poor little piggies, and bunnies! The atrium sounds like a great bunny home, so sorry it was breached, these things happen. :(

This can be pretty serious, I'll have to dig up some files, but that kind of trauma can cause major problems for the rabbits for days after the attack.I believe it triggers body responses that can do harm internally. I'm not sure what you can do about it. Maybe BlueGiants or others having similar experiences may have some suggestions?

Please keep watching this thread.

PS: Can you please put your location in your profile? That may help with pending advice.

EDIT: Just read that it's been five days or more, so obviouslyno immediate danger, but the ongoingnervous reaction is apparently pretty common. I'm sure you'll get great advice from experienced members.

sas :pray:

UGH... this has happened in these parts time and time again.

I actually have 2 elderly New Zealand's who absolutely refused to be housed in the barn, and refused to be caged. They literally go ape crazy.My husband built them a hutch, it is 10 ft long, each rabbit having a 5 ft section, each section 5ft deep, and the whole hutch is prolly close to 7ft tall..

We also have raccoons, possums and armadillos, LARGE ones. The raccoons have actually climbed my bakers rack by my back door and rattled the door knob.

I can honestly say, to my knowledge, the 2 in the hutch have never been disturbed by the raccoons for one simple reason. raccoons don't like light. It is a proven fact they are light sensitive. Hence why they are listed as nocturnal animals. The hutch is actually in between 2 barns. we run an outdoor extension cord to the hutch, and suspend one of those clamp lights to the roof aiming it down toward the buns. We usually put in a 20 watt bulb during the warm months, during the cold months, they get a heat lamp. The clamp lights run around 6 bucks. It provides a measure of security for your buns, the raccoons hate it, and you can see your buns from the house.

As for the skittish buns, I actually have a radio with mine, mine really aren't skittish. They use to be, they would get scared if the wind blew, and if the dogs really barked, they went crazy. Try putting one of the Wal-Mart $10 shower radios with them out of their reach for a spell, the noise will sooth them and they wont be so jumpy from every little noise. They just went through a severely traumatic experience. Nothing soothes ones nerves like a little Mozart. Just tried to avoid any requiem music..LOL

As for your hutch.. I am not knocking you, if that's all you've got, so be it, but security is essential. My rabbits actually have keyed locks on their doors.. you;d be amazed at how intelligent a raccoon is...

We also keep lights on the small pigs until they are too big for the raccoons to get ahold of. I cannot stress ENOUGH of the security measures that need to be taken to keep raccoons at bay.

Zin

I just read your update...

Clorox... and water... 1 part Clorox to 2 parts water.. spray everything down.

If all else fails, use vinegar... Yeah they may just be weirded out by the scent. We have had some turkeys that refused to go back in the coop after a racoon attack, we sprayed it down, lighted it really well and used the radio, seemed to work.

The music also acts as a deterent for the racoons, they seem to think humans are in there.

Zin

Wow...AWESOME advice, Zin!! :D

I'm so sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. (Still having trouble with my eyes.) Keep an eye on the rabbits for at least 2 weeks. Try to establish the same routine they are used to. Make sure they are all eating. Watch for any change in their droppings. (Stress can bring out coccidiosis.) Can you give them a hutch/protected hiding spot in the middle of the atrium? I think the sooner you can clean the pen and get them back out there, the better.

I have also found that leaving a radio on helps keep away opposum and racoons. You can also use motion sensor lights at night. Pretty inexpensive to install and they go on automatically when anything approaches the area. (Also tells you if anything comes near the rabbits.)

I hope the rabbits get over their stress very quickly.

I was re-reading this thread, and saw BlueGiants advice. I agree 100%, but the reason I never used a motion sensor light, I have cats, and dogs, which the rabbits are use to, that trigger the sensor off numerous times, and the rabbits themselves trigger the light off. But like I said, and Blue Giants concurred, Raccoons just don't like light, so I really think if you just scrub the area down, light it, and get a radio in there, the rabbits should be fine..
I say SHOULD BE... I know if I saw all my friends eaten by a masked bandit I would be pretty traumatized as well, but allowing for that... give them awhile to get over the *OMG* factor.

I am sorry for your loss, I know it had to be hard, and to be honest, the few times it has happened to friends of mine, it pretty well ticks me off at the raccoons.
I realize I will prolly get some flack for this, but I have, on numerous occasions, dropped a raccoon dead in their tracks with a trusty semi auto-matic. Raccoons may look cute, but personally, I find them to be one of the scourges of the earth.

Zin

Thanks to all for the great advice, I learned alot!

I cleaned the pen first thing this morning which hopefully removed any remaing scent.My husband and I are installing motion lighting and will put a radio out tomorrow (great idea, I never would have thought of it). I also put a new covered cat litter box (which they like to cuddle in) out in the center of the pen where they seem to be most comfortable.

They seem to be eating ok and I will keep an eye on the droppings for any change.

Thanks for the feedback.

Question for you, why do you recommend not keeping guinea pigs and rabbits together? It was an unplanned accident, but checked with my Vet first and was told it was ok. I really enjoyed the little pigs and may get more this spring.

Bunnies can injure the piggies if they kick them, tho I'm of the opinion that's more of an issue in close quarters... and the food is not compatible, piggies I think need vitamin C and rabbits shouldn't have it?? something like that.

I do know a lot of people who have both including bonded pairs, haven't heard any horror stories, but I've never had both, and haven'tpaid much attention.

I'm saying this asI (not-so-kindly) allowed my cat in my room thinking maybePipp is over her cat-attacking ways,but no such luck! She cornered the cat, held her at bay for awhile looking amazingly mean, thencircled 'round and bit her in the butt.

So maybe Ishouldn't have cats and rabbits? :biggrin2:

sas:bunnydance:

We've had cavies here (taken in as a rescue) and my vet was pretty adamant about keeping them separate.

Keeping Cavies and rabbits togetheris generally not recommended. A guinea-pig's rib-cage is very fragile andI've heard a lot of stories about cavies with fractured ribs or punctured lungs as a result of kicks or amorous attempts from rabbits. If they absolutely must be kept together, you can provide a safe refuge for the cavy within the communal area, that has anentranceonly be big enough to admit him.

The other reason they shouldn't be housed together is different feed requirements. Some rabbit feed contains an additive used to prevent Coccidiosis, but that has a toxic effect on guinea-pigs' liver and kidneys. Guinea pig pellets and other diets for them are fortified withVitamin C that guinea pigs cannot manufacture for themselves. Rabbits and hamsters do not need this supplement. Fed rabbit feed, (orhorsefeed) as themain part of his diet, a guinea pig would quickly become sick with scurvy,a leading causes of death in guinea pigs. If you feed Caviesother diets, it would be vital to supplementwith vitamin C drops on his food or in his water (20-30 mg per day) and to offer him fresh food rich in vitamin C.

Latest posts

Back