Rabbits Online - Informal Anime Club!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saudade

Reaction score
I know I'm an obsessive Otaku (Japanese for someone who is obsessed about something, outside Japan it is used to refer to as a person who is obsessed with everything about Japan!), however I'm sure there must be more of you on the forums!

So what I'm planning to do here, is each week suggest a new Manga or Anime for you guys to try (trust me I've pretty much read/watched nearly everything on this earth!). Plus I'll be running some cool little info bits for those of you who haven't ever seen or read anything from Japan!

First things first! Adults don't dismiss this topic, you don't have to be just a kid to enjoy anime/manga, infact most anime/manga is written for people from 14-72. I attend many people and the one thing I've noticed is that there are lots of people there who aren't kids!

So until I have my first post up and running, feel free to ask me any questions about any of this.

Please don't start with Akira...I swear if I have to listen to that one more time...I'm gonna barf. (Ok....maybe not barf).

But my husband and daughter both watch and read Anime (I think it has a different name if its a book vs. video? Not sure...).

Haha! I'll probably start with something like Hoshi No koe!
It's a beautiful love story about lovers seperated by time an space...

It made me cry my eyes out!

I'm not into anime -at all- but I did go to the Anime Expo here in LA.
When I was trying to convince a friend of mine to come visit me this summer, another friend told her that we have an anime expo and that was one of the things that got her really excited to come to LA.

I think if you want an anime to really get you into the whole Japanese scene, I would start with any of these:
D.Gray-Man: 103 not one wasteful moment in all these episodes I got so hooked I finished the whole thing in about 1 week.

Soul eater: 51 episodes produced by the people who made D.Gray-Man and they are very similar but there both as brilliant as each other.

Tsubasa Chronicle: 52 episodes with 6 Ovas there all really action packed and episode 37 had be in stitches.

Any of these Anime would be brilliant to get you into the Japanese art.

I like anime too. I read the cheezy love ones. I love Kare First Love and Hana-Kimi, and Absolute Boyfriend. I found a show of Absolute Boyfriend, It was so cool. I actually had the chance to go to Japan, it is way awesome, you should definately go if you have the opportunity. 100 yen stores rock my world!

I found a show of Absolute Boyfriend... This is actually done by my single favorite artist for shoujo Yuu Watase. She did Fushigi Yuugi and Ceres. It's easy for me to tell her drawing style.

For anime i'd suggest a short series to start 12.

Here is some of my recomendations (which non otaku have probably never heard of)

H20 Footprints in the sand (based on a light novel)
Shining Tears X(cross) Wind (based on the game of the same name...)

If we want to get into a huge # of episodes by all means

RANMA 1/2!!!!! (hallarious!!!!!!!!)

Please don't start with Akira...I swear if I have to listen to that one more time...I'm gonna barf. (Ok....maybe not barf).

I 100% agree with u. Everyone says that and I get tired of hearing it too, trust me, u'll never heard me say that word ever! lol

i love to draw aimne but, not read or watch it...sorry lol
i might post some drawings if i get the time to do new ones

:biggrin2:Big fan! Have tons.! Went to Anime Boston! Lots of fun.

I've been watching/reading anime/manga since I was ten, when Pokemon first started airing. (no one needs to know how many cards I still have from that time-frame) I don't even know how many series I've seen anymore. Way too many to even try to count them. I'm one of those angry people who refuse to watch them in English because I've watched most of them before they were brought over here and the voices that are chosen are usually so far off from the character it makes me cringe, not to mention the silly usually pointless changes they make. (it's not always horrible, but 90% of the time they take an anime meant for an older crowd and dumb it down for kids so they tend to give them goofy voices and use just ridiculous sounding slang and more American humour when there was not much humour to begin with, things such as Naruto and One Piece suffered terribly. Cartoons for older teens/adults? Clearly that's impossible!) One of my more favourite examples of this was the original Yu-Gi-Oh way back when, the guards in the Japanese version had guns they aimed at them, in the English version, they just pointed their fingers at people. Better not try to run or do anything stupid! We have fingers!

I don't tend to watch as much anime anymore, manga tends to stick true to the story better, it is more easily attained, cheaper if I go to buy it, and just way less filler. It's more readily available as well. I just go into book stores and there it is.

I'm currently reading 07 Ghost, Pandora Hearts, +Anima. Various others too, I don't remember right now all of what I read.

I'm currently reading 07 Ghost, Pandora Hearts, +Anima. Various others too, I don't remember right now all of what I read.

I am watching 07-ghost. I started with PH but i stopped when the fansub channel i was working I was having issues with staff. But i'm also like many others watching so many series to count. It's hard to keep track of some of them!

I also watch many things ONLY subbed as most voices are really bad (most, not all) or really censored and cut so much out. I like things original and enjoy it how it should be, in it's natural language.

Becca look up things first before asking ^^ Oh my friend was talking about a show he's encoding that is also a short cute series..

Strain and Preater (sp?)

Strain is more Teenager idea, and Preater is great show aimed at a younger audiance.

I like Anime! I used to watch a lot of different shows online, Japanese with English Subtitles is my kind of style. I have cut back a lot on my anime watching, but that's because I've finished the series on a lot of them since the Japanese with English Subs are out a lot faster. Death Note, InuYasha, Eureka 7, Wolf's Rain, Elfen Lied, Blood+, Samurai Champloo. Those are the one's I've finished.

Currently I only watch Bleach.

Kris Wabbits wrote:
Becca look up things first before asking ^^
Actually - we try to never discourage people from asking questions...sometimes they might want to hear more about it - like why people like something in particular...

Yah i can understand that, but quickling doing a google search for Anime would find what it is...(sorry it's kinda like asking what a rabbit is...) Then it'd be easy to ask questions of what type etc >< just what i think on this out of let your hare down topic..

Anyways, i finnished watching another episode of Funimation's RXJ (RomeoXJuliet) which is extremly loosely based off of the play. It's worth a watch if u can't stand the way shakespear has it and how BORRING IT IS!!! This is a new spin at the same tale but completely different at the same time. Lena Park (native to english but is korean, this was made when she was trying to get into the Japanese market at singing but only got medocore success) did the opening with Japanese lyrics to "You raise me up" lyrics aren't the same translated, but IMO the japanese lyrics are much nicer with the BGM (back ground music) to YRMU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_x_Juliet

Kris Wabbits wrote:
Yah i can understand that, but quickling doing a google search for Anime would find what it is...(sorry it's kinda like asking what a rabbit is...) Then it'd be easy to ask questions of what type etc >< just what i think on this out of let your hare down topic..

Anyways, i finnished watching another episode of Funimation's RXJ (RomeoXJuliet) which is extremly loosely based off of the play. It's worth a watch if u can't stand the way shakespear has it and how BORRING IT IS!!! This is a new spin at the same tale but completely different at the same time. Lena Park (native to english but is korean, this was made when she was trying to get into the Japanese market at singing but only got medocore success) did the opening with Japanese lyrics to "You raise me up" lyrics aren't the same translated, but IMO the japanese lyrics are much nicer with the BGM (back ground music) to YRMU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_x_Juliet
How can someone not like Shakespeare? :( I love his plays! I went to see a few performed at a theater when I still lived near a decent one. So many common terms come from his plays too, it's really interesting to read through them and figure out what it all means. Besides, there's nothing more entertaining than a giant classroom setting where you all take turns reading different parts and hearing how everyone tries to pronounce it all.

Besides, it's very easy not to know what anime/manga is. I mean, did you know what it was before you watched your first episode? Chances are when you first saw your first anime, whether on TV or a friend showed you, you thought it was just a cartoon with a different animation style. I know when I was young I didn't watch Sailor Moon and think 'whoo yay for anime!'. I was like eight? I still forget it was the first one I watched!

Lol yah but once i learned what it was (from the net, because i looked up the name and found out lots of stuff about it) i started to enjoy different types. Probably my first one ever (this really shows my age /sigh) was Astro Boy and then Little Bush Baby.

Though honestly when i had to take shakespeare in HS i dreaded every single last minute of it. I hated everything about it down to reading the book in old english or new english it was a torment i found.

On the anime style of RXJ i like it a lot more because though it's extremly loosely based off the play (maybe like .000001%) it has a new jolt of life to it. Of maybe something like this could of happened in the old days of what did happen if she was real and not just a "play" but her RL being being made into a play. (Well that's not exactly how it is either.. but in the anime William (Willy) takes in the Capulet girl and a few of her guards/servant and hides them from the Montagues.

Personally i'll gladly watch the anime, but the play no. I don't like old english (i read the prince and the pauper in old english) or the play to be honest.

Latest posts

Back