Rabbit's mate passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarmstrong1

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just made the heartbreaking decision today to have my beautiful 8 year old dwarf PTS. I noticed his eyes bulging intermittently and his behaviour and breathing to be increasingly worse (although my partner said he didnt think there was any change and it was in my head). Well it turned out I was right and he had a large mass in his chest cavity which was pressing against his heart and restricting blood flow and more recently pressing into his chest and restricting his breathing. Up to 2 days ago he was still binkying, eating and be his normal inquisitive self. The vet informed that there was the option of surgery but he did not feel he would pull through and that he was in a lot of distress. Luckily, even in the middle of this pandemic, they let me be with him in the final moments and I got to hold him and provide reassurance. Heartbroken he's gone.
Now I have one single rabbit, his mate who is a lion head dwarf rescue bunny. They were bonded but it wasnt the close bond he had with his previous mate who passed and it took a few weeks to get them to like each other.
I'm just wondering whether she will be happy on her own or how long should I leave it until I look for another bunny to bond her with?

Sorry for long post. Thoughts are all over the place x

I say give her time. I believe that rabbits grieve just as we do.. When you are ready she more than likely will be too. Sorry for the loss. Thougths are with you!

I'm so sorry for your loss, something very similar happened to me and we decided to put our bun to sleep so I also have a single rabbit now, I am planning to get another bun for her as she is still very young, for now I would recommend you spend some more time with him if possible so he doesn't feel too lonely, i think it depends on what you would prefer and what is possible, if you think your rabbit is very lonely I would look into getting him a bunfriend, but if you think he is fine as he is maybe hold off until this lockdown is over and then look on some websites for adopting a bun, Lots of love, hope you and your bun are well and safe x

This is heartbreaking. i am so sorry for your loss. Thankful that you got to spend his final moment with him x

Latest posts

Back