Rabbits can be pretty finicky...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetiora

Reaction score
The more and more I think about it, the more and more I laugh.

When I first got my Fergy, I fed him mustard greens for his veggie(along with pellets and hay of course!;)). Well due to not having readup on rabbits much and whatnot, I switched and/or added stuff to hisveggie menu from mustard greens to kale, some spinach and well....let'sjust say he's had his fair share of greens enough for me to knowroughly what he likes.

He ate Kale over Mustard Greens, he at Carrots over Kale (but only ifthey weren't cold!), he at Spinach over everything and he ateAlfalfa/Clover Sprouts only when he was in the mood. ...and Radisheshe'd eat if they were the only fresh thing left in his dish.

Well recently I've decided to give him a staple of only romaine lettucefor his veggie and it's been working out well except I haven't beenable to figure out how to keep it from going bad within 3 or 4 days andleaving much gone to waste (I eat more baby spinach these days thanromaine lettuce). I ran out today and the store I went to did not haveromain lettuce :shock: Of course that's also why you do not go shoppinglate at night I guess...well anyhow. I took a few mustard greens homeand put them in his "treat ball" (I use it as a veggie ball becauseit's about the right size for a daily serving with his weight).

He sniffs it....nibbles on a leaf.....and then decides he's going towait out for the romaine lettuce that he has apparently come to love somuch! :D Now he's just laying in his cage flopped to one side waitingfor me to 'quit kidding around and give him the good stuff!'Ahahahahahaha :p I'm just so tickled! Who'd have thought he'd cultivatehis personal tastes so soon?! I guess it's off to another storetomorrow to get him some romaine lettuce for his dinner salad :cool:Funny how a bunny trains you eh?

Fairly safe to say most buns enjoy softer, tendershoots of green, regardless of the type. Don't neglect to trydandelion, available in your own yard, if not at the super market.

Most our buns enjoy radish greens, but don't care for the vegetableitself. Bok choy, turnip geens, collard greens are also appreciated.

We usually look for what's on sale, or a local produce retailer willsometimes povide us with "rabbit food," Costco has an excellent deal onspinach and/or hearts of romaine that we purchase frequently.

Buck

Yeah, so far his favorite is spinach I think, butbecause of the oxilates he doesn't get much *waggles a finger atFergy*. Especially since he's a dwarf ~_~; My problem is with only onevegetable eating animal in the house it goes bad so fast! I willdefinately be keeping a clsoe eye on the "how do you store yourveggies?" thread! :D If I'm ever able to afford more bunnies it willdefinately be easier! :)

Back