Rabbits and Wild Life.. sort of.. Mice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantDutchThis

Reaction score
I've found a MOUSE in my house. ( My apartment is above a barn, so I'm not surprised) I've heard them in the walls all winter but never came across one or any signs that they were in side my apartment. Well I just went to get a drink from the kitchen and turned on the faucet and out jumps a mouse!!

My question is, Is my rabbit at any risk from this? I will be of course taking immediate action to get them out of my house, but stews cage is on the floor. has about a 7" high plastic bottom, and wire caging on top of that.

I have his food sealed in a plastic container way up high so I can see if anything gets in it.

But is there any risk to stew? I don't have anywhere to put his cage up off the floor, and even if I did well I'm sure if the mouse wanted to, it could get at him, it was in my sink after all.

I would think a mouse would be scared of a rabbit, but to be safe, could you wrap some netting around the cage with openings smaller than a mouse can get through, like maybe 1/2"? And mice like to stay near walls, so if the cage is away from any wall or furniture to hide by, it's unlikely to be brave enough to get anywhere near the cage. But a very unsettling experience for you.

Thanks for your reassurance!

Stew does make a lot of noise,especially at night so I can't see the mouse wanting to come around him, but I'll move him away from the wall. I do put a blanket over his cage at night so he knows its 'bed time' so hopefully that will keep the mouse out too.
Thankyou again.

I found a mouse in my room, RIGHT beside Toby's cage. I'm like Larry, I'm a trapper. I don't want to risk Toby's health or mine!

But, adding on to what Orlena said, mice can squeeze through absolutely TINY spaces. And I do mean tiny. If you're going to wrap the cage, the mesh needs to be like tiny tiny tiny openings because they squeeze through the smallest places imaginable.

Oh trust me, I don't plan on sharing my space with this little mouse, I'm not going to risk my rabbit, or myself.. that and the mess. No thanks!

Just wanted to make sure in the mean time until I catch the darned thing, That my rabbit wasn't in direct horrible danger- because I would have moved him elsewhere!

Thanks all!:big wink:

Just make sure that all the food and hay are stored in closed bins so the mouse can't get into it and pee/poop in there. :)When I lived with my parents, we had a very serious mouse problem. I hated them having to be trapped but they were chewing wires in the wall and when they renovated the house, they even saw where a fire had started. It's too bad they couldn't choose less harmful activities!

Latest posts

Back