Rabbits and Dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mndpnd2298

Reaction score
I brought my rabbit on spring break with me to myboyfriends house in Florida and she had her first introduction to adog. At first she was scared now she just doesnt really wantanything to do with it. the dog however is falling her aroundand smelling her and just keeps crying. She is not trying toattack or anything she just stands by it and follows the rabbit aroundand cries. Does anyone know why the dog is doingthis? Does anyone else let their dogs and rabbits be togetherand how did they react when you first introduced them. Isthere any way to make them get along ok.

Hello,

I have a dog who cries at the cage door, until I let my monkey's out...At first the rabbits were VERY cautious. But now they run to thier doorwhen he comes in the room. Daytona, my dog, also is VERY well behavedaround our chameleon, who has full run of the house. He acts as amother to all of our animals...

He grooms the bunnies, and they groom him!

2agoyd

For your dog to develope a positive relationship with your bunny, a few factors come to play here.

a) what breed your dog is. If it's a terrier, it'll probably want to chase, as that is what they are bred to do, etc.

b) What kind of control you have, does your dog lead the pack in your house?

c) who your dog is... Is he/she affectionate, and mother-like?

Onlyyou know your dog. Although when introucing a dog to yournew pet, whether it be a rabbit, cat, or another dog, you should alwayshave it on a leash... That way if things don't go as you planned, youalways have control of the situation!

When introducing our 'old' pets, to our 'new' pets, you should alsoALWAYSmake the expience a positive one! I gave Daytona treasfor laying on the floor in the rabbit room, not running, not chasing,and no barking...

So sorry to ramble on here! LMBO! It's probabky more than you wanted to know eh?

Anyway, welcome!:)

Lyndsy and 'the monkeys'

Never leave the dog and bunny alone together. Nomatter how much you trust your dog something could go wrong. My bunnywas killed 2 days ago by my sisters dog so be careful.

bunnylover78642 wrote:
Never leave the dog and bunny alone together. No matter how muchyou trust your dog something could go wrong. My bunny was killed 2 daysago by my sisters dog so be careful.

Yes, even the most trustworthy of dogs should never be allowedunsupervised with your rabbit. All it takes is an inadvertantsnap or paw swipe from your dog for a tragedy to occur.

I was just coming here to this board to find out if it's cool if my dog eats my rabbits droppings.

My dog, cat and rabbit were just having a "bonding" moment and before Iknew it, the dog was cleaning up all the droppings like a livingvacuum.

My dogs have always gotten along with my rabbits. Once theanimals in the housesee "I" have a new baby,they understand.

Is it OK for a dog to eat rabbit droppings? I suppose I will know soon enough.

bojay wrote:
Iwas just coming here to this board to find out if it's cool if my dogeats my rabbits droppings.

My dog, cat and rabbit were just having a "bonding" moment and before Iknew it, the dog was cleaning up all the droppings like a livingvacuum.

My dogs have always gotten along with my rabbits. Once theanimals in the housesee "I" have a new baby,they understand.

Is it OK for a dog to eat rabbit droppings? I suppose I will know soon enough.
Whenever we take my dog outside to go to the bathroom the first thinghe does is eat all the rabbit droppings he can. We try tostop him, but it's almost impossible. He hasn't gotten sickyet and he has been doing this for years. :?

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I heard the tamest house cats can be the most fiercepredatorsonce they get outside. :(
Which is why our cats are indoors ;).I'd really rather not have them decimating the local wildlife population.

Cats are very good predators. My cats live aindoor/ outdoor life and they have brought us rats, mice,bunnies:(,birds, and once a budgie!!! But usually we can save thembefore they actually hurt them.

Latest posts

Back