Rabbit stress....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke

Reaction score
Hello again, and thanks so much for all of your help and encouragement!!

As I've read more and more about bunnies, it sounds like they getstressed out pretty easily. I would certainly never want tostress out a bunny, so I need a little advice. I really wantto adopt a bunny from a shelter, but I have a question: I am planningon attending graduate school across the country from where I amcurrently living (I'm in Phoenix), which will essentially involve twomoves-one from Phoenix to Minnesota (where my family lives, and where Iwill be staying from the time my lease here runs out until I go tograduate school), and then from Minnesota to wherever I get accepted tograd school (preferably on the east coast!!). Have any of youhad long-distance moves with your furry friends? Should Iwait until after I get settled in grad school to buy a bunny, thussparing it two long-distance car trips?

Any feedback you can give me would be very helpful. I'mleaning more towards waiting until I am more settled so that I don'tstress my new friend out, but I'm always interested in what peoplethink. I'd love to hear from you....you have all beenextremely helpful so far!!

-Brooke

First i must say thank you for learning about bunnies before you jump into them :bunnydance:

Buns do stress easily, but some are more hardy than others. If youdecide to get a bun before you move, i would recommend either a shelterwhere they can tell you about the rabbits temperament beforehand (laidback is always good), orperhaps a breeder that handles thierbuns alot and exposes them to some different situations (may be hard tofind, but worth it if you have your heart set on a baby).

Either way though, all rabbits are different. My bun Pepper *loves* carrides, but Gaelyn *hates* them, but can tolerate them ok (we had a 3hour drive from the shelter we adopted her from, she was freaked, butdid fine. {that also means Pep was in the car for 6 hours}).

Things that stress buns the most in my experiencearepredator-like animals andloud noises. Even theloud noises they can get used to though.

Also, depending on when you plan on leaving, you could get the bun now and start getting it used to traveling.

Bunnyslave, Slavetoabunny, Seniorcats, do any of you remember wherecourtney lived before her and pita moved to Arizona? Wasnt itaround the area shes going to?

Hope this helps you out some :)

There have been several people whose buns havemoved long distance. Slavetoabunny moved from California toFlorida with her buns. Tank was taken in a bunny train(passed off from person to person) from Wisconsin to NewHampshire. Bassetluv had Raphael flown in to her. Ihaven't seen her around lately, but Irishmist flew with her bunny Cleowhen she moved from Canada to the US. And Dootsmom is havinga rescue rabbit flown out to her now.

But yes, rabbits are affected a lot by stress. How soon areyou moving? If it's after this semester then IMO you mightwant to wait because as soon as the bun gets settled he'll be moved toa new place. If it's not for a while yet then go ahead, butif you are flying then find out the policies of rabbits in thecabin. Don't let them put him in the luggage part- it's notas climate controled and it would be more scary. He'll bemore calm if he knows you are there, too.

every bunny is a little different, some can takechange well, some cannot. and i'm not sure you'll find out right away.i have noticed from having 3 bunnies, that personality reveals over alonger time than pehaps you'd be able to spend with a bunny at ashelter.

Also, think about yourself too. it might stress you out to worry aboutthe rabbit. and during school, you might not need that stress. Maybethe is a shelter you can volunteer at. This might help you find a bunnyyou can get to know, or appease your desire to spend time with bunnies.Also you might be able to become a foster bunny parent. so for a shorttime you can give a bun a good home till you decide.

Hope this helps, but follow your heart, it'll lead you well.

Nicole

Well, since you don't have a bunny yet, I wouldbe inclined to wait. A bunny could certainly handle a move, though. Soif you happen to see a bunny now that just seems "right", then I wouldjust follow my gut and go for it.

When i got my bunny, she was living with somehomeless kids on the street,there were busses and carswhizzing around just inches from her head, and she wasn't phased a bit.

Now she travels with me everywhere I go, and other than being occasionally mad at me, she travels well.

My other bunny gets nervous, but not too bad, he never seems to get upset enough not to eat. :rollseyes:

If you're getting a bunny fronm a shelter, they should be able to tellyou who travels well, and who may have stressproblems.Personally I'd get one sooner than later,and work on getting him/her used to it.

Why don't you foster an adoptable rabbit and see how that works out?That will give you three months to assess thatparticularbunny.

SAS :)and PIPP(bull) :dancing:

naturestee wrote:
If it's not for a while yet then go ahead, but if you areflying then find out the policies of rabbits in the cabin.Don't let them put him in the luggage part- it's not as climatecontroled and it would be more scary.
I'm pretty sure the only airlines that now allows rabbit in the cabinis Delta. I've been in contact with Delta to confirm their policies andprocedures, but have never used their service.

[url]http://www.[highlight=#ffff88]delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp[/url]

~Jim

IMO.....Before getting a bunnie I would want to be sure that it would be allowed at my final destination.

It would be a terrible thing to get attached to a bun and then have torehome because it wouldn't be allowed in the apartment/house/condo/etc.on the east coast.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back