Rabbit Stopped eating food. Vets clueless...again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get those teeth filed down. The teeth will not resolve themselves and will get worse. Prince had molar spurs and stopped eating and was dehydrated. I had to give him Critical care for a while and give him sub-q fluids, then he had his teeth filed down by a vet in Kirkland, Washington and pain meds and he felt better. I feed Prince lots of hay to keep his teeth from getting molar spurs again. Sweetie also gets lots of hay.

But get those teeth fixed asap. He will eat the soft stuff until you get those teeth fixed then he will eat the hard stuff again.

I hope he feels better soon.

Sweetie wrote:
Get those teeth filed down. The teeth will not resolve themselves and will get worse. Prince had molar spurs and stopped eating and was dehydrated. I had to give him Critical care for a while and give him sub-q fluids, then he had his teeth filed down by a vet in Kirkland, Washington and pain meds and he felt better. I feed Prince lots of hay to keep his teeth from getting molar spurs again. Sweetie also gets lots of hay.

But get those teeth fixed asap. He will eat the soft stuff until you get those teeth fixed then he will eat the hard stuff again.

I hope he feels better soon.

Sweetie is right about the teeth

Several local vets looked at my rabbit's teeth (RIP Beau)and told me that his molars were fine and his incisors were overgrown. WhenI went to an animal dentistI learned that my rabbit had his molars growing sideways into his gums. this required dental work and even a stitch in his mouth ( OWWWH)
Dental xrays can determine a great deal re. the molars and tooth roots.
A visual exam is not a good way to daignose teeth problems ; very difficult to visulize the teeth when the rabbit is squirming around.

I am increasingly disgusted by veterinarians who can not admit that they do not know something; it is only the animal that ends up suffering

I agree with you 100% angieluv. My vet lets me know when he doesn't know something like the rabbit spay. But because he was the cheapest and I had the money that he was costing he did extensive research on how to do a rabbit spay. Sweetie came through with flying colors.

Thank you for the comment on the teeth issue, angieluv.

It may be costly but it is worth the cost to get the teeth fixed, rather than the cost of many vet bills because those teeth weren't fixed right away.

Well he's back eating everything again, even hard grain. The spurs on his teeth were only tiny but we will get his teeth checked properly now he's better and can have the xrays etc.

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back